Need Advice: Former Braid Wearers & 4a Virgin Hair

AtlantaJJ

Ladies,

I have posted here several times since I joined a week ago. My challenge is to bring my hair back to health after years of wearing back-to-back braided and weaved styles. I took my braids down about 10 days ago and I am 100% virgin mainly type 4a hair if I understand the type chart correctly. When in good condition, my hair makes a round coil, although a very small coil. I guess you would consider my hair fine, because the individual strands have a small circumfrance. Under normal healthy conditions I would say I have medium density (# of strands on my head vs the size of the strand)

Since I have been out of my braids I have washed and condtioned 3 times. This last time I did an Aphrogee deep protein treatment and a color rinse to help fill in the cuticle. My hair feels sooo much better to the touch now and it is very shinny. I don't have much breakage at all, I trimmed my ends and will continue to do so for a while. I can tell my cuticle was extreemly rough, and my hair is very porous because it frizzes at the slightest sign of humidity.

I flat ironed Saturday afternoon, then Sunday morning I had what appeared to be a freshly washed afro again! It's seems to hold a press a little better than an iron at this point, but it still ends up looking like a puff ball at the end of the day.

I want to relax because of my active lifestyle. I can not have my hair reverting every time I run or workout. I have my products narrowed down to Mizani Fine and Color treated or Silk Elements Megasilk Lye. I think my hair does better with Lye based relaxers. I was thinking of going with the mild because there will be less chance that I over process my hair. I could handle under processed better.

Is it eaiser to staighten hair that has already been pressed before applying relaxer? It seems like it would take less smoothing to get it straight. Is that right?

Any pointers you can offer would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your help with this.
Janet in Atlanta

Now I'm adding Phyto back to my list of relaxers. I'm bumping this up because I could really use some help from some of the "old heads" here Please!! I want to do something about this head but I need advic!!

:eek:

AtlantaJJ said:
Is it eaiser to staighten hair that has already been pressed before applying relaxer? It seems like it would take less smoothing to get it straight. Is that right?

Any pointers you can offer would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your help with this.
Janet in Atlanta

I'm sorry I don't understand your question:look: Just for clarification, you want to know should you press your hair and then apply a relaxer or should you relax your hair while it is in it's natural state?

Maybe you should change the title to former nappies or something of that nature, I have no clue on which way is better. Viva la naps! lol

Phyto & Mizani seem to be a favorite relaxer amongst the ladies. Also Rollersets and Carusos.

DO NOT FLAT IRON YOUR HAIR BEFORE YOU APPLY A RELAXER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go see Balisi @ her salon and let her do a full head virgin relaxer. In the mean time to prevent reversion, don't press your hair, wear it in a puff or get your natural hair twisted and wear it loose or in a bun. Check out Caisha's album for natural hair styling tips until you get your relaxer.

HELP!! Former Nappies / Bradied Going Relaxed

shiningstar84 said:
I'm sorry I don't understand your question:look: Just for clarification, you want to know should you press your hair and then apply a relaxer or should you relax your hair while it is in it's natural state?

Maybe you should change the title to former nappies or something of that nature, I have no clue on which way is better. Viva la naps! lol

Hi there,
Thanks for helping me sort this out. I'm wearing my hair pressed now so I was wondering if it would help me during the relaxing process to deal with hair that is semi straight from the pressing vs it's normal nappy state.

Would the straightness from the previous press cause me to under process?

I would perfer to go to a professional, but the one's that I have talked to so far don't seem to appreciate a person with a mind to care for their own hair most of the time (has anyone else run into that?) I guess that's another thread! LOL

Re: HELP!! Former Nappies / Bradied Going Relaxed

Have you ever tried Too Groovy? It's a salon for naturals, but most people who go there wear their hair straight. I've been there a few times, and the style lasts until I wash my hair.

Also, I would not recommend straightening before relaxing.

MissJ said:
Have you ever tried Too Groovy? It's a salon for naturals, but most people who go there wear their hair straight. I've been there a few times, and the style lasts until I wash my hair.

Also, I would not recommend straightening before relaxing.

The other part that I forgot to mention is that I am a runner, that is why I wore my hair braided for so long. To go short and natural right now would be close to professional suicide because of my position.

I was going to wait a week after pressing before I relaxed, I wasn't going to press, then immediately relax. I don't have the luxury of wearing my hair natural for a week or more before I relax....so I'm between a rock and a hard place! :perplexed

AtlantaJJ said:
I was going to wait a week after pressing before I relaxed, I wasn't going to press, then immediately relax. I don't have the luxury of wearing my hair natural for a week or more before I relax....so I'm between a rock and a hard place! :perplexed

Pardon me for being nosy, but why can't you wear YOUR HAIR natural because of work? That's discrimination and a law suit waiting to happen

Cooyah said:
Pardon me for being nosy, but why can't you wear YOUR HAIR natural because of work? That's discrimination and a law suit waiting to happen

I hear you and appreciate your concern. I love where I am now, I'm very blessed to be in this position. There is just a certain protocol here and I don't want to buck it. It's not worth it, (took me a minute to get here)

I am just looking for options and I can't wear twists right now, I'm wearing a 3/4 as a protective style until I can figure out what to do.

Back