Need advice on a relaxer shift

childoftheKing

Syntonics ( formerly: Need advice on changing my relaxer)

Hi everyone :) I've decided to come out of lurking after so many years to ask your advice. I always consult this forum when trying a new hair product, but this time a search didn't help much, so I'm hoping for some replies.

I really am not sure what type of hair I had before I relaxed, but I was told once that its 3C.

I just finished a jar of Mizani Butter Blends (normal) and while I liked it better than Design Essentials I wouldnt say I love it. Has anyone here used the Syntonics Lye Relaxer? It is the one I have been eyeing, but the tub is sooo huge, and the reviews on it are so few and far in between...I'm nervous about committing.

If anyone has used this relaxer after using Mizani Butter Blends, please let me know what you thought of it!

Last edited:
hmmm, I had uploaded it after a bit, because I couldn't figure out how. Try refreshing to see if it will load the second time around.

I have never used Syntonics but IMO it is not a good idea to keep changing your relaxer. Do you have recent hair pics?

Last edited:
I updated the post by attaching instead of linking the photo...they are in chronological order. The last pic was taken on April 30th

I can see the pic. You have BEAUTIFUL hair :yep:

I've never heard/tried syntonics. I think you should stick with Mizani. Your hair looks the best in the last 2 pics where you used Mizani for a year. I would stick with that to be honest. You also said it's nice so stick with that :)

Thank you AlliCat :) is that you in your sig? now THAT is gorgeous hair!!!!

I really do like my hair more than before. I just wish I loved it lol. I am actually thinking I should stick with the Mizani, although my (new) stylist is begging me to buy a different one this time around.

eta: I was just reading your blog, and that Reviving Colors pretty much changed the texture of my hair too. :(

Last edited:
Thank you AlliCat :) is that you in your sig? now THAT is gorgeous hair!!!!

I really do like my hair more than before. I just wish I loved it lol. I am actually thinking I should stick with the Mizani, although my (new) stylist is begging me to buy a different one this time around.

eta: I was just reading your blog, and that Reviving Colors pretty much changed the texture of my hair too. :(

Thanks :) Does the feeling from reviving colors go away after time? it says its supposed to be gone after 6-8 washes :confused:

Why does your stylist want you to change relaxers?

I have used Syntonics and liked it. I mentioned before I use a relaxer for about a year, and switch. I didn't have any problems with it and would go back to it. I like the poo and con also. My sister and mom was using it so the tub didn't go to waste.

Thanks shiney_sapphire. I would be using it for a year as well, maybe more. As the much smaller jar of Mizani lasted me a year. What other relaxers have you liked/disliked?

Last edited:
Thanks :) Does the feeling from reviving colors go away after time? it says its supposed to be gone after 6-8 washes :confused:

Why does your stylist want you to change relaxers?

Mine still feels the same after 7 months. A plus is that the color hasn't faded either :). I know it's the color because my roots feel much different.

She says she doesn't like how it makes my hair feel and preferred my hair with the Design Essentials relaxer. :nono: heck no way am I doing that again.

when i used to relax i did lye and used affirm fiberguard.....what ever relaxer you used in the past that gave you great results go back to it, don't try anything new.

So I decided to try the Syntonics Relaxer. My stylist examined my scalp and I still had tender spots from my last relaxer (Mizani) - I was 10 weeks post, at the time.

Syntonics is supposed to be soothing to the scalp, so I'm all in.

I decided to try out the rest of the line to see how much I liked them first, I'll share this here since first hand info in these products is almost non-existent!

Botanical Detangling Shampoo:
Loved this: Moisturising, with no build up. I felt the difference as soon as I applied it. It reminds me of Kera Care moisturizing Shampoo but its not as heavy, which is awesome. 8/10

Repair Therapy Intensive Conditioner

Very minty tingly...definitely aromatic, but very heavy and not as moisturizing. I preferred how the shampoo made my hair feel before I applied this. 6/10

Botanical Strengthening Serum Leave-in Conditioner

WOW...I bought this and never used it for a few weeks, and now i'm kicking myself! Its awesome! Its softens my new growth immediately! 8/10

Edge Define Hairline Smoother

Loved this too...not too dense, gave just the right amount of hold for a day. No icky buildup and smells waaay better than the Kera Care version. I use it daily, I think it will become my HG 9/10

All the products smell mild, distinctly minty, like the tea tree oil.
The bottles are exactly the same sizes as the ones Kera Care uses (obviously, its the same company), so for that I would rate these products as priced above average. They cost a little less than KC but not very much less.

I haven't relaxed yet, but will be sure to report back with my experience.

Back