Need a little relaxer advice:(

SaintLuxe

i have thick,shoulder length 3b/c hair w/highlites and i just started relaxing it at home w/Affirm relaxer for dry hair (trying to save some serious $$$-at the salon i end up dropping $120-140 every 6 weeks for just a touch-up!). anyway, the issue is that after i was done, i could feel that i missed a few spots:cry:
so i am not quite sure what to do?? should i wait 6 weeks and just go back over it or can i touch up the spots i missed sooner than that? and, i would definitely like to avoid/minimize any potential breakage. any advice would be appreciated.

ps-also, any suggestions on how i can avoid missing any spots in the future? my hair is thickest in the back...and that is were i missed a few places.

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
SaintLuxe said:
i have thick,shoulder length 3b/c hair w/highlites and i just started relaxing it at home w/Affirm relaxer for dry hair (trying to save some serious $$$-at the salon i end up dropping $120-140 every 6 weeks for just a touch-up!). anyway, the issue is that after i was done, i could feel that i missed a few spots:cry:
so i am not quite sure what to do?? should i wait 6 weeks and just go back over it or can i touch up the spots i missed sooner than that? and, i would definitely like to avoid/minimize any potential breakage. any advice would be appreciated.

ps-also, any suggestions on how i can avoid missing any spots in the future? my hair is thickest in the back...and that is were i missed a few places.

thanks in advance!

What the heck salon were you going to?? $120-$140 for a touchup. You were getting ripped off.

Yeah $120-140 is pretty high and I want to know the same thing because this is the reason why I dont relax my hair myself because I always dont relax everything all the way :(

my hairdresser opened up her own salon and i wanted to support. so, it was $90 for a Affirm relaxer and $40 for a trim...for some reason she charged the same for a haircut as she did for a trim! i have never heard of that before. anyway, she was really good and really quick-i was in and out within 1 1/2hrs no more than 2...and my hair looked great but i just couldn't afford it anymore. and the other salons in Philly that do black hair have you in the chair for 6-7 hours just for a touch-up and blowdry!! even then, their Affirm relaxers are like $70-80 what's a girl to do??!!!

Shoot $90 still too much and what kinda mess is that that she charging for a trim too :eek: Mine is always included I wish I would pay somebody to cut my hair that Im trying to grow *insert you got me f-ed up smiley* :D but Im just a cheapo anyways.

tell me about it, Skyblu...so i am kind of stuck. i loved how she did hair but didn't love how much she charged! and i really was trying to support new black business, etc...but she completely disregarded that i was a loyal customer from before she owned this spot and actually gave all of her new customers a DISCOUNT and raised the prices for her old customers!!! what kind of customer appreciation is that?! and i recommended her to all of my friends! and, unfortunately, the rest of the salons in Philly aren't much better, pricewise and definitely NOT timewise! i can't spend my entire day off just waiting for someone to blowdry my hair and flat iron after a touch. i guess the title of my post really should have been: DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY GOOD SALONS IN PHILLY?!:LOL:

I will say it again...don't sleep on the international chains.... JC Penney, Hair Cuttery, etc etc. They are trained at ethnic hair. I faithfully get my hair relaxed at Hair Cuttery for $48, using Mizani regular. They also listen when u say u want only a 'small trim' or anything else. And when i ask for them to put cholesterol on my length before he relaxes...they odn't roll their eyes and laugh... Their blowdrys are like $15 and rollersets are like $20. They come out just as nice cause they use professional products. Plus there isnt a long wait...i doont think they are allowed to double-book clients. Just be sure to interview the stylist just to ask them to explain their technique to relax hair. My stylist does it the best and most carefullest ive ever had. Yet there is a stylist in the salon who commented on how she runs the relaxer thru the length to get it extra straight. So be sure to ask first....i wouldnt want to ever use someone other than my stylist. And this is the 2nd one in Hair Cuttery that i found that is super good. Good luck!!!

Back