Need Help With All This Hair -- Pics

leona2025

So I know we have a children's board, but it's kind dead seems like and I figured you all might enjoy the pics.

This is my niece's hair. She is passed WL. She is 6. The trouble with her hair is it is dry and tangled and their is no definition to her curls.

My sister would like her to be able to wear it out and curly. It mats very easy. Just like my hair, but we really don't know how to care for it because it is so unlike our hair. Her shrinkage is crazy.

She wears braids daily. Any suggestions for products for curl definition and moisture retention and detangling? She has never had her hair straighten. She is SOOOOO tender headed.

Also we discovered a bald spot about the size of a dime in her head that wasn't there before. This spot is smooth like hair was never there! Because she has so much hair me and my sister tried to tackle it together. Wooo too much for me. She makes me not want to go natural... ever lol

44081fca-60c3-4469-a48b-08cdc53742da_zps5ctlhu82.jpg
20160515_163635_resized_zpsou47xcyv.jpg
20160515_163703_resized_zpsrtm1ksnb.jpg
20160515_172810_resized_zpsprbuszpd.jpg

Attachments

• 20160515_163740_resized.jpg
    20160515_163740_resized.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 61
Braided and twisted styles are probably going to work better than curly out styles at this stage of her life, especially if your sister does not want to wash her hair a few times a week. Children are playing and active and out styles may lead to tangles.

Washing, conditioning, and braiding for a week with nightly spritz of moisturizer would be a good regimen. Make sure she's sleeping on a satin pillowcase. Then maybe she can unravel the braids/twists for an out style for a day before re-washing.

Aww her hair is beautiful :2inlove::2inlove:

Her dry hair looks like mine right before I'm due for a wash. I don't know if it will help, but I wash in sections and twist using Cantu leave-in and a denman brush. I then seal the entire twist with a little bit of this grease made by Clear. It's in a little gold bottle with a gold squeeze top. I've noticed that this has helped keep my hair softer and more moisturized after I take the twist out.

When I was young my mom would only use grease and water and put my hair in a ponytail :look: she had no idea how to do my hair and I was tender-headed. Sometimes I wouldn't let anyone comb it for weeks. :drunk:

Lol Yall she sleep in a bonnet like me. lol She's been wearing bonnets forever because I wear them. This is her hair after a fresh wash. It was still very damp. The curly our style would be just for picture day. We are most concerned with dryness and tangles. As you can see her hair looks hella dry. My hair is this way as well, but I was told it was due to my hair color being a dusty brown which is part of the reason I start dying it.

I can see a pattern, so I don't think it would take much to make her curls pop.

"Any suggestions for products for curl definition and moisture retention and detangling?"

Detangling: work in sections; pre-poo w/a cheap moisturizing conditioner w/lots of slip helps a ton. I use the discontinued Tresemme Naturals conditioners. I sometimes use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle.

Definition/moisture retention: work in sections; find a moisturizing deep conditioner. I use Tresemme Botanique Hydrating Mask. Then I use Kinky Curly Knot Today and seal w/Kinky Curly Curling Custard. My curl pattern really defines w/these but what has given my hair a real boost has been adding vegetable glycerin to the mask and Knot Today. My hair now gets thru the week w/o drying out and has looser but lots of definition. Clay rinses also help, but that might be too messy for her.

In the last pic, her hair looks like a (sorry) dry version of MahoganyCurls hair type (w/o product). Maybe look at some of her youtube videos for product advice.

In the last pic, her hair looks like a (sorry) dry version of MahoganyCurls hair type (w/o product). Maybe look at some of her youtube videos for product advice.

Thanks! Yes it is dry dry dry. I am unsure if we can use the same products on children's hair as we can with adults? Im going to watch some of her videos. We've been trying to match her texture to kids on the web to try to use some of the products those kids are using. We are both relaxed. While I am texlaxed and do it every 5 or 6 months, my ng will mat just like hers.

