Naturals with long hair

rsmith

I need some advice. My hair is currently armpit length and I am having problems with shedding since having my baby. Also, I need some advice on how to detangle my hair with out getting so much of shed hair. Can someone please help me. What products will help me? Also, I need a low maintenance style. I was doing good with the two strand twist, now I have single knot strands from having hair in twist so long. I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks

My baby is four months old. My shedding has stopped thank GOD. However, I just need to know how to rebuild it back. My hair seems intolerable at this length and I dont want to cut it. What can of low maintenance styles can I wear?

My baby is four months old. My shedding has stopped thank GOD. However, I just need to know how to rebuild it back. My hair seems intolerable at this length and I dont want to cut it. What can of low maintenance styles can I wear?

My hair is currently armpit length too. I haven't had any babies, but I have been taking the advice of keeping my hair in two-strand twists and staying away from the flat iron. When I wash my hair now, I put it in 4 sections and shampoo and detangle one section at a time. I used to just shampoo and detangle my hair altogether in one section. And to help rebuild your hair, try Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor. HTH!

My hair is currently armpit length too. I haven't had any babies, but I have been taking the advice of keeping my hair in two-strand twists and staying away from the flat iron. When I wash my hair now, I put it in 4 sections and shampoo and detangle one section at a time. I used to just shampoo and detangle my hair altogether in one section. And to help rebuild your hair, try Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor. HTH!

Do you have problems with single knot strands. What type of products are you using?

I have WL natural hair. I've tossed my combs and now only use the Tangle Teezer when I have conditioner on my hiair. I shed much less now.

I'm just about hip length and use my comb gently to detangle bottom up in sections. As for low maintenance styles my beloved bun is as low maintenance as you can get. you can get away with not doing much.
Like others said the shedding after baby is normal and your hair will grow back in. Being gentle with it and moisturizing is always helpful though.
I can't help on the singlestrandknots. If you'r still looking for detangling product I recomend cowboy magic (i think that's the name) that detangler is awesome!

Do you have problems with single knot strands. What type of products are you using?

I haven't had a huge problem with single strand knots. I think the ones I have come from improper detangling or excessive manipulation. Currently, I use Mane N Tail Shampoo, Aphogee Keratin 2 Min Reconstructor, Aussie Moist Conditioner, Mane N Tail Conditioner, Ultra Sheen Creme Pres, African Royale BRX Braid Spray, and Hot Six Oil.

Last edited:
rsmith, check out the thread kbragg started because a lot of new mothers chimed in and reassured her that the shedding does stop being crazy.

I think the important thing to note is if you do not remove shed hair, your hair will tangle something awful, so if the hair is shed, it needs to come out. Shedding more than usual even to the point of having bald spots is something people may see after a baby...so unless you actually stop the shedding internally, external methods methinks (like tossing the comb) are futile and only mean that shed hair will stay caught in your strands and you'll have an ever harder time.

Here's kbragg's thread, in case it helps: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=534885

@rsmith, check out the thread @kbragg started because a lot of new mothers chimed in and reassured her that the shedding does stop being crazy.

I think the important thing to note is if you do not remove shed hair, your hair will tangle something awful, so if the hair is shed, it needs to come out. Shedding more than usual even to the point of having bald spots is something people may see after a baby...so unless you actually stop the shedding internally, external methods methinks (like tossing the comb) are futile and only mean that shed hair will stay caught in your strands and you'll have an ever harder time.

Here's kbragg's thread, in case it helps: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=534885

you are right about getting those shed hairs out. I had my hair in twist for 3 weeks and did not know my hair was shedding. When I took it down, the shed hairs where wrapped around my good hairs and caused knots. Currently, I purchased the alter ego conditioner and Doo Grow Damage Conditioner and the shedding has minimized. Now, I just need to get my hair in better condition. I am now trying to find styles to hide my edges. Oh, I am also taking vitamins and fish oil.

rsmith, I didt know you'd had a baby, congrats! Mine is 5 months old and I just recently started having bad shedding. In fact, for awhile I'm going to do my hair once a week. I just spent hours yesterday trying to detangle and I had a TON of knots and tangles, I even had to cut a small section out because I couldn't get it untangled. I pulled out about three times as much shed hair as I usually do.

