Neith's Henna Results (and more questions)

Neith

Kay, I did my first henna treatment over the weekend.

My mix - 100g henna
Green Tea
Orange Essential Oil (added right before application)

That's it :)

I let it sit for about 14 hours, then applied it.

Now, I'm not sure about my experience (Kiya! Help! :))...

1) I don't see much color in my hair... I know it's the first one and all, but I was expecting a lil' bit more. I'm not sure if I waited long enough for good dye release or that's just how it is after a first treatment on dark hair.

2) I rinsed for like 30 minutes in total and used half a family sized bottle of suave plus a full dc treatment to get it out. When I put my moisturizer on, it turns faint orange. On the first day, my collar got stained slightly. Is that normal? If it's not then daaaaaang... what do I have to do? Rinse for an hour??

3) How long do you let your jamila henna sit for dye release? I'm not sure I let it sit long enough. I dipped my finger in it, let it sit for 30 seconds and my finger came out a little orange... but it was only a slight stain. It only lasted for a few hours.

Other than that my hair responded very well to the henna. No dryness, less breakage and softer hair. It initially made me have less curl definition, but my hair is back to normal now. You can only see the color in direct light.

A pic...

img0385ym3.jpg

That was taken the first day. See how the curls don't want to form compared to my avatar pic? It's not like that anymore, but that was strange. I can see the red in it, but it's very faint.

All and all, I like henna. The smell doesn't bother me very much when it's fresh henna. The orange oil helped too. I assume that the color will get deeper with repeated applications. The softness is very nice too. I got strength from the henna, but my hair didn't even get a little hard or brittle or dry like it does with protein treatments. It's softer than before! :yep:

:woot: Yay!!! I'm glad the smell wasn't too much!

I've never had to let my henna sit for 14 hours to get color to release :nono: in my mind, that's long enough for the color to release and start to demise. I've heard of people doing such, and it always blows my mind. I think the longest I've ever had to wait was 2 hours, or so - but then I also like to put it on my head as soon as the dye releases, and leave it on for as long as possible, so that all of the color is releasing on my head. I'd suggest mixing up a little bit, and checking it every hour or so to see when the color actually releases - that might be why the color didn't come in as dark/heavy on your hair, or on your finger.

You know henna acts like a cellophane, right, and just coats your current color, not changes it, yes? :look: :lol:

Dang. That's a whole lotta rinsing. I always mixed conditioner directly with the henna, and I rinse for about 15 minutes and the water runs clearish.... :lol:

:woot: Yay!!! I'm glad the smell wasn't too much!

I've never had to let my henna sit for 14 hours to get color to release :nono: in my mind, that's long enough for the color to release and start to demise. I've heard of people doing such, and it always blows my mind. I think the longest I've ever had to wait was 2 hours, or so - but then I also like to put it on my head as soon as the dye releases, and leave it on for as long as possible, so that all of the color is releasing on my head. I'd suggest mixing up a little bit, and checking it every hour or so to see when the color actually releases - that might be why the color didn't come in as dark/heavy on your hair, or on your finger.

You know henna acts like a cellophane, right, and just coats your current color, not changes it, yes? :look: :lol:

Dang. That's a whole lotta rinsing. I always mixed conditioner directly with the henna, and I rinse for about 15 minutes and the water runs clearish.... :lol:

Everywhere I read online says jamila needs 12 hours (even up to 24 hours) to have optimal dye release.

On even on henna sooq it says that.

But you use jamila and just let it sit for 2 hours? Next time I"ll try it sooner.

Yeah, I know it just coats the hair, but I was expecting more. Even if you can't see it unless in direct light I thought it would be a deeper, wine/burgandy color, but I guess that comes over time.

The water was running clean after 10 minutes, then I rinsed for 10 extra minutes to be sure.

Then I put my dc on and my heating cap, and when I took it off, what do I see? Bright orange deep conditioner :lol: So I rinse for another 10 mins and it's still on there! Dang!

I don't like the consistency my conditioner makes the henna, it got all fluffy and lumpy, so I just did it straight :perplexed I meant to add some honey though.

I'm glad you had a good experience with it. I'll try that henna when mine runs out. I still have 5 boxes of Jamila and 1 bag of Rahjastani

That's weird - no, I've never had that happen.

*think* I've used Jamilla only once, and I still don't think I left it for that long. :look: Maybe I didn't have a batch of pure Jamilla?

Yeah, it takes a couple of layers to get that deep rich color - it starts out a lil orangey...

That's weird - no, I've never had that happen.

*think* I've used Jamilla only once, and I still don't think I left it for that long. :look: Maybe I didn't have a batch of pure Jamilla?

Yeah, it takes a couple of layers to get that deep rich color - it starts out a lil orangey...

Weird stuff always happens to me :lol: when I put some conditioner in, it got grainy and fluffy. I didn't like it at all.

How do you know that henna has released the dye? I tried putting a piece of paper in there, but it didn't really show any big difference in stain. It was brownish at first and ever so slightly brownish/orangish later. What's it supposed to look like?

Back