Need Help Trimming Natural Hair w/o Heat

Ms Lala

Hey Ladies,

I don't start many threads but I really need some help. I am on a personal
no heat challenge and want to trim my hair. Usually I blow it out first. I tried trimming it the other day and had a hard time because the ends kept curling up and it was hard for me to tell how much I was cutting. Any suggestions?

if you put your hair in very small twists and then trim it, that might work. but they must be tiny in order for you to really see the length and maintain a good shape. at least, IMO.

if you put your hair in very small twists and then trim it, that might work. but they must be tiny in order for you to really see the length and maintain a good shape. at least, IMO.

That's what I was going to suggest. I dust my hair frequently and when I was in twists (I used to do many small ones), I'd just pull one so that I'm holding the end I'm going to snip. I'd either look in the mirror or if I can see it, confirm what I'm feeling is what I think it is and then snip with the "sharpest scissors on earth" (Thanks Brenda!). Really any hair scissors that aren't used for anything else are good.

Put all the twists up using a friendly elastic and then just pull out one at a time so you can be sure you dust all. If you do this every 8 weeks, you probably will only need to dust this much __ (1/4 inch). Even a 1/2 inch isn't that much ____ but I don't want anyone clutching pearls or hyperventilating so let's stick to 1/4 inch. :lol:

I have to get mentally prepared to do this. It takes me about 8 hours to twist my hair in small twists. Maybe I'll do it 4 my upcoming bday. Thanks for the tip!

That's what I was going to suggest. If you go on youtube Prettydimples has a tutorial on it, I'll try and post it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yVWxygBsvc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKUT7zsNOg

HTH

Thanks for posting the tutorial, I"m going to check this out.

That's what I was going to suggest. I dust my hair frequently and when I was in twists (I used to do many small ones), I'd just pull one so that I'm holding the end I'm going to snip. I'd either look in the mirror or if I can see it, confirm what I'm feeling is what I think it is and then snip with the "sharpest scissors on earth" (Thanks Brenda!). Really any hair scissors that aren't used for anything else are good.

Put all the twists up using a friendly elastic and then just pull out one at a time so you can be sure you dust all. If you do this every 8 weeks, you probably will only need to dust this much __ (1/4 inch). Even a 1/2 inch isn't that much ____ but I don't want anyone clutching pearls or hyperventilating so let's stick to 1/4 inch. :lol:

LOL,:lachen: you know it's true around here. Some months I only get 1/4 inch of growth so it can be significant.

Back