Need Help/any Advice

sexylonglegs

Wuzzup ladies

I need help :(

I took weave out of my hair which had been in for three months and I waited 7 days when I took it out to put a relaxer in my hair. My hair was washed and conditioned very well. I used Optimum super strength relaxer because I feel it is a good box relaxer. Anyway I did the relaxer however I was not able to comb it all the way through the ends of my hair because it was super strenth and I did not want to keep it in over time. I think it did not take well because my roots are somewhat straight but my ends are no straight when I put my conditioner and protein in my hair my ends are really dry/course/kind of looks like new growth. The first time after my relaxer I did a motions silk protein after I rinsed out the relaxer and did the clairifying shampoo that came with the relaxer, and I washed with Nexxus Therrape shampoo and did condition for about 30 minues with Nexxus Humectress and did a leave in conditioner of Nexxus Headress and when blow drying my ends were dry and kind of hard. I washed last night and did not blow dry and my ends still looked this way. I moisturize daily and wrap my hair at night. I need you ladies advice on what a beautician told me. The beautician told me to do a protein treatment and wait for about 2 weeks and use a Optimum regular strength and apply it to the ends of my hair and work my way up and keep it on the time the relaxer says it on. I am only able to get my ends straight by applying heat, I am using the ION heat protectant also.... One more thing ladies, I did a protein conditioner last night because I was getting some breakage on the ends of my hair and some shedding but it has slowed down but right now unfortunately I have to use heat. I am currently washing every 3-4 days I do Kerapix biweekly and hotoil treatment weekly, I do a leave in conditioner all of this by nexxus...

I am sorry it is so long but I want you guys opinion on the breakage and hard ends or if you think I need to apply that relaxer... thank You so much for any input...

Were you natural before this relaxer? If not why do you want to comb the relaxer all the way through? A protein treatment definitely helps with breakage, but I would not be following up with another protein treatment or relaxer.

Last edited:
When I blowdry my hair, my ends and entire hair shaft are HARD and DRY! Have you considered roller-setting instead using a creamy leave-in? Liquid leave-ins make my hair hard too.

Also, I don't think your hair needs any more protein right now. You may be suffering from a protein overdose and should start using moisturizing products only for a little while.

You may benefit from a mini-trim (1/4 inch) if your ends are in bad shape. Are they splitting or just dry?

How long is your hair? I assume you had a relaxer before you styled your hair in a weave so reapplying a relaxer to your ends shouldn't be necessary unless you have a full head of newgrowth and need a "fresh" relaxer.

Some of these ladies will come through with more advice. Good luck . . .

Well sista, my question is do you usually apply your relaxer to the length (ends) of your hair? First of all, the stylist sounds dangerous :look: i would stay away from her, her advice does not sound like good advice. 2ndly, if you usually apply the relaxer to the ends of your hair, then that is why you are having that problem. How do i know? Because 4yrs ago, i always did the same, i even had a stylist who did the same to my hair. I was miseducated, i didn't know any better. So therefore my ends were overprocessed and they'd always nap up like 4weeks post, if i did not continually relax them. The way i combatted it was to get someone to do your relaxer PROPERLY, give you like a 2inch cut and then start from there. Just keep your ends oiled so you won't experience as much breakage as i did. although i think that my hair was pretty much fried, so breakage was inevitable. But at least i was able to maintain my shoulder-length hair.
And i started getting rollersets which kept my ends straight. So now my advice to you would be to PLEASE do not get another relaxer in 2 weeks, you will overprocess your hair and all of your hair will be too weak and will eventually break, which will leave u frustrated until all of that hair grows out. Anyways, suck it up...u got a bad perm.....we've all been there....that means that u have to just wear smart hairstyles and wait at least 5 or 6 weeks until you correct your problem. For the next 5 weeks, just try to find cute ponytails or updos, or even perhaps rollersets would work great for you. And make it your personal goal to 'baby' your hair over the next 5 weeks, which means you should wash at least once a week or 2x. deep cond very often, and moisturize, oil everyday.

