Need help combating frizz from my rollerset!

Wishin4BSL

Well they discontinued my Paul Mitchell Super Skinny medium hold style formula that I used for my perfect rollerset (the new one in the mousse form is supposed to be just like it but it's not!). Now with my last two rollersets, I have had serious frizz issues! I know that it's not my rollersetting technique because the rollers were very tight. It's my missing product! I'm not a fan of foaming wrap lotion because my hair still frizzes afterward. I've only been using Design Theraputics leave in. It's great for softness and moisture, but makes frizz MUCH worse! Any suggestions for something to use to combat my frizzy rollersets? Something with a light to medium hold? TIA!!!:grin:

I use Fantasia serum and make sure my hair is super wet. I never have frizz problems. You can try that.

I used to use elasta QP design foam.

Light hold, no alcohol and it's not at all drying. Plus it's cheap, only about 5 bucks.

Botanical Extracts , Rosemary , Nettle , Lemon Balm , Chamomile , Horse Chestnut , Coltsfoot Leaf , Horsetail in Purified Water , Vinylpyrritidone , Dimethylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer , Panthenol Pro-Vitamin B5 , Benzophenone-4 , Methylparaben , Octoxynol-13 , Citric Acid , Fragrance

I always used it with a leave in or serum though.

keracare oil sheen with humidity block

once your roll your hair spray this all over before getting under the dryer
also at night time spray it again before pin curling, wrapping, or whatever you do at night

Are you making sure that your hair is still relatively wet when you roller set? The ey for me is not towel drying my hair. I only wringe it out with me hands. I then apply a leave in (my fav in Giovanni Direct.It has a runny yet creamy texture. It's not a pure liquid basically) and then start roller setting. Basically, you hair should automatically stick to the roller (which it does when it is wet enough) That is key to getting a smooth (and less frizzy roller set). What other products are you adding to your hair before you set it? Another thing I used to do when my hair would get frizzy or get fly aways is taking a little oil (Vatika is my fav latle; however pure Coconut oil rocks as well; but you can use whatever oil you have around) and running it through my hair. Only a litle bit of oil will do b/c if you're like, me, you don't want to weigh you hair down after you spent all that time trying to make it nice and bouncy! I then wrap it real tight for a while with a scarf (holding it with pins just won't cut it if you want to get rid of frizz) . If you leave it on for a while (I would say a minimum of 15 min at least) your hair should come out nice and sleek- no frizzies!

I use Fantasia serum and make sure my hair is super wet. I never have frizz problems. You can try that.

That actually sounds good. Fantasia has a similar consistency to the old Paul Mitchell formula. I think I may try that.

Any other suggestions?

I know a lot of people like them--but I HATE Paul Mitchell products with a FREAKIN' PASSION!!!!

I find that they leave my hair dry and frizzy. I went back to using Lotta Body diluted 5 to 1 (water to product) and my hair is thanking me for it!

Are you making sure that your hair is still relatively wet when you roller set? The ey for me is not towel drying my hair. I only wringe it out with me hands. I then apply a leave in (my fav in Giovanni Direct.It has a runny yet creamy texture. It's not a pure liquid basically) and then start roller setting. Basically, you hair should automatically stick to the roller (which it does when it is wet enough) That is key to getting a smooth (and less frizzy roller set). What other products are you adding to your hair before you set it? Another thing I used to do when my hair would get frizzy or get fly aways is taking a little oil (Vatika is my fav latle; however pure Coconut oil rocks as well; but you can use whatever oil you have around) and running it through my hair. Only a litle bit of oil will do b/c if you're like, me, you don't want to weigh you hair down after you spent all that time trying to make it nice and bouncy! I then wrap it real tight for a while with a scarf (holding it with pins just won't cut it if you want to get rid of frizz) . If you leave it on for a while (I would say a minimum of 15 min at least) your hair should come out nice and sleek- no frizzies!

I do keep a spray bottle with water and a drop of leave-in to keep it wet. It takes me about 30 minutes to set it. I will try scarf wrapping though. I usually just wrap it with bobby pins and sit under the dryer for 10 minutes. I will just try my coconut oil and tie it down right now. Hopefully that will help!

While my hair is still damp, I add a small amount of Giovanni Direct Leave-in and seal with Proclaim serum. When rollersetting, I make sure my hair is soaking wet and remove rollers only when completely dry. Most times I airdry my rollersets overnight, and I never have frizz problems.

I'm sitting under the dryer now as it goes! I always make sure my hair is completely saturated when setting. I use some diluted Lacio Lacio then combine in a bowl, some castor/organic sapote oil and serum, mix it all together and and add the mixture to my ends to seal. My rollersets have been coming out very silky!

I agree that your hair should be almost soaking wet when you set and it should be completely dry. Maybe try adding another 15-30 minutes to your time - maybe you gained some length or thickness without knowing it. :grin: (as if any of us wouldn't notice THAT) Tension is key too but I think you had that part covered.

I agree that your hair should be almost soaking wet when you set and it should be completely dry. Maybe try adding another 15-30 minutes to your time - maybe you gained some length or thickness without knowing it. :grin: (as if any of us wouldn't notice THAT) Tension is key too but I think you had that part covered.

My hair has gotten much thicker. Maybe more time would help too.

putting serum on wet hair will help...also dillute a creamy-type of product that has silicone, such as ntm leave in...or lacio lacio. put it in a spray bottle with lots of water and spray on each section before rolling. or if ur hair can take all the cones use the product by itself. Aveda's hang straight lotion also works

I use the Silk Elements Serum from Sallys and then lightly coat my hair with a LITTLE bit of Lottabody texturizing and then a LITTLE bit of coconut oil. My last two sets came out frizz-free with the coconut oil - just a little tho.

Oh and I also use Cantu Shea Butter Leave In - it's the bomb!

Back