need help with my edges after pregnancy

DMarie

Hi ladies. As the title of this thread states, I've recently given birth to my first child after 4 years trying to conceive and my edges are gone. I wasn't having a problem with them during the pregnancy but it seems as though when she hit 3 months my hair started shedding like crazy and the perimeter of the front of my hair is gone. It looks like I have mad baby edges. I am going to need a relaxer soon and don't know what to do?? The shedding has stopped I think. Now I am wondering what to do about relaxing.

Please give suggestions.

Thanks
DMarie

Hi DMarie,

First congrats on the birth of your child.

If your hair is breaking its probably not a good idea to relax as you hair should be in the best condition possible prior to relaxing. If you have a mad amount of regrowth then maybe just NOT relax the hair line.

I know that during a pregnancy you tend to retain alot more hair/less shedding which is why hair seems so get so thick during this time. Once baby is born the hair sheds alot then slows back down to its normal rate.

You have long hair so i'm sure you know what is best.

Maybe you are going through a bit of stress and not acknowledging it....i mean a new baby is a blessing and a joy but also hard work. Lack of sleep and the new pressures of being a mum etc can play havoc with the body.

Be sure to do pre-poo's and apply it like a relaxer (maybe you have noticed my recent thread) and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. This has transformed my bad egdes. Really concentrate on conditioning those edges and don't use a brush to lay them flat. Rollerset, do not blow dry. Perhaps wear a pretty satin scarf over your edges if you think they look that bad...that way they are also protected.

Hope i have helped.

Congrats on the baby!!! I have a almost 3 month old as well, and one thing I have done is I am still taking my prenatals, and will do so until she is 1 yrs old.. I was given this advice by my stylist and a few ladies on the boards... baby your ends pls dont relax them yet... Drink lots of water and try doing scalp massages in those areas to get the blood flowing.. I wish you all the best, take care

thanks ladies for the advice. i've decided to hold off on the relaxer. the last one turned out okay at 1 month postpartum but the one before that at the salon was really under processed. i guess due to my hormones as i got it while pregnant. the shedding has stopped after i did a deep cond with heat. my ends are dry but that's cause i stopped wearing my bonnet at night cause i was so hot. those darn hormones are a motha. now i am back to healthy hair care and still continuing to take my multivitamin.

thanks for the congrats on the baby. it really is a joy being a mom. she is so sweet.

DMarie

Back