Lol Yall she sleep in a bonnet like me. lol She's been wearing bonnets forever because I wear them. This is her hair after a fresh wash. It was still very damp. The curly our style would be just for picture day. We are most concerned with dryness and tangles. As you can see her hair looks hella dry. My hair is this way as well, but I was told it was due to my hair color being a dusty brown which is part of the reason I start dying it.
Her hair looks dry because it's a lighter brown color. It's always going to look like that. Darker hair naturally reflects more light and looks "shiny". I would never let her wear all that hair out all day, especially at school. It will be a tangled puff by the time she gets home.

Thanks! Yes it is dry dry dry. I am unsure if we can use the same products on children's hair as we can with adults? Im going to watch some of her videos. We've been trying to match her texture to kids on the web to try to use some of the products those kids are using. We are both relaxed. While I am texlaxed and do it every 5 or 6 months, my ng will mat just like hers.
Watch the ingredients. I would only use botanical (all natural) products on a child's hair and wouldn't use anything I wouldn't personally use.

I don't have children nor do children's hair. This is just what I would do.

Her hair looks just like mine!!!!

Go HEAVY on the leave in! :yep: and then whatever styler you use on top...I would suggest mixed chicks but again...GO HEAVY. And add a little oil on the ends and length.

Put castor oil on her bald spot throughout the week.

I usually pineapple mine at nite or wear it in a top knot...she should probably sleep in two braids. However you do it...contain it.

At this length I don't wear my hair out every single day so I can just imagine as a child...she'd be more active than me. I limit it to 2-3 times a week. Otherwise I'm in a ponytail or bun.

Any product she uses...she's gonna need ungodly amounts of it lol

Attachments

• IMG_20160319_183546.jpg
    IMG_20160319_183546.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20160306_160922.jpg
    20160306_160922.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 65
Her hair looks just like mine!!!!

Go HEAVY on the leave in! :yep: and then whatever styler you use on top...I would suggest mixed chicks but again...GO HEAVY. And add a little oil on the ends and length.

Put castor oil on her bald spot throughout the week.

I usually pineapple mine at nite or wear it in a top knot...she should probably sleep in two braids. However you do it...contain it.

At this length I don't wear my hair out every single day so I can just imagine as a child...she'd be more active than me. I limit it to 2-3 times a week. Otherwise I'm in a ponytail or bun.

Any product she uses...she's gonna need ungodly amounts of it lol

It does look just like yours! My niece loves bunbuns lol. She asks for them every day, so we do buns, ponies, and braids. I told my sister at 6 she is not really needing to wear her hair out, but my sister is really interested and well if she gonna take care of all that I guess lol. I told her to do braidout ponies. Even tho my hair is relaxed it has to be contained at night for it to behave. If not woo its a problem. My sister hair is pretty fine and easy to manage. She has never had tangly hair, so she doesn't know or understand our struggle lol.

My mom didn't let me wear my hair out until I was 13 lol.

Does she have a mixture of coarse and fine strands?? I would suggest finger combing only in sections or a tangle teezer. I'm tender headed too lol!

I swear it's like I'm staring at my own head of hair lol!:lol:

Deep condition weekly :yep:

It does look just like yours! My niece loves bunbuns lol. She asks for them every day, so we do buns, ponies, and braids. I told my sister at 6 she is not really needing to wear her hair out, but my sister is really interested and well if she gonna take care of all that I guess lol. I told her to do braidout ponies. Even tho my hair is relaxed it has to be contained at night for it to behave. If not woo its a problem. My sister hair is pretty fine and easy to manage. She has never had tangly hair, so she doesn't know or understand our struggle lol.

My mom didn't let me wear my hair out until I was 13 lol.

LOL lawd!! Yes once she gets a regimen down pat...STICK WITH THE REGIMEN! Lol!!

Now it's second nature to me.

Idk if you guys would...but I use gel in my hair is I want multiple day curls...I would suggest Kinky Curly for her. Go heavy on it...rake gobs of it in and smooth it down...and then make sure not to touch it as it dries bc it will frizz up like a beast!! :nono:

After its about 85% dry, scrunch some oil on the ends...pineapple at nite.

