Neith's D3 Experience - Denman Theory?

Neith

I just tried the denman D3 first time as a natural.

That thing is AMAZIIIIIIIIIING.

I love it!

I have tried it before texlaxed and it ripped my hair out and didn't make my hair look any different.

but now... my hair is more glossy and defined :yep:

Even my twistout looks different! More shiny and more curl definition.

I also noticed how it got my ends all SMOOTH. Should be EXCELLENT for rollersets.

I'm so sorry y'all... I tried to take pics, but my camera is out of battery.

It's not that the look of the hair is much different ( It looks better - more shine and more coilies, but not drastically different.) The FEEL of it is drastically different though. The way it behaves. It has much more body too!

Wow. Just had to share!

For naturals especially, definitely try this brush!

Why does the denman work this way though?

It smooths the heck out of the hair. Does it work by making the cuticles close down more?

:needpics:

lol Sorry, but I've always wanted to use that.

I love the Denman too! I think I have the D4. I started just cowashing and detangling with my Denman. My curls get gorgeously defined, but shrinks up a lot.

It's interesting that you say it didn't work that well with your texlaxed hair. I bought it when there was a lot of hype, but I found that it snagged my hair when I was transitioning. I tried it again after I was all natural, and it worked like a charm. I don't even notice a lot of hair in the brush after I detangle.

Last edited:
I dont know whether I am shedding more but I seem to see a lot more hair on my deman than I am used to...:perplexed

Dang it! I purchased mine last week, but my hair is three textured at the moment, so the denman probably wouldn't work as well for me :(

I dont know whether I am shedding more but I seem to see a lot more hair on my deman than I am used to...:perplexed

Are you 100% natural? I only ask because I notice that I would get balls of hair on my denman when I was transitioning, and I hated it. I had to stop using. After I became natural, I tried it again and I no longer have that issue. I'm not sure what that's about.

I don't know if I have the D3 or D4, but it is great. I also have the large paddle brush too! If you go to my natural album I have a picture where I used my denman I think it's April 2003. It is a great brush that really smooths out the hair!

This is an old picture, but it shows how good the brush is:
April2003unstraightenedsideshot2-vi.jpg

I have the D3 and my new D41 came last week. Both are great on my daughter's natural hair, but the D41 sails through like BUTTER. I use couple squirts of conditioner in water in a squirt bottle and detangle with the D41 and it has never been so easy. All naturals should give the D41 a try.

I just bought a d4 but since I grew up being told not to use brushes I don't know if I'll actually use it, it's scary looking. I don't know if I can trust myself to be gentle with it and not tear out my hair.

i used mine today too. i try to only use it once a week becacause my fingers are good enough. it makes my curls bigger and more of an curly afro instead of just curls. i knew it was time to use it today because the left side of my hair is much different than the right so not only does it not absorb product the same but that side seems like its tangled every other day.

i also have the denman paddle brush and i loved it when i was relaxed. i used it on my natural hair once and it was nice.

Disclaimer: I don't promise this for everyone. I am strictly speaking for my hair and my hair's experience with the D3. :lol:

My hair has been known to break brush bristles, comb teeth, a few brush/comb handles here and there if I was brushing a section too big and was in too much of a hurry. But the Denman? It neither rips my hair out, nor does it get broken.

You know how the pinky-orange rubber base slides out for cleaning? Well, I did not know this when I bought the brush. :look: So the first time I was being a little too rough with my hair, I discovered the base slides out. I thought I had destroyed the brush (not again! :blush: ), but upon inspection realized the brush was supposed to be able to do this. A simple way for the brush to protect itself, and also save my hair. If the base starts sliding, I know I need to be gentler on my hair and/or work with a smaller section. :yep:

I just bought a d4 but since I grew up being told not to use brushes I don't know if I'll actually use it, it's scary looking. I don't know if I can trust myself to be gentle with it and not tear out my hair.

You definitely should take your time! :yep: And first detangle with a widetoothed comb. but try at least once. It really brings your texture out. And my hair is more shiny.

What I find is that the bristles are very flexible. My hair bends the bristles. So is the rubber base. So if you are careful, it doesn't have to be a disaster.

Disclaimer: I don't promise this for everyone. I am strictly speaking for my hair and my hair's experience with the D3. :lol:

My hair has been known to break brush bristles, comb teeth, a few brush/comb handles here and there if I was brushing a section too big and was in too much of a hurry. But the Denman? It neither rips my hair out, nor does it get broken.

You know how the pinky-orange rubber base slides out for cleaning? Well, I did not know this when I bought the brush. :look: So the first time I was being a little too rough with my hair, I discovered the base slides out. I thought I had destroyed the brush (not again! :blush: ), but upon inspection realized the brush was supposed to be able to do this. A simple way for the brush to protect itself, and also save my hair. If the base starts sliding, I know I need to be gentler on my hair and/or work with a smaller section. :yep:

I thought I broke mine too at first too :lol:

I lost about half a cotton ball's worth of hair. Not bad considering that I haven't detangled at all for 3 or 4 days. It's more than I usually get, but I think it the denman gets all the shed hair out.

and it does something to the hair. The "denmaned" hair feels different... much more smooth and clumps the hair up so nicely!

I as tempted to just do a wash n go, but my hair looked even shorter than it does normally. I definitely see it working for me with longer hair.

I didn't expect to like it. I couldn't imagine it would work so differently. I literally hated this brush when I was relaxed.

I do love how it smooths the hair, and gets all the way to the scalp - but I noticed that it only defines the ends of my hair.

So it makes it look like a fro with curly ends -- which kind of ruins the point of shingling and the like. Anyone else having this experience? Maybe I need one with wider teeth for shingling, and then I can use this one for bunning?

I do love how it smooths the hair, and gets all the way to the scalp - but I noticed that it only defines the ends of my hair.

So it makes it look like a fro with curly ends -- which kind of ruins the point of shingling and the like. Anyone else having this experience? Maybe I need one with wider teeth for shingling, and then I can use this one for bunning?

Which one did you use? D3?

They do have wider ones, now I want to go try those too :)

I'm thinking that my hair is not shingleable... or I need more length/weight to my hair to get it to stay stretched out looking. Or I'm not using the right product. I have to work on shingling.

It did define the whole hair shaft for me though.

Soleil,
That's what I got too when I first used it, a 'fro instead of definition. I need to go look up what kind I have. Am I even supposed to be using this on my TWA? I need some help:perplexed
Also, where is everyone getting theirs? The only Sally's near me only had one kind.

My D3 ripped out my hair...I had to switch to Goody. Everyone love these things...I want them to work for me, but my hair keeps saying "No!".

I'm natural (virgin-haired at that) and it was a no go. I'm glad you found something that works for you. It's a good feeling, LOL.

This happens to me too, i have no clue why. I have the D4 but the D41 is much wider.

Back