Neck Length To Shoulder Length Naturals.....

pookaloo83

Do you wash your hair out or in twists/braids? I want to wash my hair in twists or braids to avoid tangling, but they always unravel. Any tips? How do you wash your hair?

i used to wash it out, because i detangled afterwards, but now i pre-poo and detangle on dry hair in sections and twist each section up and then when i wash i take one section out at a time and wash it but then i leave it out until i apply my DC and then i twist it back up in bigger sections so that it doesnt tangle while i sleep b/c i usually DC overnight

eta: i only do this when im using shampoo 1x a week...throughout the week/every day in the shower i just cowash with my hair out

Last edited:
my hair is FNL stretched and I have been cowashing out but might try washing in the braids I plaited up last night, no use in over manipulation right? I'll let you know how it goes.

I do both. If my hair was in mini twists all week I will detangle and pre-poo. In this instance I will wash in twists, untwist and apply my DC individually then retwist and rinse in twists. If not I wash my hair out and then detangle and place in twist after I DC and rinse in twists. HTH

Thanks for the replies guys. :yep: Right now I just wash in 4 sections and do one section at a time. Just wanted to try something different.

Yes. I'm usually in cornrows and I wash, condition and DC in them. I just make sure to rinse thoroughly before and after applying the product.

When I'm not in cornrows, I wash in 8-10 single braids. If your hair unravels, make the braids smaller and that should do the trick. I don't take the braids down until they're almost dry. Then I moisturize and style.

I fingerdetangle only and haven't had any problems since I started washing in the braids.

I used to wash and detangle on loose hair when my hair was shorter, but I started noticing I wasn't detangling as well as I used to. Now, I put my hair in 10-15 twists to wash/condition/detangle, and no more issues! My fingers just glide through each section now :)

btw, I'm full SL/about 2" from APL *fingers crossed*

I pre-poo, wash loose (concentrating on my scalp), rinse, use my rattail comb and clips to divide the hair into 8-12 sections, then I detangle section by section. This works better for me and bad tangles are virtually non-existent. Then I just twist it up and air-dry.

Last edited:
I'm FNL, scraping SL, and I just... wash it. I rarely use shampoo so the below describes how I co-wash.

I keep my hair stretched at least 98% of the time, so it typically remains semi-stretched during the wash. I start by saturating my hair with conditioner, then I fully detangle my hair. Sometimes I'll even back comb it so that when I put my head over the sink to rinse the conditioner out, I can keep manipulation, (and tangles) at bay. I normally dry my hair in bantu knots.

I'm a bit past full sl, and what I do since my twists unravel also,is use those croc clips too. They do not move! So I twist and turn up and clip with the croc. Hair stays sectioned.

I would wash in big plaits that I'd undo and comb through then rebraid, one at a time, at every stage of the wash when my hair was that short--just as I'd do now.

I am still a bit confused on length terms at this stage. I am SL but my hair is about 1 inch past CBL if I bring the back layer around to the front... so :look:?? At any rate, for the past 10 months or so, I've been washing in sections.

I do everything in sections (5: 3 in the front, 2 in the back). This makes detangling a breeze and makes ssk’s virtually non-existent for me :yep:. In the same 5 sections, I prepoo, shampoo, deep condition, apply leave-in’s, detangle, and place hair in large twists to air dry.

While my hair is in sections, I clip my hair with crock clips from Sally's as someone else mentioned (these are great!) :yep: or I will loosely bun the sections.

1)Detangle first on dry, damp hair
2)twist hair up and secure ends with little kids scrunchies from BSS
3)Shampoo hair with diluted poo
4)take down each section and slather with conditioner
5)braid it back up
6)Let sit for 20-30 minutes then rinse

Back