I don't use the Tangle Teezer, but my Denman gets the shed hair out pretty well. I'm also kind of afraid of the TT because of all the people who have been getting split ends from it, but I was this close to running out and getting one after the detangling session I had yesterday.

rsmith, I didt know you'd had a baby, congrats! Mine is 5 months old and I just recently started having bad shedding. In fact, for awhile I'm going to do my hair once a week. I just spent hours yesterday trying to detangle and I had a TON of knots and tangles, I even had to cut a small section out because I couldn't get it untangled. I pulled out about three times as much shed hair as I usually do.

I don't use the Tangle Teezer, but my Denman gets the shed hair out pretty well. I'm also kind of afraid of the TT because of all the people who have been getting split ends from it, but I was this close to running out and getting one after the detangling session I had yesterday.

Hey KCcurly; yeah I had a little girl. I had a difficult time so I did not talk about it much, But I thank God she is fine and not like the doctors expected her to be.

I understand about the detangling session. My detangling session was so bad. I am scared to put my hair back in twist. It took me two hours to detangle my hair. I was exhausted. So much hair came out, it was enough to make a small wig.

When women have babies, obviously they lose alot of blood in the process. With that blood goes a whole host of vitamins and minerals. As your body tries to recover from that loss, it makes sure that your major bodily functions are given the nutrients they need, first. Unfortunately, growing your hair is not a major function and you end up with lots of shedding. Also some women breast feed, so they lose vitamins and minerals that way.

As you replenish those stores that shedding should slow down. Do remember that it takes time for you to see this really start to affect your hair and the resolve itself. Be patient.

The most important thing you can do is to make sure you continue taking your vitamins everyday, drink lots of water and eat right. This is how you can have enough vitamins for the baby, your body and to keep from suffering from too much shedding.

Hope This Helped.

Shedding after having a baby is normal and very common. There are all kinds of reason why it may happen, estrogen levels, etc. I went through it with my first DS and anticipating it happening with my next in July. I agree with Nonie--unreleased/removed shed hair causes the most harm, almost more harm the the actual shedding itself. I know it's hard to watch (losing that much hair daily for however long it lasts), but for me it was best for me to wear my hair in a style that I could let the shed hair be released often so that it didn't create knots and tangles causing me to lose more than just the shed hair. I think a lot of women turn to low manip styles because they can't take seeing the hair being shed, but after they take down those styles they have so many knots and tangles they end up with bald spots, etc. and blame that on the shedding itself.

Anyway, when I was going through it, I was wearing buns and was co-washing every-other to every couple of days. Once it was over, my edges where noticeably thinner, but they filled back in fairly quickly after. Once it's over, THEN go to the low manipulation styles.

Shedding after having a baby is normal and very common. There are all kinds of reason why it may happen, estrogen levels, etc. I went through it with my first DS and anticipating it happening with my next in July. I agree with Nonie--unreleased/removed shed hair causes the most harm, almost more harm the the actual shedding itself. I know it's hard to watch (losing that much hair daily for however long it lasts), but for me it was best for me to wear my hair in a style that I could let the shed hair be released often so that it didn't create knots and tangles causing me to lose more than just the shed hair. I think a lot of women turn to low manip styles because they can't take seeing the hair being shed, but after they take down those styles they have so many knots and tangles they end up with bald spots, etc. and blame that on the shedding itself.

Anyway, when I was going through it, I was wearing buns and was co-washing every-other to every couple of days. Once it was over, my edges where noticeably thinner, but they filled back in fairly quickly after. Once it's over, THEN go to the low manipulation styles.

Thanks so much and congrats too you. I have been wearing my hair lose and detangling it every other day. I am washing it once a week now. I probably need to wash twice a week but it takes so long to wash my hair and baby demands soooo much attention. I am still trying to get a schedule and routine down. Did you you use any special products?

I think this is so true. I actually wanted to straighten a few weeks ago but I have been swimming frequently and did not want to straighten if I couldn't wear it for a few weeks. I definitely can not go on wearing the same style for 2-3 weeks as I have been because the shed hair is building up.

I will settle on redoing my twists every week and detangling well. Maybe after my triathlon next weekend I can take a break from swimming and straighten my hair for a bit.

Thanks so much and congrats too you. I have been wearing my hair lose and detangling it every other day. I am washing it once a week now. I probably need to wash twice a week but it takes so long to wash my hair and baby demands soooo much attention. I am still trying to get a schedule and routine down. Did you you use any special products?

I feel you, there is no way I can do my hair twice a week either. Once a week will have to suffice.

Back