Naturals who use leave-in

jcanalena79

Why do you use it?

I tried something different last night and found out that less is really more for my hair. After cleansing and conditioning, all I did was put in my daughter's moisturizer (I'm getting it in bulk for both of us, lol - LUV that stuff!!!) which is very light and Miss Jessie's Buttercreme. That's it. I dreaded the morning. However, my hair is light and fluffy and moisturized and the curls are nice and defined (there's a little frizz, but not major). Even my very coarse, dry crown roots feel soft to the touch! I normally put in a leave-in AND curly meringue in addition to all the above and my hair would feel crunchy for the first day or two, which I hated. I was planning on buying a leave-in, but started to wonder, do I need one? I did a protein DC (which was rinsed out). I used moisturizer. So, what role does the leave-in play? Am I overlooking something? If I do need one, what kind do you recommend?

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

FYI: I have 3b/3c medium-coarse hair

I am natural too...and I also noticed that when I put so much product on my hair after washing it, I'm usually disappointed with how it air dries. One time, I think is was two weeks ago, I just washed and conditioned my hair in the shower... Then I airdried with just coconut oil on it. My hair was incredibly soft... without a leave in, or moisturizer, which reminds me that I need to do that again. I think we are just so accustomed to putting so much stuff on our hair because we think its going to protect it.... but yes it is true that less is so much more.

Kid's Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion
:lick: ... it really works VERY WELL as a detangler too.

I am natural, but it is sticky on my hair. My son loves it! Causes build up very quickly on my daughter so we don't use on her anymore, that's how my son got a hold of it....:yep:

It is a great product.

I use a leave in more when I'm in braids or a protective style. I find that my hair prefers less product. I do use Cantu Leave-In though after a wash which seems to hold moisture for me. Then I seal with coconut or castor oil and im done.
NB: I have heard good things about Kid's Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion - it will g on my list. Currently trying to finish what I have and I refuse to buy anything till then.

I am natural, but it is sticky on my hair. My son loves it! Causes build up very quickly on my daughter so we don't use on her anymore, that's how my son got a hold of it....:yep:

It is a great product.

I could see that it could cause buildup or be sticky ... to avoid that I don't use it on completely dry hair (either slightly damp on a reg night, or saturated after a wash) and I wash hers twice a week (once w/poo and once w/conditioner).

The use of a leave-in for me depends on what type of styling product I am using. If I use a creme (Curls Souffle) then no Leave-in is needed. If I use a gel (KCCC only gel I use) then I use a leave-in/conditioner. But, I don't typically use more than two products on my hair. Sometimes if I don't have enough shine then I will use a pomade.

I use it when wearing wash and go's because it provides moisture and helps abate frizziness...I use Mixed Chicks leave-in...

I use a leave in because i detangle my hair dry, and then PS.
The amount used depends on how the hair will be styled.
Since using this method i notice less breakage and knots and tangles.

Back