Need Help Building A Regimen- Natural Fine 4a High Density High Porosity

bimbabe

Hi!

I've been a member on this board for 15 years next year but I hardly come in the hair forum. This board helped me grow my then relaxed hair to waist length in a short space of time but then I maintained at midback length and bra strap length for a fuller look. I've been natural for 2 years (opting for a Big Chop) but I have been hiding in box braids and rope twists. To keep my edges I have decided to give my hair some TLC outside of braid extensions and to learn more about my hair. I feel like a newbie as my natural hair is sooo different from when my hair was relaxed/texlaxed.

My texture seems to be mainly 4A but some strands look like 3C and some look like 4C. Most of my coils are tight tight tight ("S" to "O" shaped pen spring coils). The picture in my avatar is with wet hair. Most days my shrinkage looks like Solange in the attached pic or even shorter . My hair is super fine, very dense and has high porosity. It is fairly elastic. I have been able to retain most of my ends but the tangles and knots can be a problem. My hair "locs" if I don't comb/finger comb often.

Right now I know that I have to moisturize twice a day on most days as the AC at work is very drying.

My hair likes glycerine. I really can't tell if it likes oils. Sometimes I use coconut oil but it may just sit on my hair. Other times my hair drinks it up.

Anyone with similar hair can you give me regimen ideas and product recommendations please? I am especially looking for conditioners, deep conditioners, super detangling leave-ins, curl definers that do not create too much shrinkage and daily moisturizers that should suit my type of hair based on your experiences or knowledge.

I am looking for advice on how to tame frizz and reduce shrinkage while still having my defined coils.

Appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• 728B2A18-55D5-45EB-AD48-68FED23E4372-1001-000001125C775B4D.jpeg
    728B2A18-55D5-45EB-AD48-68FED23E4372-1001-000001125C775B4D.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 7399DF7C-EB6B-46AA-BFF1-0C939DEEBD86-1001-0000011B5F8A9777.jpeg
    7399DF7C-EB6B-46AA-BFF1-0C939DEEBD86-1001-0000011B5F8A9777.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 38
No recommendations, but subbing b/c this is my 11 year old's hair to a tee. She has a ton of very fine, cottony, highly porous 4a/4b hair that tangles and knots something serious unless I keep it stretched. Her hair is beautiful, but man is it a lot of work!

Hi!

I've been a member on this board for 15 years next year but I hardly come in the hair forum. This board helped me grow my then relaxed hair to waist length in a short space of time but then I maintained at midback length and bra strap length for a fuller look. I've been natural for 2 years (opting for a Big Chop) but I have been hiding in box braids and rope twists. To keep my edges I have decided to give my hair some TLC outside of braid extensions and to learn more about my hair. I feel like a newbie as my natural hair is sooo different from when my hair was relaxed/texlaxed.

My texture seems to be mainly 4A but some strands look like 3C and some look like 4C. Most of my coils are tight tight tight ("S" to "O" shaped pen spring coils). The picture in my avatar is with wet hair. Most days my shrinkage looks like Solange in the attached pic or even shorter . My hair is super fine, very dense and has high porosity. It is fairly elastic. I have been able to retain most of my ends but the tangles and knots can be a problem. My hair "locs" if I don't comb/finger comb often.

Right now I know that I have to moisturize twice a day on most days as the AC at work is very drying.

My hair likes glycerine. I really can't tell if it likes oils. Sometimes I use coconut oil but it may just sit on my hair. Other times my hair drinks it up.

Anyone with similar hair can you give me regimen ideas and product recommendations please? I am especially looking for conditioners, deep conditioners, super detangling leave-ins, curl definers that do not create too much shrinkage and daily moisturizers that should suit my type of hair based on your experiences or knowledge.

I am looking for advice on how to tame frizz and reduce shrinkage while still having my defined coils.

Appreciate any advice.

Wow! Congratulations on the length!

You and I have SUPER similar hair, except when my hair shrinks fully it does not look like Solange's hair in that picture. You wrote: "My texture seems to be mainly 4A but some strands look like 3C and some look like 4C. Most of my coils are tight tight tight ("S" to "O" shaped pen spring coils)." :yep: Yes, me, too.

My hair is hipo, fine, mainly 4a, and dense.

Below is a picture of my hair a year ago with just gel, aloud to shrink fully. There are some 3c-like areas on the front, some s-waves, and lots of o-shaped coils that are pen spring -sized coils. I kept cutting the 3-ish hair at first, trying to get rid of it, thinking it was heat damage or something. Turns out it wasn't. LOL! I was cutting it for no reason, and it just kept coming back! :lol:

In my next post in this thread, I can share the products that work for me, but the caveat is that I almost always only use natural products, and my hair responds to all products as hair trained/treated as such. This means that unless your hair also likes natural ingredients or is similarly "trained," your hair may not respond similarly at all to the products my hair likes.