Well I wish you great success in your hair journey!

Black Sista said:
Wuzzup ladies

I need help :(

I took weave out of my hair which had been in for three months and I waited 7 days when I took it out to put a relaxer in my hair. My hair was washed and conditioned very well. I used Optimum super strength relaxer because I feel it is a good box relaxer. Anyway I did the relaxer however I was not able to comb it all the way through the ends of my hair because it was super strenth and I did not want to keep it in over time. I think it did not take well because my roots are somewhat straight but my ends are no straight when I put my conditioner and protein in my hair my ends are really dry/course/kind of looks like new growth. The first time after my relaxer I did a motions silk protein after I rinsed out the relaxer and did the clairifying shampoo that came with the relaxer, and I washed with Nexxus Therrape shampoo and did condition for about 30 minues with Nexxus Humectress and did a leave in conditioner of Nexxus Headress and when blow drying my ends were dry and kind of hard. I washed last night and did not blow dry and my ends still looked this way. I moisturize daily and wrap my hair at night. I need you ladies advice on what a beautician told me. The beautician told me to do a protein treatment and wait for about 2 weeks and use a Optimum regular strength and apply it to the ends of my hair and work my way up and keep it on the time the relaxer says it on. I am only able to get my ends straight by applying heat, I am using the ION heat protectant also.... One more thing ladies, I did a protein conditioner last night because I was getting some breakage on the ends of my hair and some shedding but it has slowed down but right now unfortunately I have to use heat. I am currently washing every 3-4 days I do Kerapix biweekly and hotoil treatment weekly, I do a leave in conditioner all of this by nexxus...

I am sorry it is so long but I want you guys opinion on the breakage and hard ends or if you think I need to apply that relaxer... thank You so much for any input...

No my hair was not natural, I had somewhat straight ends but I also had bad breakage from a permanent color this beautician put in my hair. and my ends were uneven and in bad shape even before I put the relaxer in. Since I have relaxed my hair I have only had motions silk protein which was right after the relaxer and I have had a hot oil which was one week after the relaxer and now last night was keraphix and I always followup with a moisturizing conditioner. My hair is really soft now that I have flat ironed it and put in lots of moisture. Let me see if I can explain this, After my hair air dryed.. I can use a comb and comb all the way to the ends and they would be hard and break off in little pieces in my sink. When I flat ironed and comb through the hair was was not breaking as bad. This morning I combed my hair and only a few hairs fell in the sink, it is not like 60-100 strands it is minimum... I hair is shoulder length. I can say that is is definitely healthier after the kerapix and humectress which I mixed them together

No, I try not to apply the relaxer to my alrealy relaxed hair. I have applied it like that in the past because I was uneducated but now since being on here with you ladies I know better. Personally I think I should have used regular strenth. So when I get my relaxer again in six weeks I should get regular strength right and only apply it to the new growth?

I am using heat about twice a week and I am washing every 3-4 days and i am using heat protectants, do you guys think this is okay.... I KNO WHAT YOUR GOING TO SAY HEAT IS NOT GOOD FOR THE HAIR... BUT I AM DOING BETTER I AM AIR DRYING NOW WHEN I WOULD USUALLY A BLOW DRYER, OR I WOULD SIT UNDER A HOODED DRYER ON COOL AIR. BUT I AM USE TO USING HOT IRONS EVERY DAY SO I AM GETTING BETTER..:) I ONLY USE A HOT IRON AFTER I WASH AND CONDITION.. AND THEN MAYBE LATER IN THE WEEK:)

Black Sista said:
No, I try not to apply the relaxer to my alrealy relaxed hair. I have applied it like that in the past because I was uneducated but now since being on here with you ladies I know better. Personally I think I should have used regular strenth. So when I get my relaxer again in six weeks I should get regular strength right and only apply it to the new growth?

