Need Your Help 2 Help Some Friends......

HERicane10

I'm starting 4-5 college students on a 3 month hair regimen today! I've already given all of them the following basic instructions:
Shampoo hair 1-2 times per week
Lightly moisturize hair 2 times per day ( 1-AM & 1-PM)
Deep condition hair with heat after each washing for 15-30 minutes
Protect hair with a silk/satin scarf when sleeping
AVOID DIRECT HEAT!

I also gave them 2 routine options:
1- uses oil as the pre-treat and then you alternate DC with protein or moisture

2-uses protein conditioner as pre-treat and then DC with moisture

These are the inexpensice ( i did say college students :look:) product examples I gave them:
PROTEIN-Queen Helene Super Cholesterol, Queen Helene with Ginseng, Africa’s Best Hair Mayonnaise, or Jherri Redding Natural Protein Conditioner. MOISTURE- Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Pack, Cream of Nature Nourishing Conditioner, Silk Elements Megasilk Moisture Treatment, or Keracare Humecto)

NOW! that's the history. HERE'S THE QUESTION:

I got #D1 who used Dr. Miracles relaxer and lost 80% of her hair! :cry2:
It has been cut to about 1" all over. Still got a lil relaxer on it; not all natural. BUT all damaged hair is GONE! How should I tailor her regimen? Products?She's very open to daily CW. She's game for whatever GROWS hair back! :grin: (will be wearing a wig until she has more hair)

#N2 relaxes every 4 weeks religiously; BUT is willing to try a 6 week stretch to start off. Hair is fine with slight thinning of edges due to brown gel use and tight ponytails. She ready to go! (will possible wear wig or braids to help with stretch) General hair condition seems ok!

#DJ3 hair is broken, dry, and damaged. She's very open to new regimen. Said she wants me to do her shampoo and conditioning. :grin: She will have stylist trim all damaged hair before starting.

#C4hair is broken, dry, and damaged. She will be getting kinky twist. She's the most skeptical one I think! She may or may not follow regimen.

I will be taking 'before' pics on tomorrow! I'll post them so you can have a visual. We are all going to the BSS together tomorrow too, to make sure that everyone gets the right products!

Here is my input for those that are natural and are going to stay natural or at least nurse their hair back to health before they relax again. I know some of the more qualified will chime in also.

D1 - If she has damage I am not sure I would have her using shampoo everytime she does her hair. I would show her the cowash method and focus on deep conditioning. MOISTURE will be key. I would even show her the baggie method since she will be wearing a wig. Please make sure she uses a wig cap to help her hair line and her hair from breakage and more damage. If you can get something that she can use to spray in her head on a daily basis to help with the moisture retention before she puts on the wig that would be great.

DJ3 - Is she natural, I would recommend the same thing as D1 with the exception of the wig routine. Moisture and deep conditioning will be key.

C4 - Is she going to follow a wash routine or just use a braid shampoo spray while in twists? If she is the one who you think will not follow the routine I would keep her regimen very very simple. Braid/Twist shampoo spray, or I have used see breeze. Get a daily hair moisturizer like Dove in the Blue bottle. If she is getting extension please educate her about the tension of extensions around the edges or have her cornrow or flat twist her front and twist everything else. (See my fotki for an example hair style) She will need to check every two weeks the front and the back for looseness. Show her how to wash the twists with no manipulation when she gets in the shower.

You can add oil to all of their routines by adding it into their shampoo, conditioner and daily misting spray.

Start them off simple. Have you shown them fotki's of the ladies on this site? If they find someone they admire or want to grow their hair like then check with that person to see if you can get a picture and have the ladies put that on their mirror in their rooms or somewhere they can look at it all the time.

Not sure why they are moisturizing at 1 am and pm. If they just spritz their hair when they wake up and when they go to bed it should be okay.

Also these are just suggestions and should be adjusted accordingly. Be aware of that for your ladies also. Let them know it may be a process to learn what works and doesn't so this is the base and then adjustments will be made in order to make the hair respond in a positive manner.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input mscocoaface! That's some good stuff. I have given them this site address to check out and was definitely going to tell them to find a pic of their hair goal (like I did! :grin:)

The moisture just meant 1x in am and 1x in pm, not actually getting up at 1 AM to to do it! :grin::grin: Them girls would be :swearing: everytime they though of my d@mn routine! :lachen:

The big important things for girl #1 is: Cowashing about 2x a week with some $1 cheapie;Suave, Vo5.

Another cheap moisturizer is to buy Suave Humectant in the big bottle or some S-Curl.

Deep condition once or twice a week with some LeKair or the other ones u mentioned.

