Needed: super hydrator for 4c hair

HeChangedMyName

My daughter has coarse hair that looks dry all the time. It feels dry, even when wet. What can I do to break thru her hair cuticle? Water bounces off.it is as though her hair has zero porosity

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner on dry hair with heat :grin: I find DCing on dry hair helpful for low porosity hair, because the water seems to seep in first and 'fill' the hair up before the conditioner can work. The good thing with low porosity hair is that, once you get some moisture into her hair, it will be there for a while. Good luck!

Mild acidic stuff will lift the cuticle, if you're sure porosity is her issue. After a wash, try a watery baking soda and massage in then rinse it out REALLY WELL. It should life the cuticle a little. Then rinse with really warm water. Then DC her. Then rinse with cool water or ACV to close the cuticle back up. Baking soda is also a good clarifier and leaves the hair soft. Which could also be good because her problem might also be product buildup

Hooded dryer, caps, or steam might force them open as well.

I'm sure folks will have other suggestions.

Aubrey Organics GPB is great for this. It's a restructuring protein-moisture balancing conditioner. I used to have the same problem, hair that would never get wet, and stayed hard & dry all the time. The affects last for about a week, so it's best to use weekly. The GPB helps my hair to accept moisture, as well as weekly oil rinsing. Other than getting her deep conditioning on point, find a good daily spritz, creamy leave-in and sealer.

Maybe its the shampoo causing the dryness. l have issues with shampoo. No matter what shampoo l try, my hair always ends up a dry mess.So maybe try co washing first and then deep condition. Rinse and then seal with black castor oil and try shea moisture products . my favourite is the curling souffle as it contains humectants.

Keep hair moisturised during the week with Taliah waajids protective mist bodifyer
check out the reviews on it here. its really good. Another thing l noticed with my hair is that it looses moisture when i have it loose, so now l mainly twist/braid it up for weeks then start the whole process again. just try to keep her routine as simple as possible with as little manipulations as possible.

HTH.

^^^ Yes, yes, I forgot to mention the shampoo. That alone can dry your hair out to the extent you cannot get moisture back into it. This is why dilute my shampoo in a color applicator bottle and only shampoo my scalp (about 3 squirts shampoo, 8oz water). My hair is also always covered in a pre-poo treatment before shampoo. I make sure to never dry it out. If her hair still feels dry during the wash process, then you have to make adjustments so that her hair never feels this dry at any phase.

Last edited:
I have 4c hair and getting rid of dryness was a huge problem for me. I've been using S-Curl moisturizer and it works like a dream! It's the only thing I've found to keep my hair feeling moisturizer and soft. And it's cheap! Def. check it out :)

Thanks ladies. I will have to try some of these things. Right now her, hair is braided down. I did it Sunday and from the looks of it, I may be able to squeeze four weeks out of this style. I do plan to wash her hair while it is braided, I may do a dry DC too. and I think I have some Aubrey in my stash.

Great advice here. My daughter has the same hair challenges you described and I'm going to try these as well.

The most moisturizing mix I've found so far is Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose mixed with desert organics coconut conditioner and a tablespoon or two of raw honey. I would use it every 1-2 weeks until her moisture balance is better then you could probably go every 2-4 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Great advice here. My daughter has the same hair challenges you described and I'm going to try these as well.

Let me know what works for you. My DD is at her dad's house so I can't try anything right NOW like I want to. lol

I've tried the baking soda before, it softened her hair a bit and it seemed like a tad bit more water seeped in. I've also tried a strong shampoo to strip her hair of buildup and that wasn't it, I use Organix macadamia oil shampoo on her which is sulfate free. I've tried co-washing, but her hair gets dirty(she's 6) she needs cleansing thoroughly. This is what her hair looks like finger detangled fresh out of pony tails. it is dry city. but believe it or not, I had been rewetting it daily to redo her pony tails. I don't want to endanger her length by allowing this dry issue to continue.

294315_10151131434937138_1384956124_n.jpg

I promised myself I wouldn't recommend this product until it could PROVE that it'll really stand up to the test of time: 3 months in and it's a wrap, I've found my staple moisturizer.

Palmer's Coconut Hair Milk, please please try this on your daughter's hair. I'm telling you. I've tried EVERYTHING, from salon brands to my Korean beauty supply run of the mill moisturizer. Don't use too much. Put it on at night, cover up her hair with a hair cap and just prepare to be amazed in the morning.

I understand that a product works differently based on different hair practices and textures, so FYI: I'm relaxed, I wash 2x a week work out 3-5x a week, don't DC at all (just once after a relaxer and before a relaxer with Aphogee's 2 step).

chicoro's moisture drenched prepoo!

(side note: your little princess is adorable! i love her hair! tell cutie pie she is in good hands with you. :) )

Thanks ladies. I will have to try some of these things. Right now her, hair is braided down. I did it Sunday and from the looks of it, I may be able to squeeze four weeks out of this style. I do plan to wash her hair while it is braided, I may do a dry DC too. and I think I have some Aubrey in my stash.

You can do a dry DC on her braids. I always do. Even on cornrows. I actually do the moisture drench pre-poo (or just lightly dampen my hair w/water & evco) http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=509482, and then layer the DC right on top. Shampoo scalp, then rinse it ALL out as a dual co/wash/rinse process. One last note, make sure you are getting her hair wet everyday. Just a moist spritz should be enough. Here's some FAQ's answered on this issue, particularly Q3 www.komazahaircare.com/faqs.html

My dd is 3 and just got her real hair in. She has 4a, 4b and 4z! LOL Her hair is really thick. I used Hairveda Red Tea moisturizer on her hair and I was surprised at how good it made her hair feel.

I keep her hair in mini braids or mini plaits depending on how I feel and I wash her hair with diluted Shea Moisture Retention shampoo (love that stuff) and it doesn't dry her hair out. I usually wash her hair using shampoo twice a month unless she gets sand in her hair at school. :wallbash:

Also because her hair is kept braided, I put VO5 conditioner on her braids then rinse out leaving some in then put more Red Tea on in the am. I just got finishing taking the front of her hair out and I was surprised at how moisturized it still was.

I also do prepoo's with honey on her hair when I take her braids out.

HeChangedMyName (gosh, I love your name) I just read your post that you are wetting your daugthers hair daily and that's good. If it's just plain water, that is not enough-- it may be hard water. A moisture spritz particularly would be better. Also, after you wet it you should add a light creamy moisturizer and then a sealer (like coconut oil).

HeChangedMyName (gosh, I love your name) I just read your post that you are wetting your daugthers hair daily and that's good. If it's just plain water, that is not enough-- it may be hard water. A moisture spritz particularly would be better. Also, after you wet it you should add a light creamy moisturizer and then a sealer (like coconut oil).

@HeChangeMyName, I totally agree with her. I used to wet my natural hair and it would dry my hair out majorly. With myself and my dd, I wash, do a leave in, then put moisturizer in when dry. If I moisturize when wet, it's like I didn't add anything at all.

Back