Need major help, mom of 3 dd's

Sensual~Beauty

Hello everyone,

My name is Tay and I am a 24 y/o mother of 3 girls ages 7, 2, and 6 m/o. I am so clueless when it comes to hair. Yes I know how to do ponytails, and cornrows (not many styles), and flat ironing. What I don't know is how to determine hair type, which products to use.

My hair is mid-back length, curly when wet and dry and excessively frizzy when dry and very tangled. Lately I've been accustomed to untangling and blow-drying and then straightening. That is so painful to me because of the length of my hair and it's not so easy to untangle and my hair is all of the place because of breakage. Also, in the front of my hair my scalp is dry and itchy it almost looks like baby cradle cap. I typically where my hair pulled back into a bun because it's quick and easy.

My 7 y/o has very dry and brittle hair. I can't style her hair unless I blow dry it. If I straighten her hair it only last for 3 days or so. Her edges never lay down it's so annoying.

My 2 y/o has very curly hair and her texture is nice. I want some guidance on how to keep up with it before it gets dry and messy.

My 6 m/o just recovered from severe cradle cap so her hair is growing back in. It completely fell out all the way around the only hair sat on top of her head.

What I am seeking here is some guidance in all 4 cases. I've read through some of the recipes and tips but am afraid and skeptical to try them just yet. Could you guys please point me in the right direction. Below are some pictures of me and my girls.

This is my signature hair style
Photo0006.jpg

This is me with braids
DSCI0084.jpg

This is after flat ironing
Photo0028.jpg

Photo0029.jpg

This is after washing
Photo0129.jpg

This is a pic to show the dryness in the front of my scalp
Photo0014.jpg

This is me and all my girls b4 the baby hair grew back
SANY0623_001.jpg

Well bless your heart! My head is the only head I worry about. I'm queen of the castle still and can't make a girl.:nono: Who am I kidding? Three more heads other than mine???:freakout:Maybe some of these veteran moms of girls can chime in. For the oldest daughter I suggest MUCHO MOISTURE. Her hair will go through transitions of better behavior with time of lots of moisture. Have you thought of spraying it with a moisturizer and combing while wet/damp? It'll be easier on both of you. I use aloe/distilled water/glycerin and my hair behaves. Good luck my sister!

ETA~ You all have lovely hair and the littlest princess. I see her cute little curls too!

Your daughters are beautiful... mini dolls like you... so precious! You're pretty!

ETA: For you and your oldest... I would try detangling while wet. People around here swear by moisturizers like S Curl, Sta-Sof-Fro, and Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1. I'm looking for a new spray in myself. Also, look in Chicoro and Finally Free's albums, they use very simple but thorough regimens for detangling, washing, moisture and maintenance and both have natural 3c/4a hair well past their waistlines.

www.fotki.com/chicoro123

Last edited:
Thank you ladies...I absolutely have to untangle mine while wet. I figured if I trim my ends to help stop the breakage, then I can begin to give myself treatments. I saw that hawaiin silky in a hair magazine but thought it would be a gimmick lol.

LaurenDoll- is that link you posted where I would find the albums?

It sounds like your children's hair has been neglected over the years IMO. The ladies can offer good advice for your babys' hair:)

IMO Means "in my opinion".

And yes, that link is for Chicoro's fotki photo album with her hair regimen.
Finally Free's album is no longer available... she's not posting here anymore (I believe.)

Goodmorning,
There is a discussion board on childrens hair care that you may want to have a looksie at when you first long on to LHCF. Good luck with combing hair girl. I sometimes complain about combing my hair and could not even imagine how I would do three other heads.

Yes, now you ladies feel my pain lol. I opt for braids but my 7 y/o is at that age where she wants versatility but I just don't have the time to style hair daily. My 2 y/o won't sit long enough to get braids. I did the ballerina bun in her hair yesterday it looked so pretty but her baby hair lifted up soon as we walked outside.

What are the letter/number combos? How do I find out what mine is?

I have 2 daughters, ages 10 and 5. One has 4b and the other has 3b/c. I have the same regimen for both.

* Apply conditioner, oil, cholesterol, or all on dry hair, cover with a shower cap, and let them run around the house for a few hours.

* Detangle slowly with a wide tooth comb (add more conditioner if you need to).