Also, please take any shared "advice" of mine with a grain of salt: I don't have super long hair or anything, so maybe what I'm doing isn't . . . awesome? :look: :lol:

WP_20161205_015 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Regimen Ideas

SHORT VERSION:

I wash and detangle once a week according to this alternating schedule:
  1. Saturday 1:
    1. Wash hair . . .
    2. Then do a deep conditioning treatment designed to return/maintain moisture-protein balance . . .
    3. Apply aloe Vera juice to soaking wet hair . . .
    4. Moisturize, seal, and style
  2. Saturday 2:
    1. Wash hair . . .
    2. Then do a stronger-than-not protein treatment followed by a protein-free deep conditioner . . .
    3. Apply aloe Vera juice to soaking wet hair . . .
    4. Moisturize, seal, and style
  3. Saturday 3: Wash hair . . . balancing DC . . . AVJ . . . moisturize, seal, and style
  4. Saturday 4: Chelate hair . . . protein treatment . . . protein-free DC . . . AVJ . . . moisturize, seal, and style
  5. Saturday 5: Wash hair . . . balancing DC . . . AVJ . . . moisturize, seal, and style
DETAILED VERSION:

Here is a very detailed explanation/schedule of what I'm doing for June, July, and August, including product links, wash day schedule and details, etc.: https://myhairgrowthstudyexperience.wordpress.com/months-schedule-of-weekly-wash-days/

I have watched a ton of YouTube videos on high porosity hair regimens. Below is what/whom I've settled upon.
  1. The GreenBeauty Channel has an AWESOME video that provides baseline ideas on how to care for high porosity hair (and awesome, simple illustrations and tables and a calendar):

2. Along with listening to my hair, I am blending tips from the following 2 hipo YouTubers' hair regimens:
    • Mama Daye
    • Afro Khadisiac

I love watching Mama Daye test moves/techniques helpful for hipo hair. Here is the main Mama Daye video that has influenced my regimen:

Here is the main set of Afro Khadisiac videos that has influenced my regimen:

Hello hi po fine sisters. I just got my results from Komaza and it seems like this thread is heaven sent. I have been on YouTube more then ever. It looks like wash day will be long but I look forward to tweaking my regimen. I have been shopping my stash for protein and good moisturizers. I had no idea I would have to layer so much. Also, I think I may try silicones for sealants. Definitely subbing!

Thank you @YvetteWithJoy!!! I'll watch the videos tonight. :bighug:

I have been stalking you even though your curls are looser than mine. I subbed the Type 4 Hi Po Hangout Thread and the Deep Conditioner thread last week.

I am now starting to pay attention to my natural hair and how it reacts to products. This morning I cowashed with the Eden Body Works CocoNut Shea CoWashand detangled. I used my Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Hair Cream and some Kinky Curly Knot today and then I did a really quick application and shake of Eco Styler Black Castor and Flaxseed Oil Gel :heart::heart::heart:. My coils were very well defined even though not fully separated.

I then sealed with a few spritzes of SheaMoisture’s High Porosity Moisture-Seal Finishing Elixir.

My curls stayed defined for most of the day. My fingers have a tendency to play and pull on my hair during the evening at my desk. I haven't done my night moisture routine as yet but my hair feels dry

I have been stalking you even though your curls are looser than mine. I subbed the Type 4 Hi Po Hangout Thread and the Deep Conditioner thread last week.

I am now starting to pay attention to my natural hair and how it reacts to products. This morning I cowashed with the Eden Body Works CocoNut Shea CoWashand detangled. I used my Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Hair Cream and some Kinky Curly Knot today and then I did a really quick application and shake of Eco Styler Black Castor and Flaxseed Oil Gel :heart::heart::heart:. My coils were very well defined even though not fully separated.

I then sealed with a few spritzes of SheaMoisture’s High Porosity Moisture-Seal Finishing Elixir.

My curls stayed defined for most of the day. My fingers have a tendency to play and pull on my hair during the evening at my desk. I haven't done my night moisture routine as yet but my hair feels dry

Sounds gorgeous! Good find, in terms of finding good product combinations that your hair likes. :smile:

Hello hi po fine sisters. I just got my results from Komaza and it seems like this thread is heaven sent. I have been on YouTube more then ever. It looks like wash day will be long but I look forward to tweaking my regimen. I have been shopping my stash for protein and good moisturizers. I had no idea I would have to layer so much. Also, I think I may try silicones for sealants. Definitely subbing!

I loooove using silicones to seal. My favorite is chi silk infusion!

Hi fine hair high porosity ladies.

I have a question. If you put your clean fine hair in water, will it ever sink? Mine never sinks and it can be there for days. Part of me attributed that to having fine hair and not low porosity. My hair is so light.

If part of your goal I'd to get curls popping, might I suggest clay? I'm not sure if the prepared blends are still as expensive as I recall, but I mix my own and that's cheap. I've found that, on type 4 hair, it reduces frizz over the long term. It won't change the diameter of your curls, but it will cut down the frizz around them so they can shine properly. :lol:

Oan, I did a little experiment. I've been mhm'ing since I transitioned, using one method or another, and I never got single strand knots. I started to think maybe I couldn't, maybe my hair just didn't do that. And then I laughed at that foolishness and decided to change my reggie and see. So I did the co wash/ shampoo rarely thing. Knots galore! I was horrified. :lol: So I figured it was mhm. What made me narrow it down to the clay was the fact that it was the only constant through out all my method changes.