And for the girl with the kinky twist, make sure they don't pull out her edges. She also needs to keep them moisturized cause that kinky hair can absorb the moisture from your own hair. I don't know if just spray misting will work since her hair is intertwined. She actually has to get to her OWN real hair that is embedded in the braids, not just the topical fake hair.

I'm starting 4-5 college students on a 3 month hair regimen today! I've already given all of them the following basic instructions:
Shampoo hair 1-2 times per week
Lightly moisturize hair 2 times per day ( 1-AM & 1-PM)
Deep condition hair with heat after each washing for 15-30 minutes
Protect hair with a silk/satin scarf when sleeping
AVOID DIRECT HEAT!

I also gave them 2 routine options:
1- uses oil as the pre-treat and then you alternate DC with protein or moisture

2-uses protein conditioner as pre-treat and then DC with moisture

These are the inexpensice ( i did say college students :look:) product examples I gave them:
PROTEIN-Queen Helene Super Cholesterol, Queen Helene with Ginseng, Africa’s Best Hair Mayonnaise, or Jherri Redding Natural Protein Conditioner. MOISTURE- Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Pack, Cream of Nature Nourishing Conditioner, Silk Elements Megasilk Moisture Treatment, or Keracare Humecto)

NOW! that's the history. HERE'S THE QUESTION:

I got #D1 who used Dr. Miracles relaxer and lost 80% of her hair! :cry2:
It has been cut to about 1" all over. Still got a lil relaxer on it; not all natural. BUT all damaged hair is GONE! How should I tailor her regimen? Products?She's very open to daily CW. She's game for whatever GROWS hair back! :grin: (will be wearing a wig until she has more hair)

#N2 relaxes every 4 weeks religiously; BUT is willing to try a 6 week stretch to start off. Hair is fine with slight thinning of edges due to brown gel use and tight ponytails. She ready to go! (will possible wear wig or braids to help with stretch) General hair condition seems ok!

#DJ3 hair is broken, dry, and damaged. She's very open to new regimen. Said she wants me to do her shampoo and conditioning. :grin: She will have stylist trim all damaged hair before starting.

#C4hair is broken, dry, and damaged. She will be getting kinky twist. She's the most skeptical one I think! She may or may not follow regimen.

I will be taking 'before' pics on tomorrow! I'll post them so you can have a visual. We are all going to the BSS together tomorrow too, to make sure that everyone gets the right products!

I am working with my sister to help her grow her hair. She sees the progress my hair has made in less than a month (Vitamins and No GrowthAids) and she is definitely becoming a full believer.

I am no expert but I think I can give some tips that helped me...

#D1: She should definitely consider being natural at least for the next year. Its already short, you know what I mean? I believe her growth will be beautiful because she gets a nice fresh start. Maybe suggest to her giving herself a scalp massage with coconut oil, almond oil, other other light oils at least once a week (2 to 3 times is ideal). This will stimulate blood flow to the scalp. Indian women swear by scalp massages to grow their beautiful, thick, long, healthy hair.

http://www.indianchampissage.com/

http://hairloss.about.com/od/prevent...hampissage.htm

#N2: Hands down she is relaxing too much. Her hair is thin because she relaxes too much. I am sure that you have told her but she needs to relax at least 8 weeks apart. AT LEAST! And with a mild to regular relaxer. On the parts that are thinning, avoid putting relaxer on these parts. Give it a chance to grow. And no more gel. A good moisturizer is what she needs. Try Motions Light Moisturizer or Organics Carrot Oil. Gel has no benefit to the hair if it is on your hair longer than a day. Henna is also a good thickener I hear and so is coconut oil. Like I said above Indian women swear by it. Even the girls here on LHCF are falling for the oil rinses before a DC.

#DJ3: Read sistaslick's articles on building a hair care regimen, protein/moisture balance and hair porosity. Have her read it. VERY informative....
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/288340/hair_regimen_building_for_newbies.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/83046/audrey_sivasothy.html

#C4: She will change her mind once she sees the other's progress. I have heard bad things about kinky twist but those may just have been individual cases. Well in any sort of braids daily moisture is important because keeps the hair from getting dry. Most people believe you just braid the hair and let it alone. Big mistakes. Your hair will be worst than when you started, dry and lots of spilt ends.

Thats all I got! I hope this helps....

Last edited:
I am working with my sister to help her grow her hair. She sees the progress my hair has made in less than a month (Vitamins and No GrowthAids) and she is definitely becoming a full believer.

I am no expert but I think I can give some tips that helped me...

