Naturals who STAY straightened? Why?

robot.

I've been wondering about this ever since I subscribed to this YT channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/chellywellzshop) by two beautiful young ladies with beautiful hair. They say they are natural, but in all of their videos, they always have their hair straightened. In another, they answered that they keep it like that for the most part.

But why?

I can think of a few answers myself, but I can't help but wonder about it. You have to fight humidity and reversion daily, the unnecessary heat and manipulation, and whatever else comes along with keeping straightened hair. Seems like a lot of trouble I'm not willing to go through, but maybe it's just easier for them this way...

Then I thought, why not get a relaxer, if you wear your hair straight 99% of the time? But they may not want to deal with the chemicals and breakage and having to learn their hair all over. Maybe it's just solely for styling/appearance.

Oh, well. :drunk:

For some it is a preference. In their opinion, it is a more healthier option than relaxing. There is a thread on it here, somewhere.

I kinda know what you mean...

But then i think about the several hours it takes me to twist my hair, or irritation of detangling after a wash and go, and its a little easier to understand.

And then i think about the single strand knots, and it makes absolutely perfect sense, lol...

IMO its like any naturally curly person just always wearing their hair straight and any naturally straight person trying normally to wear their hair curly... Yeah on the surface its kind of weird, but as products and tools get better (and people learn their hair more)the straight/curly thing is more a matter of personal preference than anything else, I think. Especially when people are increasingly wary of chemicals of all kinds. Yeah, it seems like a lot of trouble to me too, but i think there's something to be said for workin with what you got. (No offense meant to relaxed ladies. Or men.)

RedPanda, that's what I'm thinking too. If you can make it work without chemicals, why not? As people learn their hair more, the things they do to it really do become preference and solely for style. Why relax if you can keep it straight (and healthier) yourself? :yep:

Its easier for me to wear my hair straight...I have not mastered handling my hair when its not straight...all I do is wear it in a ponytail lol.

But I went natural because I wanted to be able to have the choice to wear my hair naturally or to straighten it. Plus I feel my hair would be healthier this way.
I will stop straightening my hair so much once it gets to like bsl. (hopefully by feb/march of next year)

Yeah they are both really cute and I heard one say that she is getting a weave because all of the heat is too much damage to her hair..... I think over time they may stear away from so much heat. I was also wondering why they dont just relax? But chemicals aren't for everyone... but at least one was using EVOO :)

I like to wear my hair straight most of the time because it cuts down on manipulation. When I was on a no-heat regimen, I did my hair once a week (sometimes more). That meant detangling, and braiding, or twisting. My ends were shot, and I had tons of single strand knots. I noticed that prior to starting my no-heat regimen that I retained more length when my hair was straight and had virtually no split ends. I can definitely attribute this to the fact that when my hair is straight, I manipulate it LESS. When my hair is in it's natural state, it is THICK, THICK, THICK, and I have to do a lot of manipulation on a daily/semi daily basis to get it looking presentable.

My hair does better with minimal manipulation, and with it straight, I don't have to really manipulate the hair until my next wash day. I typically wash every three weeks to a month.

Reversion isn't really a problem for me, even during the summer months. On the rare occasions my hair may get poofy, it is easily remedied by tying a scarf on my head (for some reasons it smoothes everything out, making it straight again) for a few hours.

I think for some folks straight hair might be easier to maintain versus naturally curly, kinky, thick hair. I know for me it is, I have virtually no tangles, don't have to spend hours twisting or braiding. If I do do any braidouts, or bantu knot outs, it is done on dry hair, which is how I prefer to do anything where i am pulling and tugging on the hair anyway.

A relaxer definitely wouldn't be an option for me, because it changes my hair texture. I had one ten years ago after coming out of a short hair cut, and I wanted to see if having a relaxer would ease my styling woes. It did, but my hair texture changed, I preferred the way my hair looked pressed vs. relaxed. My hair looks more silky, and bouncy when pressed, and looks drier and stiff when relaxed.

When I first started going natural I fully intended on wearing it straight. I was just done with relaxers. Sometimes people just want to be done with the chemicals but still enjoy that look. I was friendly with a girl for years and I didn't even know the child had been natural her whole life till she did a random wash and go one day. I say more power to them and what do they use to block humidity, lol

I've been wondering about this ever since I subscribed to this YT channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/chellywellzshop) by two beautiful young ladies with beautiful hair. They say they are natural, but in all of their videos, they always have their hair straightened. In another, they answered that they keep it like that for the most part.

But why?