[If anybody's interested, here's my recipe: Aztec clay, aloe Vera juice or gel as the bulk of the liquid, say 3/4, a quick 'glug' of both acv and glycerin, then enough water to loosen it up. Imo, it should be thick the first few times, but you can make it more like a rinse as you start seeing results. I make a lot at a time, say 10 days/ 3 washes worth, store it in a big Dawn bottle, and keep it in the fridge. Oh, and I always use it as a last step.]

Has anyone added henna to conditioner? I think it is a way to add protein. Is this henna glossing?

Hi fine hair high porosity ladies.

I have a question. If you put your clean fine hair in water, will it ever sink? Mine never sinks and it can be there for days. Part of me attributed that to having fine hair and not low porosity. My hair is so light.

My hair is extremely fine (when I relax most of my strands are so light they look like mongoloid strands) but when I do the porosity test they sink right down so I know they soak up the water. My hair once moisturized in the morning it feels instantly different but by afternoon there is a dryness to it.

If part of your goal I'd to get curls popping, might I suggest clay? I'm not sure if the prepared blends are still as expensive as I recall, but I mix my own and that's cheap. I've found that, on type 4 hair, it reduces frizz over the long term. It won't change the diameter of your curls, but it will cut down the frizz around them so they can shine properly. :lol:

Oan, I did a little experiment. I've been mhm'ing since I transitioned, using one method or another, and I never got single strand knots. I started to think maybe I couldn't, maybe my hair just didn't do that. And then I laughed at that foolishness and decided to change my reggie and see. So I did the co wash/ shampoo rarely thing. Knots galore! I was horrified. :lol: So I figured it was mhm. What made me narrow it down to the clay was the fact that it was the only constant through out all my method changes.

[If anybody's interested, here's my recipe: Aztec clay, aloe Vera juice or gel as the bulk of the liquid, say 3/4, a quick 'glug' of both acv and glycerin, then enough water to loosen it up. Imo, it should be thick the first few times, but you can make it more like a rinse as you start seeing results. I make a lot at a time, say 10 days/ 3 washes worth, store it in a big Dawn bottle, and keep it in the fridge. Oh, and I always use it as a last step.]

Thanks for this Honey Bee. Just a question. Do you do the full MHM routine? How often are you doing it? What other products are you using? I haven't tried MHM yet because of my time limitations. I have used the Naturalicious Rhassoul 5 in 1 clay treatment (last week's midweek wash) and I loved how my hair looked after the clay treatment and there was definite definition. However, my mistake was using the moisturizer and sealant (see the picture) that came with the clay 5 in 1 treatement and they did not cooperate with my hair. By evening my hair was a frizzy poofy dry mess.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for this Honey Bee. Just a question. Do you do the full MHM routine? How often are you doing it? What other products are you using? I haven't tried MHM yet because of my time limitations. .
Try it one weekend. You will be amazed, I promise. :lol:

Do I do the full routine? Yes and no. Yes, when I do it, I do the whole routine. However, I'm on a personal protective style challenge (2 yrs!!! Lol), so I only do it between installs. I keep the style for 6-8 wks, then 7-10 days of mhm every other day, then back into a new install. (I also try to squeeze in two heavy protein treatments.) That intense 7-10 days is how I rebuild my super fine strands so they can hold the next style.

Which products do I use? I am not a stickler. :look: Here's a sample reggie.

Step 1. Acv and water (I keep mine in a spray bottle for ease of use)

Step 2. Whatever conditioner I have around. (I'm trying to use up an enormous stash.) If it's not sinking into my hair right, I'll add some warm water.

Step 3. Clay rinse

Step 4. Diluted kinky curly, not bc they said so, bc my hair really likes it.

Step 5. Whatever gel I want, currently wetline extreme.

It sounds like a lot, but with all the pre poo ing, oil rinses, etc, other reggies have a lot of steps too. One thing that speeds it up is pre prep. The other is, you don't have to keep this stuff on long if your doing it regularly. You can do step 1. outside the shower, let sit, do step 2 as soon as you get in, step 3 about halfway through, and boom, you're done. Then it's just leave ins and stylers. :yep:

My hair used to be really porous too, but it's not any more. I think it's all the cuticle sealants used in this reggie (acv, avj, the clay itself, then the gel). Hth!

Great post. I can cosign on the use of clay for the effects discussed. Yup!

If you are not into mixing, Sheaterra sells nice clay powder mixes in a bottle, such as Sheaterra's Mongongo Banana Rhassoul Mud Poo. You simply add liquid. Poppage and hydration city!

And although expensive, the Naturalicious clay wash had my coils popping, hydrated, moisturized, etc.

ETA: Oh! I see you've tried the Naturalicious clay with nice results. :yep:

Has anyone added henna to conditioner? I think it is a way to add protein. Is this henna glossing?
I do this, but I add the conditioner to the henna. That is indeed a henna gloss. It does fill gaps in the cuticle but I found that it can't replace protein for me. They do different things somehow. Who knows, lol. But I definitely still use both. I love them equally.

Back