I am using heat about twice a week and I am washing every 3-4 days and i am using heat protectants, do you guys think this is okay.... I KNO WHAT YOUR GOING TO SAY HEAT IS NOT GOOD FOR THE HAIR... BUT I AM DOING BETTER I AM AIR DRYING NOW WHEN I WOULD USUALLY A BLOW DRYER, OR I WOULD SIT UNDER A HOODED DRYER ON COOL AIR. BUT I AM USE TO USING HOT IRONS EVERY DAY SO I AM GETTING BETTER..:) I ONLY USE A HOT IRON AFTER I WASH AND CONDITION.. AND THEN MAYBE LATER IN THE WEEK:)

I feel that if your hair is shedding/breaking, using heat will only worsen the situation. No matter who you ask about how often to use heat, you will get a different answer, I think it really depends on your hair. I used to use heat everyday, and although I did not notice any ill effects to my hair, I know it was not a good thing to be doing so I stopped. Rollersets are a great way to style your hair to keep heat to a minimum until the shedding/breakage stops.

I went to bathroom combed my hair and only got 3-4 hair in sink so I think the keraphix worked immediately... I do keep it moisturized and I use the humectress as a moisturizer as well... I am going to try to stay away from hot stuff,,, I do use ceramic though..:)

Thank You ladies for all your input and you have been great... if anyone else has any more input lay it on me I take what you guys say to heart, luv u all...

god bless

As a rule I never comb air dried hair unless I air dried in a roller set. When I air dry I wear a style that does not require combing (bun, updo, braid outs,etc).

Just my opinion but I think you should try hard to cut back to one form of direct heat. If you blow dry don't use a curling iron or flat iron. If you can, try to only use heat once a week. Rollersets or flexi sets have been a life saver for me because I can get 4-5 days out of one set and only have to use heat that one time.

If your ends are dry it may not be necessary to cut but if damage is what you are seeing than a fresh trim maybe in order. I would moisturize and use a light oil to seal the ends and see how that works for awhile.

I've been in this situation before. My suggestion, which I wish I knew about then, I would wait it out until your next touch up to run the relaxer through. In the meantime, if your hair is breaking, I would apply a strong protein treatment, follow with a moisturizing conditioner and flatiron the hair to correct the demarcation point temporary. The following week, I would go with a regular deep condition.

While deep conditioning your hair, one week try applying moisturizing agents to your hair daily and inspect the hair lost during an average comb out.

Another week, try decreasing the amount of moisturizing agents to your hair and inspect the hair lost during an average comb out.

For me, I lose more hair with the addition of products and confused it with needing more protein.

Then it's time for your touch-up, do the new growth and then run the relaxer through the ends.

I comb with a wide tooth comb, and when I comb my hair do have some short pieces on my clothes and maybe a few in the sink, but nothing like 60-100 strands, I get some shedding also but I don't think it is a lot of breakage or shedding. I do have some short peices on my clothes and i shake those off and I see how much it is in the sink and it's not that bad. I thought some breakage and shedding was normal am I right? from what I described does this seem like a lot to you. or should I do a emergency treatment a week from now because I just did a Keraphix last night.:(

Why are you applying the perm to the entire length of your hair :confused:

If you have done this before...then that is probably why your ends look dry. I would just make sure my hair is moisturized. You might want to do a wash and set instead of blowdrying your hair...or you can also wrap your hair while wet. It will smooth the ends.

You are not supposed to have relaxer on the ends of your hair, just the new growth.

wrapping while hair is wet is a good idea, what do you use to wrap your hair.. I have some lottabody...

the moisturizers I user right now are

Humectress
headress
Smooth and Shine Polishing Oil Moisturizer( this makes hair feel like silk)
Carrot Oil( good for hair breakage, hot oil, hair and scalp oil, body message oil)
Neutrogena Tripple Moisture
Mayonnaise and Honey creme hair dressing( this smells really good, I don't use it all the time because it is kind of heavey but it smells heavenly)

Back