Naturals who wear buns or ponytails

VeeJai

How do you avoid the hump of hair on your crown? My hair is very thick and I have a hard time getting my hair to go back as flatly and smoothly as possible. Any input would be welcome. Thanks

I smooth with water and a boar bristle brush and then tie with a scarf or bandanna for at least 45 minutes or until my hair is dry. this way I don't have to do super tight ponytails to get a slickbacked look

I make sure that I gently stretch the curls out as I'm pulling my hair back in the bun or ponytail. That way there is no hump. If you still want to slick it down even more, wrap with a scarf for awhile for a sleek look.

I usually put my hair up in a ponytail after washing it (brushing it wet with conditioner and Denman brush to smooth it). Then it's easier for me to pull my hair back and make it flat and smooth. If I let it dry or wear it down before attempting a ponytail then it won't lay as flat or smooth.

SEMO said:
I usually put my hair up in a ponytail after washing it (brushing it wet with conditioner and Denman brush to smooth it). Then it's easier for me to pull my hair back and make it flat and smooth. If I let it dry or wear it down before attempting a ponytail then it won't lay as flat or smooth.

This is what I do!! I also apply a scarf or bandana for a while to make it lay or smooth down!!! Its defintely easier to do when wet because you need less product.

i can't pull my hair back unless it's wet/damp. once my hair dries, the coil pattern sets... so if it's down, it sets as big and bushy. there's no taming that! :lol:

i will finger comb and gently smooth with a brush. also i prefer using knee-highs as my ponytail holder (less likely to break off hair).

Back