Need support??

blkbeauty

Okay ladies, I need some support here and fast. As some of you know I am on my road to going natural. I have been transitioning for the past 7 months. I’ve been wearing cornrolls for 5 weeks and took them out on Sunday afternoon so that I can wash, deep conditioned my hair before I redo my braids again. These last couple of days I’ve been wearing a bun. I couldn’t believe what 5 weeks have done to my hair. My hair was thicker, softer and seemed to have grown. I couldn’t believe how healthy my hair seemed to be.

Okay here’s the problem…I was so excited about my hair, I made an appointment for Wednesday to get my hair press to see how long it is. This morning, when I look at my hair I was thinking do I really want to put heat to it just to measure the length. Is it necessary?? I haven’t put heat to my hair for some time now. Including blowdrying. Ugh, I don’t know…a part of me feels like I am making a BIG mistake. Don’t mind me, I am just venting here.:o

follow your first mind. if you are having second thoughts just wait. rock the bun or rebraid. i was feeling the same way i wanted to see the length but didnt want the heat on my whole head. i compromised and just straightened the back just to take a pic and use it as my starting point. put it off until you can't wait anymore and you have no doubts.

Blkbeauty, congrats on your journey to going natural! Regarding your dilemma with pressing your hair, I would advise against it because the heat can be very damaging. It varies from person to person, but I've heard accounts of naturals pressing just once and it damaged the hair so it would not curl back up. Before I went natural, I regularly pressed my hair and it permanently ruined the elasticity near the top of my head, which eventually had to get cut off. You've worked hard to get this five weeks of growth so should think twice about putting it at any unnecessary risk! If you want to see how long your hair is, just gently stretch it and measure it against a ruler -- then you can periodically track your growth as well. Anyway, that's my two cents...good luck with what you decide to do!

[ QUOTE ]
blkbeauty said:
Thanks ladies!! You are right. I think I am going to call and cancel. I rather be safe than sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for You......
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I'm glad you didnt rush to press. One good thing about not having my hair pressed regularly when I went natural again was that got used to not seeing how long my hair truly is, eliminating the chances of becoming dependant on hot combs to show length.

Glad you cancelled you appointment girlfriend.

You can always press it later after you see some real growth (say a year or so) to what you've accomplished so far...or you may decide not to put any heat on it after your beautiful new growth comes in.

Back