Need Advice for Overprocessed Hair

A.Marie

Every time I would get a relaxer, my edges, front, and crown would consist of broken hairs. I mentioned this to my stylist, so he suggested that we avoid relaxing the edges. Well, that helped the edges but the rest of the hair would still be dry, crunchy, and broken about three days after the relaxer.

After my relaxer in November, the breakage started again. I could not take it anymore, therefore, I went to see another stylist based on a recommendation from a friend. Before I went to this new stylist, I did not think my hair was that bad. :perplexed She told me that my hair was overprocessed, weakened strands, and damaged in several areas especially my already weak edges. :sad: She had to cut two or more inches and suggested treatments and stretching my relaxer beyond 8 weeks. At first, I was disappointed, because I thought the length looked healthy. I thought I was on the road to recovery after a color application had caused damage about a year and a half ago. She showed me the back and how it was thin and transparent. The cut has grown on me and I have received a lot of compliments. What can I do at home and in between salon visits to get my hair back on the road to recovery? Currently, I am taking Biotin and shampooing/deep conditioning between salon visits.

Back in November Before Last Round of Damage

After Salon Visit--Major Cut

Last edited:
I think using the entire line of Aphogee products would be good for your hair. It's really great for bringing relaxed hair back to life.

Im scared to say this :)lol:)...but, check out Ateyaa's old videos from when she used to use Aphogee.

Last edited:
I suffered sort of the same thing. I went to my stylist to get a relaxer retouch and she ended up putting the relaxer from roots to end. Her excuse was that "my ends needed to be "freshened up". :swearing:
That was the LAST time i trusted my hair in the hands of someone other than my own. I'm still trying to get my hair back healthy from that incident and I suffered a lot of the same symptoms as you and here are my tips

1. dont depend on you're stylist. point....blank....period.

2. listen to what your hair is telling you. if it feels gummy and limp it's probably over moisturized and needs some protein. a good one is joico k-pak reconstructor. if your hair feels hard and brittle it probably has too much protein and you need to moisturize some more. my favorite is aussie moist, joico moisture recovery balm, and Wen Fig.

3. try to stretch your relaxer to give your hair a rest. maybe go 6 months or longer to nurse you're hair back to health.

4. give heat a rest. try not to use a flat iron, curling iron, or blow dryer more than once a week. the longer without the better.

5. be gentle to your hair. dont over manipulate.

6. try protective styles!

that's all i have for now. hope this helps!!!
GOOD LUCK!! :bouncy:

I suffered sort of the same thing. I went to my stylist to get a relaxer retouch and she ended up putting the relaxer from roots to end. Her excuse was that "my ends needed to be "freshened up". :swearing:
That was the LAST time i trusted my hair in the hands of someone other than my own. I'm still trying to get my hair back healthy from that incident and I suffered a lot of the same symptoms as you and here are my tips

1. dont depend on you're stylist. point....blank....period.
2. listen to what your hair is telling you. if it feels gummy and limp it's probably over moisturized and needs some protein. a good one is joico k-pak reconstructor. if your hair feels hard and brittle it probably has too much protein and you need to moisturize some more. my favorite is aussie moist, joico moisture recovery balm, and Wen Fig.

3. try to stretch your relaxer to give your hair a rest. maybe go 6 months or longer to nurse you're hair back to health.

4. give heat a rest. try not to use a flat iron, curling iron, or blow dryer more than once a week. the longer without the better.

5. be gentle to your hair. dont over manipulate.

6. try protective styles!

that's all i have for now. hope this helps!!!
GOOD LUCK!! :bouncy:

I must agree with you on that one. Sometimes you get so caught up and think your stylist knows what is best for your hair. :nono: Thank you for all of those great tips.

I'm not relaxed anymore but Duo-tex (low end) or Dudley's DR-C(high end) brought my hair back to life fast.

Back