Need advice fast..is a pre-braiding wash necessary?

melodee

I had my hair washed a week ago today. It is still very clean, no bad odor and not dandruff. As a result of a blowout, my roots are fairly straight still. I want to run out and get cornrows tonight. Is a pre-braiding wash necessary for me if my hair is in okay shape? I'd rather do my own wash than have the braiders do it and use that awful blowdryer with the brush/pick.

I would wash my hair before I put the braids in. It is also recommended that you do a deep conditioning treatment too. The key is to strengthen your hair and to make sure you do not have any product/debris in your hair that would cause the braids to 'slip out'.

I too would wash and deep condition my hair before any type of braids. I do this before I get my hair braided because I want my hair to be super clean and in the best shape possible before being braided up for weeks/months at a time.

Also, you mentioned that your hair is still fairly straight from your last blowout. I know my braider recommends that my hair is free from any oils or a press because it's easier for her to braid my hair when it hasn't been manipulated in any way or slicked down with any products. This helps eliminate flyaways and her not having to constantly rebraid the same area because she can't grasp it. HTH.

Last edited:
Thanks to those who responded, I did just that. I did a shampoo and conditioned it beforehand. I blow dried it on cool (mostly). It came out soft, but with texture(not straightened). The cornrows turned out nice and I plan to wear em for about a month and then have em redone!

Back