Need help from reformed PJs

GettingKinky

I need help y'all. I've turned into a PJ without realizing it!

When I first started my HHJ, I was always amazed at how many products people used. I only had 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, frizz serum and my trusty curling iron (well 2). I couldn't understand how people could use so many products or know what to use when. I've prided myself on keeping my reggie simple, but I just realized it's not. I'm a PJ with a complicated 5 step reggie.

I have 5 conditioners!! That's ridiculous!! Granted I have one I only use the week before my touch up, but still. I need to simplify.

Conditioner
---Kenra MC I love the smell and how it moisturizes. I cant drop this one.

---Aphogee 2 min. My hair comes out great and I love the smell, I don't think I can drop this one.

--- AOGBP I bought this thinking it would be my one and only conditioner and I could drop my other 2 but I don't like it that much. After I finish this bottle I think I'll drop it.

---AOHSR I use this for my weekly dry DC I have 6 unopened bottles in my stash.:blush:

---Mizani renew strength fortifying conditioner. I just use this before my touch up. It's been discontinued but I have 2 unopened bottles in my stash. :grin:

I kind of want to try the AOWC as well. I'm out of control!

Leave in
---DB daily leave in I don't use this much anymore but I love it when I wear my hair straight

---DB transitioning cream this works great as the C in my LOC and on my new growth

--- L'Oreal EverSleek humidity defying leave-in creme. I think this may work to keep the frizz away from my braidouts and keep me from returning to cones.

Plus lots of old bottles of stuff I've tried and don't like.

Oils
---EVOO my staple oil

---EVCO everyone raved about it so I got it. I never use it because I don't like having to melt it

---grapeseed I just got this to have ceramides in my reggie. I think this can replace the EVOO, but I have to try it first

Serums- I hardly ever use these
--- Fantasia frizz buster, left over from my pre HHJ days

---L'Oreal EverSleek frizz buster- I've never used it but it's cone free so I have to keep it right?

---Chi silk infusion (well the Sally's knock off) everyone raved about it so I got it. I've only used it once to protect my hair on touch-up day. But I'm thinking of getting the real thing because it doesn't have alcohol. What's wrong with me, I don't ever use heat, why do I need another serum???:seesaw:

I really want to keep it simple, but I think I've have to come to grips with the fact that I'm a PJ :nono:

Don't even get me started on my face and body products. My bathroom is a disaster!:drowning:

I think you are doing alright. As long as each product serves a different purpose you are doing good in my book.

I wouldn't call you a product junkie. You have under 20 items and they are all for different uses.

I recently gave away products to my cousin: Ojon, Wen, Shea Moisture, Keracare, Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Jane Carter, Karen Body Beautiful, Sabino Moisture Block, Bee Mine, Taliah Waajid, Organicals Deep Conditioning Creme (I have some small jars left) and a ton of other brands. And I still have a full cabinet of hair stuff and recently bought WEN 613.

Last edited:
Ok maybe I'm not a big time junkie, but I still feel like I have too much stuff. My shower is full of bottles and under my sink is crazy.

It's exciting at first, trying new products and all, but then I started really doing the numbers in terms of how much money I was actually spending. That was enough for me to slow my roll.

lol.. I don't think you are a PJ compared to the LHCF definition of a PJ... but I advise you keep the ones you like, and throw away the others... no need for sentimental attachments.

Enjoy it. When it stops being fun, you will stop being a PJ and move on to obsessing about something else :lol:.

I dont think you're a PJ at all. Now me on the other hand...uhm...:look:

Anyway, maybe if you got rid of the old bottles from your preHJ days you might feel better. Also, you may want to take another look at your skin and body products. Since Ive started focusing on natural hair products and DIY, I started looking closely at the ingredients for my skin and body stuff and I didn't like what I found. Maybe you could start there.

^^^

My HHJ is the reason I have so many skin and body products. I went out and got all natural face washes, and moisturizers, and sunscreen, etc.

I think if you feel like a PJ, you're a PJ. By the time you qualify as one to someone else, you might be way down that rabbit hole.
I know for myself, I went from using 3 (3 TOTAL) products to like 75. Granted, I mix a lot of things and most of my products are ingredients, but even so, I'm in recovery. Lol
Something that worked for me was mixing the same types of products together if I liked both and restricting multiple type purchases until I'm down to the last ounces.

HTH! :)

via LHCF App

I think if you feel like a PJ, you're a PJ. By the time you qualify as one to someone else, you might be way down that rabbit hole.
I know for myself, I went from using 3 (3 TOTAL) products to like 75. Granted, I mix a lot of things and most of my products are ingredients, but even so, I'm in recovery. Lol
Something that worked for me was mixing the same types of products together if I liked both and restricting multiple type purchases until I'm down to the last ounces.

HTH! :)

via LHCF App

I agree with this and mshoneyfly's suggestion. If you want a support group, the Use Up Your Stash challenge has helped me.

So I organized all my products, got rid of the stuff I don't use and stocked up on my staples (and bought one new thing). I think I'll be ok as long as I don't read about any new miracle products. I'm going to try and stick to my reggie and not buy anything new.

APHOGEE 2 min is a mild protein treatment so I wouldn't put it undrr conditioner

Transitioning cream is more of a moisturizer while DB leaving in works great as a rollerset leave-in.

So basically you have 1 leave-in 1 moisturizer.

Only thing that made me raise brow is the 6 aohsr lol and even then you're not a product junkie

In fact you're missing castor oil and a stronger protein treatment :lol:

APHOGEE 2 min is a mild protein treatment so I wouldn't put it undrr conditioner

Transitioning cream is more of a moisturizer while DB leaving in works great as a rollerset leave-in.

So basically you have 1 leave-in 1 moisturizer.

Only thing that made me raise brow is the 6 aohsr lol and even then you're not a product junkie

In fact you're missing castor oil and a stronger protein treatment :lol:

I use that Aphogee every other week as my rinse out conditioner, but I guess if I count it as a protein treatment it will make me feel better.

I do have a stronger protein- Mizani renew strength fortifying masque. It's been discontinued but I have two unopened bottles. But I don't have the kind that you let harden on your hair.

I had to get all the AOHSR, it was on sale and one bottle only last 4-5 uses. :)

I've been thinking about getting castor oil, especially since I have a small bald spot on my hairline. I may break down and get some.

FelaShrine- you are not helping you're just encouraging me to buy more. :spank: ;-)

Back