In the morning, shake it down, spray it with water and gently fluff it out.. I can go about 3 days on this regimen.

I always have to make sure to define my curls bc for some reason it cuts down on massive tangles.

She has curls so she should be able to get a wash and go. I would suggest only doing it for special occassions though because of the tangles hair that length and thickness will get. Maybe the tightly curly method would work on her hair. Since you say it's dry it would moisturize her hair and bring out definition.

I've found out when it comes to wash and goes technique is everything. I section to ensure full coverage. I use 1-2 in sections going from ear to ear. Apply globs of leave in and conditioner. Finger comb it through. Then make another section parting from ear to ear and do the same steps.

Tresemme conditioners have been the best conditioners for this method for me at least.

Here is a vid of a mother using this method on her daughter.

She is my daughter's hair twin, but with bigger curls. I have to do loc method with dd and by the end of the day her hair is still dry and dull looking. I think she has low porosity hair.

Wearing braids or twists keep her from having crazy shrinkage, matting and knots. I also wash her hair in sections (braids or twists). Mane and tail, hot 6 oil and aloe vera juice seems to work as a great moisturizer.

Thanks everyone. I am trying to find a video that shows Mahogany Curl's hair product free. She seems to have much more curl than my niece. @nothidden
Before she applies the product (in the beginning of the video) her hair is not the same. She has much more curl because of the product.

Have you looked at any of the hair styles and hair care tips from Beads, Braids, and Beyond (blog)? Your niece's hair texture and her DD's look similar.

Braided and twisted styles are probably going to work better than curly out styles at this stage of her life, especially if your sister does not want to wash her hair a few times a week. Children are playing and active and out styles may lead to tangles.

Washing, conditioning, and braiding for a week with nightly spritz of moisturizer would be a good regimen. Make sure she's sleeping on a satin pillowcase. Then maybe she can unravel the braids/twists for an out style for a day before re-washing.
Looks similar to my dd's hair. Out and curly styles are definitely not a regular thing and when we do, I have to make sure I braid or twist it up at night or else there will be hell to pay in the morning.

I'd like to add that it would be prudent to keep twists medium to large with her that length. You'll have to redo them more often, but there is a lot less time and drama during detangling sessions. I had to learn this the hard way!

I've been applying Shea Moisture Biolipid Complex w/ Agave Nectar and Black Seed Oil to damp strands. Every other day I try to follow up by spray Infusium 23 that I mixed with some rosemary oil.

Thanks everyone. This advice is just what we needed. I will be looking at the blogs and videos. Sis is only interested in doing curly hair for pictures and every once in a while, but I believe we need to learn how to take care of her hair now so that when she is older and wants to wear it out we will know how to teach her to take care of it. I will get some pics of how she usually wears it.

I had to show Sis how to detangle because she started out combing from root to end. On her on her this is possible but for me and Phat that is not going to work. Please keep the tips coming!

Perhaps this lady tips and products will help you. Good luck!

So I know we have a children's board, but it's kind dead seems like and I figured you all might enjoy the pics.

This is my niece's hair. She is passed WL. She is 6. The trouble with her hair is it is dry and tangled and their is no definition to her curls.

My sister would like her to be able to wear it out and curly. It mats very easy. Just like my hair, but we really don't know how to care for it because it is so unlike our hair. Her shrinkage is crazy.

She wears braids daily. Any suggestions for products for curl definition and moisture retention and detangling? She has never had her hair straighten. She is SOOOOO tender headed.

Also we discovered a bald spot about the size of a dime in her head that wasn't there before. This spot is smooth like hair was never there! Because she has so much hair me and my sister tried to tackle it together. Wooo too much for me. She makes me not want to go natural... ever lol

44081fca-60c3-4469-a48b-08cdc53742da_zps5ctlhu82.jpg
20160515_163635_resized_zpsou47xcyv.jpg
20160515_163703_resized_zpsrtm1ksnb.jpg
20160515_172810_resized_zpsprbuszpd.jpg

Back