Need Advice on: AIR DRYING!

Estelle

Hi Ladies,

I decided to airdry my hair yesterday.

I Shampoo-ed my hair with NTM and Deep Conditioned with NTM Deep Mask for 30mins. After Deep Conditioning, i rinsed the conditioner off then blot my hair with a towel to take the excess water out of hair.

Once i was done. Applied Carol's Daughter healthy butter to the Scalp, NTM Silk Leave-in Conditioner & S-curl no drip to the Hair and sealed it with KEMY Oil. Put it in a Bun and tied a scarf.

I decided to take the bun out this afternoon only to find out that my hair was breaking and in addition to that it was frizzy at the ENDS.

So i really don't know what to do. Is there something am doing wrong or AIR DRYING isn't just for me???

Would be happy if you Ladies can help me out with this.

There are different ways of air drying. Usually the results are with frizzy ends (some people don't mind if wearing updos) unless you airdry in a rollerset, which is what I do. Airdrying in a rollerset always give me nice, smooth ends while it straightens/smoothes out my hair. Lots of body too.

Lately, I've been airdrying using Sylver2's method of tying the wet hair in a satin scarf, leaving the length hanging in the back and rolling up the ends with magnetic rollers just a few inches up. The pic in my siggy is after airdrying that way.

One of the ladies here posted she airdries her hair wrapped just in a satin scarf (length wrapped too) and gets smooth hair and ends. I haven't been able to find that post in a while. I really want to try that method too.

Isis said:
There are different ways of air drying. Usually the results are with frizzy ends (some people don't mind if wearing updos) unless you airdry in a rollerset, which is what I do. Airdrying in a rollerset always give me nice, smooth ends while it straightens/smoothes out my hair. Lots of body too.

Lately, I've been airdrying using Sylver2's method of tying the wet hair in a satin scarf, leaving the length hanging in the back and rolling up the ends with magnetic rollers just a few inches up. The pic in my siggy is after airdrying that way.

One of the ladies here posted she airdries her hair wrapped just in a satin scarf (length wrapped too) and gets smooth hair and ends. I haven't been able to find that post in a while. I really want to try that method too.

Thank you so much Isis. Your hair looks beautiful in your Siggy. Saw Sylver2's method and all i can is Wow! she's so creative. Would really love to try the Wrap technique. Please let me know if you come across the page. Thanks

I had a bad air drying weekend this weekend. In fact, I've had bad experiences throughout the weekend, trying to do something different instead of what works for me. Of course, God bless my LHCF sisters here. They told me what I did wrong. The trick is to protect the ends. While wet, add a moisturizer, then a sealant. Some people bun with the ends loose or using a foam donut. Others wrap the entire wet head in a silk scarf, while yet others rollerset then allow to dry without heat. I think Isis's procedure sounds like a good idea for me. I typically rollerset anyway, but my mistake was not protecting those ends. I do think that's the key and the sealant, such as a serum applied while wet might do the trick.

Happy growing!

I think air drying works best when you section the hair in smaller, plats, twist, Bantu knots. Also apply a light oil to seal the cuticles of each section.

Isis said:

That's the method I used last year, and got great growth and thickness. Unfortunately, due to the season change in the fall (shedding), combined with a scissor happy stylist :mad: , all my hard work went down the drain. I'll probably do it again this summer.

When I air dry I put on my moisturer and oil and put my hair is a ponytail and tie my hair what a scraf. I think the scraft is the key because it allows the moisture to stay in your hair. I haven't had any problem when I air dry with a scraft tied on my head.

I usually deep condition, (I skip the leave in moisturizer), rinse well and put a generous amount of oil (WGO mostly) on my hair, and pretty much saturate the ends. I twist, pin down, and let air dry. If I let it dry completely before taking it down, I will have no frizz and no breakage. I think the most important think is the seal/smooth the ends.

Back