Neith's 1000th henna question...

Neith

Ladies that mix their henna with conditioner... does the henna behave differently than henna with no conditioner?

I'm not talking about henna glosses, just people who add some conditioner to their (mostly) henna mix.

Do you get less color and strengthening from the henna? Less tangling?

I've done it both ways. The conditioner makes is go on easier and there is less dryness. I found that leaving henna on a little longer helps with better color release. As far as straightening I have not noticed much of that. I think if your hair can take a super strength relaxer for 20mins and still not be bone straight that you may be a little disappointed with straightening /decrease in shrinkage from henna. But,its worth a try. I really prefer the Jamila henna now for better/more long lasting color. Curlynikki's suggestion of chamomile tea added seemed to help with improved color release as well.

Mine doesn't behave differently aside from I have an easier time rinsing. And I use a metric ton of Con in my mixes typically. I still get good color release and my hair isn't quite so dry when I'm done.

I also use conditioner when I'm rinsing the henna out and that makes it easier as well.

I've done it both ways. The conditioner makes is go on easier and there is less dryness. I found that leaving henna on a little longer helps with better color release. As far as straightening I have not noticed much of that. I think if your hair can take a super strength relaxer for 20mins and still not be bone straight that you may be a little disappointed with straightening /decrease in shrinkage from henna. But,its worth a try. I really prefer the Jamila henna now for better/more long lasting color. Curlynikki's suggestion of chamomile tea added seemed to help with improved color release as well.

lol, I'm so over fighting shrinkage. I went to war with shrinkage, fought hard and lost :lachen:

I just think it's a good option to help at least a little bit and keep my hair strong. Plus I think the color would look good.

LOL @ the title. I asked a bazillion questions too. I'm a relaxed head.

Ladies that mix their henna with conditioner... does the henna behave differently than henna with no conditioner? Yes and no. Without conditioner it's the consistency of mud. With, it's kinda like frosting. I mix conditioner and oils to my henna mix though.

I'm not talking about henna glosses, just people who add some conditioner to their (mostly) henna mix.

Do you get less color and strengthening from the henna? I get full color and good strengthening, it's just not as drying. My leave in time varies. The last time I used it was several months ago and I still have the color.

Less tangling? Definitely. :yep:

Im honestly still tryna figure out what henna and all that Indian stuff is. I really wanna use it sometime next year. Ive managed to figure out what everything else was (acronyms and all), but still not the henna. LOL. Atleast u know what it is Neith.

Hey Neith, you know this ayurvedic thing can go on and on. I have the Jamila brand and have not used it yet. I wanted color release then changed my mind. Now I just want to use it for conditioning/strengthening purposes. How long do you leave the henna on to condition and strengthening. I know this question has been answered but here I go.

I've done it both ways, but I only use the heavy on conditioner one now.

I find that if I use less conditioner, I can leave it on for less time, and still get a really good color. However, if I use as much conditioner as I like to use (about half and half), I have to leave it on for a while to get as good as a color.

I don't mind, because I usually leave henna on all day, and overnight sometimes. So. The benefit of having much moister hair, and have no problem rinsing it out, totally out weigh the hassle of having to 'wear' the henna for 12+ hours. :look: I can tie a mean scarf. ;)

I get no tangling, and it allows my henna to act a lot like a DC. :yep:

Neith, how often are you going to Henna? Because I noticed that CurlyNikki had to do it on a regular basis... I think like once a week... to see her texture loosen.

Mine doesn't behave differently aside from I have an easier time rinsing. And I use a metric ton of Con in my mixes typically. I still get good color release and my hair isn't quite so dry when I'm done.

I also use conditioner when I'm rinsing the henna out and that makes it easier as well.

LOL @ the title. I asked a bazillion questions too. I'm a relaxed head.

Ladies that mix their henna with conditioner... does the henna behave differently than henna with no conditioner? Yes and no. Without conditioner it's the consistency of mud. With, it's kinda like frosting. I mix conditioner and oils to my henna mix though.

Do you get less color and strengthening from the henna? I get full color and good strengthening, it's just not as drying. My leave in time varies. The last time I used it was several months ago and I still have the color.

Less tangling? Definitely. :yep:

I find that if I use less conditioner, I can leave it on for less time, and still get a really good color. However, if I use as much conditioner as I like to use (about half and half), I have to leave it on for a while to get as good as a color.

I don't mind, because I usually leave henna on all day, and overnight sometimes. So. The benefit of having much moister hair, and have no problem rinsing it out, totally out weigh the hassle of having to 'wear' the henna for 12+ hours. :look: I can tie a mean scarf. ;)

Agree with all the above except henna'ing all night to overnight. The longest I have left my henna on is 4 hours and the shortest is 2 hours I think and I always mix mine with conditioner to prevent excessive drying of my hair.

I mostly want the conditioning and strengthening power of henna more so than the coloring so I'm fine with whatever color I get. I do like indigo's hair darkening power though:yep:.

Im honestly still tryna figure out what henna and all that Indian stuff is. I really wanna use it sometime next year. Ive managed to figure out what everything else was (acronyms and all), but still not the henna. LOL. Atleast u know what it is Neith.

lol, try looking at this http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/

Hmmm... do you DC after as well or just rinse and go?

Neith, how often are you going to Henna? Because I noticed that CurlyNikki had to do it on a regular basis... I think like once a week... to see her texture loosen.

I'm thinking once a month, but I'll see how my hair reacts to the stuff. My hair is going to do what it wants to do regardless of what I put on it, it's some very stubborn hair.

I'm going to try *gulp* to embrace my shrinkage and just let it be how it wants to be. I can't do anything else with it :lol:

Hmmm... do you DC after as well or just rinse and go?

It really depends on how my hair feels when I rinse it out. I think that I DC more often than I don't DC, but there have been several times when I didn't, and my hair was fine. :yep:

I mix my henna with conditioner to combat the drying effects that it has. After the treatment my hair still feels strong and looks shiny. You can mix your henna with conditioner and oils and it doesn't affect the process at all, at least not in my case.

Back