Need a cone-free moisturizer...suggestions?

pink gator

Hi--

I've reduced my use of cones 96% because my fine-textured, now permanently colored hair hates them.

With the color, I REALLY have to be proactive with moisturizing, and the NTM Silk-Touch Leave-In has plenty cones and my two-week-old color doesn't like it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I really need something lightweight and noncomedogenic (my face will break out with a quickness).

Thanks in advance!

Morning! Try the Giovanni Direct Leave-In. Available at Whole Foods for about $8 bucks.

Ingredients: Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived).

HTH

Morning! Try the Giovanni Direct Leave-In. Available at Whole Foods for about $8 bucks.

Ingredients: Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived).

HTH

I second this. It's a really good, light-weight leave-in and it makes your hair feel super moisturized without weighing it down. :yep:. I even like to use their regular conditioners as a leave-in because they have natural ingredients and no cones and are slightly thicker, if you want something heavier.

Wow! Fa real?

I have some here, mixed with SAA; it's my favorite!

So I can use it daily, sealed with castor oil?

*Muffin*, you and I have the same hair texture. We can possibly be hair twins!

Wow! Fa real?

I have some here, mixed with SAA; it's my favorite!

So I can use it daily, sealed with castor oil?

*Muffin*, you and I have the same hair texture. We can possibly be hair twins!

Really? Cool. I've never had a hair twin before :grin:. Then our hair will probably like the same things. My hair hates cones. My ends get all tangly and snarled. My ends have improved drastically since I switched to cone free, more natural products :yep:.

Really. My hair hates cones. My ends get all tangly and snarled. My ends have improved drastically since I switched to cone free, more natural products :yep:.

...yeah, mine turn into straw because the cones prevent moisture from getting in.

I was a die-hard Humecto fan until I noticed that my hair wasn't keeping any moisture, especially with my use of protein since I'm relaxed. And Humecto has cones.

So I jumped on the Aveda/Aubrey Organics bandwagon, and my hair has been moist ever since--except for the NTM.

We should start bouncing ideas off each other. I noticed that Gymfreak and Lavendar have similar hair types to ours.

What's your regimen?

Last edited:
...yeah, mine turn into straw because the cones prevent moisture from getting in.

I was a die-hard Humecto fan until I noticed that my hair wasn't keeping any moisture, especially with my use of protein since I'm relaxed. And Humecto has cones.

So I jumped on the Aveda/Aubrey Organics bandwagon, and my hair has been moist ever since--except for the NTM.

We should start bouncing ideas off each other. I noticed that Gymfreak and Lavendar have similar hair types to ours.

What's your regimen?

My reggie changes from time to time, but as of right now here's what I do:

-Wash my hair 1-2 times a week using a sulfate free shampoo (currently I'm using Giovanni Golden Wheat shampoo). I don't really shampoo a lot. I usually just take a small amount and rub it on my scalp to cleanse it and then I co-wash afterward.
-Bentonite clay treatment every Thursday to clarify. Leaves my hair feeling really soft :).
-Deep condition my hair every Thursday. I usually mix coconut oil in with my DC's to add a bit of protein (I like using Aubrey Organics conditioner for DC's, but I also like Giovanni and Origins DC's as well).
-After I'm finished washing I give my hair a final rinse with a my Green tea and honey brew. Green tea promotes a healthy scalp and both honey and green tea contain antioxidants which are good for your hair. And honey is a natural humectant so it draws in moisture.
-I try to moisturize my hair everyday. On wash days I moisturize by taking my conditioner and applying it directly and undiluted to my strands (right now I'm using my Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner as a leave-in. Actually leaves my hair feeling silky :D). Then I seal with jojoba oil. When my hair starts to dry I apply shea butter to my ends (helps keep them hydrated) and then I apply a light layer of coconut oil for shine.
-For daily moisturization I pretty much just take a bit of conditioner, put it in my spray bottle, and mix it with distilled water and oil (usually a nice scented one ike sweet orange oil) and spray my hair with it to rehydrate it. Then I seal with jojoba oil and braid my hair in two or four braids for sleeping. I coat the ends of my braids with shea butter.
-Every night I massage my scalp with coconut oil.
-Sleep with a silk scarf every night.
-I only comb my hair on the days that I wash it when it's wet and my hair has conditioner in it with a wide-toothed comb.
-I also give my hair a hendigo treatment every two weeks to a month. I use henna that's mixed with indigo leaves so it preserves the dark color of my hair.

It sounds like a lot of stuff, but it's not really :grin:. If you want to see pictures of some of the products I use I have some pictures in my fotki :yep:. What's your reggie?

Last edited:
Wow!!!!

Your moisturizing technique has me piqued!

Mondays, I DC with AO Honeysuckle Rose condish under a plastic cap, covered with a Turbie Wrap for 45 minutes. Sometimes I follow up with a ACV/honey rinse and apply Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Phomollient, and FHI Hot Sauce.

Depending on how drenched I get during my workout, I'll do a co-wash or another DC either Wednesday or Thursday night. I also follow up with Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Phomollient, and FHI Hot Sauce.

Saturday, I'll pre-poo with Vatika oil and leave it on for at least a couple hours, then shampoo with Aveda Damage Remedy Shampoo and DC with the Aveda DR Treatment under a cap for 20 minutes, followed by Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Phomollient, and FHI Hot Sauce.

