need your assistance, mom's hair is relaxed, colored, and dry

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
She goes to the salon every 2 weeks for a rollerset, but her hairstylist does NOT condition her hair. With rollersetting, her hair should be relatively healthy but how can it be when it is double processed and never conditioned.

I started sending her to the salon with Bed Head Dumb Blonde conditioner which is a wonderful product IMO, but my mom needs something better for the level of dryness that her hair is experiencing.

Would you all ladies please recommend a conditioning product that I can give her to take to the salon with her--something that will help her combat dryness of her relaxed and colored hair.

ETA: She could also use a daily moisturizer to use between salon visits.

Supergirl is there another stylist your mother could go to? The fact that this one does not condition concerns me about the level of work she does. Is this someone your Mom has gone to for years?

Who in their right mind does a double process and does NOT condition, that is cosmetology 101.

I am sure the ladies will chime in, but I just wanted to make that suggestion.

The solution is your mom should not just leave it to the stylist to do what is best for her. Arm her with information from here or a set of instructions for the stylist to follow. She is paying therefore she needs to do what your mother requests. To take it a step further, maybe you should go with your mother on the next visit. I realized a long time ago that some stylists needs to be retrained.

Supergirl is there another stylist your mother could go to? The fact that this one does not condition concerns me about the level of work she does. Is this someone your Mom has gone to for years?

Who in their right mind does a double process and does NOT condition, that is cosmetology 101.

I am sure the ladies will chime in, but I just wanted to make that suggestion.

She has been going to this stylist for about 17 years. I went to this stylist for about 4 years myself. She has always used CON shampoo and then KIM. I guess she thinks since it's a conditioning 'poo, that it's enough.

It is hard to get my mom to switch. She is "comfortable" and also worries about hurting her stylist's feelings unlike us LHCF women! :giggle: She also likes the close location. AND, this stylists prices haven't changed much over the past 17 years. Mom, with her retirement income appreciates still being able to get a relaxer for under $50 and a wash and set for under $30.

She did recently try another stylist, but that lady has some questionable practices as well so...

She goes to the salon every 2 weeks for a rollerset, but her hairstylist does NOT condition her hair. With rollersetting, her hair should be relatively healthy but how can it be when it is double processed and never conditioned.

I started sending her to the salon with Bed Head Dumb Blonde conditioner which is a wonderful product IMO, but my mom needs something better for the level of dryness that her hair is experiencing.

Would you all ladies please recommend a conditioning product that I can give her to take to the salon with her--something that will help her combat dryness of her relaxed and colored hair.

ETA: She could also use a daily moisturizer to use between salon visits.

Try using Neutrogena Triple moisture daily conditioner and the deep recovery mask. Also, as a daily moisturizer I am having good luck with Mizani Rose H2O. I also use Mizani H2O intensive nighttime treatment twice a week.

Supergirl,

What is your mother's hair type and does she have semi, demi or permanent color?

Thanks,

MissB

I say get a nice cholesterol DC like Lustrasilk Shea Butter and tell her to alternate with Aphogee 2 min -she needs this-weekly.
She can moisturise daily with Giovanni direct leave in. She needs only a little rubbed in her palm and applied concentrating on her ends.

i have been using the CON stregthening and moisturizing DC lately and have been quite pleased with the results but i am only relaxed. I recently had a protein overload andn this snapped my hair back into shape.

I think your mom should DC at home before she goes to the salon...she could show up with conditioner in her hair and the lady can rinse it out. That way she doesn't have to worry about offending her...though conditioning after would be best.

I can't believe an actual hair dresser doesn't believe in using conditioner. What kind of crazy is that?

My mom used to relax and dye her hair golden blonde. She did that for over 20 years and just recently started transitioning. She used Paul Mitchell and Sebastian products religiously. Penetraitt every 6 weeks and DC with Sebastian 2+1 or Paul Mitchell Super Charged Conditioner weekly. She also used the PM mild relaxer (but I think it's been discontinued). The strength of the relaxer definitely affects the amount of processing and level of dryness, so your mom might want to switch relaxers as well....

I personally have become a fan of "La Plancha" which is a Dominican conditioner. It leaves hair silky smooth. I don't dye my hair though, but if you find it by where you are, it's worth picking up a jar for about $6.

The dumb blond is a great start. That stuff saved me once before :lol:

Keracare makes a color treated shampoo and conditioner she might want to try.
Ion effective care treatment would also work and is affordable.

The dumb blond is a great start. That stuff saved me once before :lol:

Keracare makes a color treated shampoo and conditioner she might want to try.
Ion effective care treatment would also work and is affordable.

Gotta Roll with GF on that one...or (if it hasn't been mentioned)...let her take her own products and make sure she gets under the dryer with her conditioner...

yea but isnt dumb blonde protein? maybe she needs something super moisturizing. like mizani moisture fuze. but i would try a paul mitchell conditioner. i love paul mitchell. i also agree with msa that she should condition before going to the salon.

For my relaxed mother, I like Miss Key's 10 en 1 and Biolage Ultra Hydrating. I use both for myself and for her too. They work well on both natural and relaxed textures.

It's permanent and she's a 4a/b

Thank you everyone--love your suggestions. :)

Wow! I can't believe a stylist would use permanent color without conditioner. You have received many good conditioner recommendations.

So, I will add my two cents for daily moisturizers:

*Keracare Creme Hair Dress - I find that this works well with hair that is totally parched. She should rub it on her hair from root to end and then brush it and wrap or roll her hair.

In the morning, she should follow-up with a shine spray/oil sheen or both to seal. I like the following products:

*Elucence Shine Spray and Design Essentials Reflection Spray
*Design Essentials Diamond Spray, Mizani Shyne or Keracare Oil Sheen with Humidity Block

And she can also use the Mizani Night Time Treatment on her hairline and ends which I believe another poster recommended.

I think you've answered your own question:

First: relaxed hair needs to have a moisture/ protein balance
Second : Coloured....MAKE SURE she gets enough protein

I would suggest you to start off with aphogee 2 min or beat an 2 eggs with olive oil and not conditioning is really NOT an option its a MUST.

If you see after 4 weeks still no change ...try Roux porosity.

I would just tell her o ask for a DC, I am sure the stylist won't mind doing it, it may be $5 extra but it will be worth it over time. If money is tight then have her DC right b4 the service. She can also start moisturizing every other day with NTM Silk Touch or some other moisturizing product and seal with oil.

yea but isnt dumb blonde protein? maybe she needs something super moisturizing. like mizani moisture fuze. but i would try a paul mitchell conditioner. i love paul mitchell. i also agree with msa that she should condition before going to the salon.

Yes but it's moisturizing as well (per the description/instructions) ..It is the reconstructor that thinks its a moisturizing conditioner..

Back