#D1: She should definitely consider being natural at least for the next year. Its already short, you know what I mean? I believe her growth will be beautiful because she gets a nice fresh start. Maybe suggest to her giving herself a scalp massage with coconut oil, almond oil, other other light oils at least once a week (2 to 3 times is ideal). This will stimulate blood flow to the scalp. Indian women swear by scalp massages to grow their beautiful, thick, long, healthy hair.

http://www.indianchampissage.com/

http://hairloss.about.com/od/prevent...hampissage.htm

#N2: Hands down she is relaxing too much. Her hair is thin because she relaxes too much. I am sure that you have told her but she needs to relax at least 8 weeks apart. AT LEAST! And with a mild to regular relaxer. On the parts that are thinning, avoid putting relaxer on these parts. Give it a chance to grow. And no more gel. A good moisturizer is what she needs. Try Motions Light Moisturizer or Organics Carrot Oil. Gel has no benefit to the hair if it is on your hair longer than a day. Henna is also a good thickener I hear and so is coconut oil. Like I said above Indian women swear by it. Even the girls here on LHCF are falling for the oil rinses before a DC.

#DJ3: Read sistaslick's articles on building a hair care regimen, protein/moisture balance and hair porosity. Have her read it. VERY informative....
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/288340/hair_regimen_building_for_newbies.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/83046/audrey_sivasothy.html

#C4: She will change her mind once she sees the other's progress. I have heard bad things about kinky twist but those may just have been individual cases. Well in any sort of braids daily moisture is important because keeps the hair from getting dry. Most people believe you just braid the hair and let it alone. Big mistakes. Your hair will be worst than when you started, dry and lots of spilt ends.

Thats all I got! I hope this helps....

Thanks prettyface! What have you heard about the kinky twist? I was thinking of letting my 9 yr old DD get some this weekend. I know they have different texturex of that hair you use and some is more course than others. But I want to give these girls the best info possible.:yep:

Wish i had more input but i think that in this beginning stage of their regime they should focus on moisture. Like someone stated moisture is the key; daily moisturizing, moisturizing shampoo, dcing w/moisturizing con,etc... We recognize the symptoms of overmoisturized hair, mushy and over elasticity. It would be easier to bounce back from overmoistured hair than protein overload. Just a thought.

Thanks prettyface! What have you heard about the kinky twist? I was thinking of letting my 9 yr old DD get some this weekend. I know they have different texturex of that hair you use and some is more course than others. But I want to give these girls the best info possible.:yep:

I have heard that they are very stressful on the hair. Some stylist use some sort of glue with it as well which can rip your hair out completely. An old co-working of mine got them. When she took them out, her hair came with it. She has very curly hair so she wears a short style well. But she had less than an inch left. Kinky twist or mostly any kind of braiding is not for people with fine or thinning hair. Their are three layers of the hair shaft, the cuticle, cortex and medulla. People with fine hair typically do not have the medulla. That's only two layers! http://www.exploratorium.edu/exploring/hair/hair_2.html

I have heard of hairline's being pulled out and bald spots. Be careful what you put in your daugther's hair, PLEASE!

Last edited:
I have heard that they are very stressful on the hair. Some stylist use some sort of glue with it as well which can rip your hair out completely. An old working of mine got them. When she took them out, her hair came with it. She has very curly hair so she wear a short style well. But she had less than an each left. Kinky twist or mostly any kind of braiding is not for people with fine or thinning hair. Their are three layers of the hair, the cuticle, cortex and medulla. People with fine hair typically do not have the medulla. That's only two layers! http://www.exploratorium.edu/exploring/hair/hair_2.html

I have heard of hairline's being pulled out and bald spots. Be careful what you put in your daugther's hair, PLEASE!

That is the same thing htat happened to me when I got them. My friend told me that the hair would be too abrasive for my own hair and her hair came out, but this was after getting them. And she was right, my hair did come out.:wallbash:

The big important things for girl #1 is: Cowashing about 2x a week with some $1 cheapie;Suave, Vo5.

Another cheap moisturizer is to buy Suave Humectant in the big bottle or some S-Curl.

Deep condition once or twice a week with some LeKair or the other ones u mentioned.

And for the girl with the kinky twist, make sure they don't pull out her edges. She also needs to keep them moisturized cause that kinky hair can absorb the moisture from your own hair. I don't know if just spray misting will work since her hair is intertwined. She actually has to get to her OWN real hair that is embedded in the braids, not just the topical fake hair.

I do the misting all the time. Just be sure she gets the insides of the twists and uses enough product. It does not have to be dripping but the hair needs to be saturated because of the extensions.

Back