Every night, I apply Family Dollar MN to my 2 inch area of traction alopecia on top of my head and near my temples. That's growing my hair back quick, so my dermatologist says. I use the NTM (now Giovanni Direct) and seal with castor oil.

I clarify with Suave Daily Clarifying Poo once a month.
One week before I do a color or relaxer, I do a hard protein, like the Apogee 2-Step.

When I do remember, I use the Apogee 2 min reconstructor on dry hair on my Wednesday or Thursday DC day.

After my color, I add a cellophane to protect my hair and give sheen.

Wow!!!!

Your moisturizing technique has me piqued!

Mondays, I DC with AO Honeysuckle Rose condish under a plastic cap, covered with a Turbie Wrap for 45 minutes. Sometimes I follow up with a ACV/honey rinse and apply Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Phomollient, and FHI Hot Sauce.

Depending on how drenched I get during my workout, I'll do a co-wash or another DC either Wednesday or Thursday night. I also follow up with Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Phomollient, and FHI Hot Sauce.

Saturday, I'll pre-poo with Vatika oil and leave it on for at least a couple hours, then shampoo with Aveda Damage Remedy Shampoo and DC with the Aveda DR Treatment under a cap for 20 minutes, followed by Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Phomollient, and FHI Hot Sauce.

Every night, I apply Family Dollar MN to my 2 inch area of traction alopecia on top of my head and near my temples. That's growing my hair back quick, so my dermatologist says. I use the NTM (now Giovanni Direct) and seal with castor oil.

I clarify with Suave Daily Clarifying Poo once a month.
One week before I do a color or relaxer, I do a hard protein, like the Apogee 2-Step.

When I do remember, I use the Apogee 2 min reconstructor on dry hair on my Wednesday or Thursday DC day.

After my color, I add a cellophane to protect my hair and give sheen.

Our reggie's are kind of similar :). I forgot to mention that on my second wash day (my main wash day is Thursday when I give my hair the works, but my secondary wash day is usually Monday) I prepoo with an infusion of vatika oil, neem oil, and olive oil (I use the olive oil as a carrier oil so that my neem oil will last). That kind of serves as my oil treatment. And after I relax I also use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor (the old formula because I bought, like, 5 bottles of that stuff when I heard they were changing the formula. I hate formula changes). I have two questions: what kind of castor oil do ou use and how do you use cellophane? Is it something that provides a protective layer to the hair?

PS. When I DC I also use heat. I usually DC for an hour but I only leave the heat cap on for thirty minutes.

And after I relax I also use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor (the old formula because I bought, like, 5 bottles of that stuff when I heard they were changing the formula. I hate formula changes).

They changed the formula???? Damn. I'll stop by Sally's later in the week and see if I can get another bottle.

I have two questions: what kind of castor oil do ou use and how do you use cellophane? Is it something that provides a protective layer to the hair?

I use the regular castor oil I bought from the local Indo-Pak grocer. I'm going to order the Jamaican Black Castor Oil this week, too! Gotta step up my sealing game because it's getting cold and I'm outside a lot!

I apply cellophane/rinse as a protective coating over my hair strands, much like using polyurethane over a stained wood floor or a top coat over fresh polish to give shine and protection. Also cellophanes have protein in it, which relaxed and/or colored hair desperately need. It also thickens my strands.

I learned this info from Tracy, an old-school LHCF-er; she gave a bootcamp for double-processed ladies (I got this bookmarked):

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=26204&highlight=moisturizing+conditioners

When I DC I also use heat. I usually DC for an hour but I only leave the heat cap on for thirty minutes.

I love heat DCs! But, according to Tracy's thread, heat tends to fade color. :(

They changed the formula???? Damn. I'll stop by Sally's later in the week and see if I can get another bottle.

I use the regular castor oil I bought from the local Indo-Pak grocer. I'm going to order the Jamaican Black Castor Oil this week, too! Gotta step up my sealing game because it's getting cold and I'm outside a lot!

I apply cellophane/rinse as a protective coating over my hair strands, much like using polyurethane over a stained wood floor or a top coat over fresh polish to give shine and protection. Also cellophanes have protein in it, which relaxed and/or colored hair desperately need. It also thickens my strands.

I learned this info from Tracy, an old-school LHCF-er; she gave a bootcamp for double-processed ladies (I got this bookmarked):

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=26204&highlight=moisturizing+conditioners

I love heat DCs! But, according to Tracy's thread, heat tends to fade color. :(

Yeah, they changed the ingredients for Aphogee probably about six months ago. When I heard I made sure I stocked up on the older versions. The newer version of the two minute reconstructor contains mineral oil, and I avoid mineral oil and petroleum like the plague :nono:. You know, it's funny, before I met you I always thought of myself as having thicker hair, but now that I think about it my strands are pretty fine, I just have a lot of hair. I didn't know that heated DC's faded color. Maybe if you only use heat for about 5 minutes (just enough time to open up the cuticle) and DC the rest of the time without heat and do a cold water rinse (which seals the cuticle back, therefore releasing less color) you may be able to retain color a bit better :yep:. I've been interested in purchasing a thicker oil for DC use and for when it gets cold. I live in Florida and it doesn't get too cold (it can get down to about 40 in the middle of winter where I live) but that's still cold enough to be concerned :grin:. I'm kind of glad it's getting colder because now I can wear my hats.

Back