* Handle the hair in small sections.

* Braid in 4-6 sections and wash and deep condition the hair seperately in those sections.

* Style the hair while dripping wet. Add leave-in conditioners, oils seperately to each section.

* I usually wash once a week. But if need be, I wash twice a week.

* If I wash twice a week, I simply add conditioner to dry hair for that 2nd wash, and simply rinse (a co-wash), then add the leave-in and oil.

* To style for school, in the mornings I simply add a moisturizer such as S-Curl and then seal with oil. I usually have a style last all week, and rarely have to undo it, until Saturday.

* I also used Lacio Lacio or Salerm21 as their daily moisturizer for a while, and Lacio Lacio proved to be the best, so I will return back to that soon. And again, I seal with oil. Coconut oil is my favorite. Jojoba, sweet almond, and avocado oils are other faves.

* My oldest sleeps with a scarf and on a satin pillow because her edges are like mine, and need more nurturing. When the youngest is a bit older I'll have her doing the same.

Yes, now you ladies feel my pain lol. I opt for braids but my 7 y/o is at that age where she wants versatility but I just don't have the time to style hair daily. My 2 y/o won't sit long enough to get braids. I did the ballerina bun in her hair yesterday it looked so pretty but her baby hair lifted up soon as we walked outside.

What are the letter/number combos? How do I find out what mine is?

Here is what I found:

Type 4
According to Andre Walker, if your hair falls into the Type 4 category, then it is kinky, or very tightly curled. Generally, Type 4 hair is very wiry, very tightly coiled and very fragile. Similar to Type 3 hair, Type 4 hair appears to be coarse, but it is actually quite fine, with lots and lots of these strands densely packed together. Type 4 hair that is healthy won't shine, but it will have sheen. It will be soft to the touch and will pass the strand test with ease. It will feel silkier than it will look shiny.

Type 4 hairs looks tough and durable, but looks can be deceiving. If you have Type 4 hair, you already know that it is the most fragile hair around. There are two subtypes of Type 4 hair: Type 4A, tightly coiled hair that, when stretched, has an S pattern, much like curly hair; and Type 4B, which has a Z pattern, less of a defined curl pattern (instead of curling or coiling, the hair bends in sharp angles like the letter Z). Type 4A tends to have more moisture than Type 4B, which will have a wiry texture
Type 3
When this type of hair is wet, it appears to be pretty straight. As it dries, the hair goes back to its curly state. When curly hair is wet it usually straightens out. As it dries, it absorbs the water and contracts to its curliest state. Humidity tends to make this type of curly hair even curlier, or even frizzier. Type 3 hair has a lot of body and is easily styled in its natural state, or it can be easily straightened with a blow-dryer into a smoother style. Healthy Type 3 hair is shiny, with soft, smooth curls and strong elasticity. The curls are well-defined and springy.
Andre defines two subtypes of curly hair. First, there is type 3A hair which is very loosely curled and usually very shiny with big curls. The shorter the hair is, the straighter it gets. The longer the hair is the more defined the curl. Then, there is type 3B hair which has a medium amount of curl to tight corkscrews. It's not unusual to see a mixture of these types existing on the same head. Curly hair usually consists of a combination of textures, with the crown being the curliest part. Lastly there is a type 3C, is hair type that is not in Andre Walker’s book, but many people suggest that it should be. This type of hair can be described as tight curls in corkscrews. The curls can be either kinky, or very tightly curled, with lots and lots of strands densely packed together.
Type 2
A relatively unusual type, wavy hair tends to be coarse, with a definite S pattern to it. There are three Type 2 subtypes: A- Fine /thin, B -medium-textured, and C - thick and coarse. Type 2A is very easy to handle, blowing out into a straighter style or taking on curlier looks with relative ease. Types 2B and 2C are a little more resistant to styling and have a tendency to frizz.
Type 1
Type 1 is straight hair.

http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2007/11/information-on-.html

Thank you so much I love coconut oil and Olive oil. Seems that I have type 2c hair and my middle baby girl has 4b my oldest doesn't seem to be listed unless I am wrong.

WOW! I definitely should have kept up on this site. It's been about 2 years and all the tips and advice would have done wonders for my girls. But I'm back now and I'm making a list of things to begin purchasing and using. Thank you to everyone for your advice.

Back