I can think of a few answers myself, but I can't help but wonder about it. You have to fight humidity and reversion daily
Not if you live in a mostly dry environment like me and PinkSkates. I live in New York City where half the year is the winter or fall so when I was a mostly straightened natural my styles would stay fresh and cute. Also, when you straighten after a period of time your hair begins to get "heat trained" and it doesn't revert as easily as someone who straightens rarely.

the unnecessary heat and manipulation, and whatever else comes along with keeping straightened hair. Seems like a lot of trouble I'm not willing to go through, but maybe it's just easier for them this way...
It definitely is way easier....I also think being a straightened natural is like an inbetween step for some women who need some time to ease into wearing their hair out kinky.

I decided to do a long-term transition so i was accustomed to straightening with every wash....by the time my hair was fully kinky I had an enormous Diana Ross sized afro I didn't ease into it like people who started off with twa's and it took me a little bit to begin to feel comfortable wearing my hair out and embracing the statement it made and straightening during my transition served that purpose.

Also, you have ZERO issues with single strand knots when you straighten your natural hair or even partially straighten it by just blowing it out so that ease of styling is a big reason why many naturals straighten. It's also faster then doing other natural styles especially when your hair starts to get long.

Then I thought, why not get a relaxer, if you wear your hair straight 99% of the time? But they may not want to deal with the chemicals and breakage and having to learn their hair all over. Maybe it's just solely for styling/appearance.

Oh, well. :drunk:
At first for me I just wanted healthier hair that didn't break or get thin and lifeless and I knew my natural hair was thick and was just better then the results I was getting with my relaxed hair and I came to find that that was definitely true but it became like an evolution of the spirit for me as the relaxed ends fell away. In my experience, straightened natural hair is 1000x better then my relaxed hair, it had a weightless bounce to it, it held curls way better,(untill my next wash) it had incredible thickness, it was way stronger it got longer then I had ever had it.

So in the beginning it was purely about the health of my hair, but over time it began to mean so much more. My natural journey was similar to a spiritual awakening for me. Now, straightening is just one option out of many.

I'm one of those people. I wear my hair "natural" on random occasions but its usually straight. I prefer flat ironing to relaxers because my hair was never all that healthy when I had chemicals in it. I also felt chained to my stylist because I was afraid to touch it when it was time for a touch up. I wasn't on the forum back then so stretching relaxers wasn't part of my vocabulary. I'd probably have better results with a relaxer now but I'm comfortable with the routine and I've got a head full of healthy hair. :grin:

I'll admit that, at times, I think I might prefer my hair relaxed because the look is sleeker. My stylist can achieve the same results. Me, myself, and I... we're still working on it.
:look:

I'm not a straight natural. However, I can clearly think of why those people prefer heat (and rollersets etc) over relaxers. Ultimately, the relaxer is a chemical which has the ability to burn your scalp and weaken your strands. Also, maybe some people just aren't willing to deal with the maintenance and learning process that comes with a relaxer.

I think some women's natural hair can tolerate frequent heat if their reggie is on point. With that said, I notice a lot of straight naturals have "heat stretched" hair - I think for them they are fine with their hair being in that sate and don't consider that damaged hair. For my hair though, I would not be able to deal with it and would have to transition from it.

Last edited:
I'm not a straight natural. However, I can clearly think of why those people prefer heat (and rollersets etc) over relaxers. Ultimately, the relaxer is a chemical which has the ability to burn your scalp and weaken your strands. Also, maybe some people just aren't willing to deal with the maintenance and learning process that comes with a relaxer.

I think some women's natural hair can tolerate frequent heat if their reggie is on point. With that said, I notice a lot of straight naturals have "heat stretched" hair - I think for them they are fine with their hair being in that sate and don't consider that damaged hair. For my hair though, I would not be able to deal with it and would have to transition from it.

Exactly, becomes a relaxer is a chemical(permanent) and a flat iron is just heat(temporary)..flip a coin and see which one is ultimately damaging to your hair.
Its just like saying why put a rinse(or henna) on your hair when you can just put a permanent dye on it and have the color for much longer(and brighter) BECAUSE ultimately permanent dye can damage your hair after long time of use and it IS a chemical. I love my hair red and i need a permanent dye to get it that color BUT after a while it will damage my strands more & more, so now im trying to look for a good rinse:yep:

And if you do take care of your hair while using heat, it shouldnt become damaged..the same thing with a relaxer:yep: I want to start straightening my natural hair but i want to do it carefully and not frequently, i miss my straight strands but i would also miss my curly strands if it becomes damaged or permanently straightened!

I know in my mom's case, she can't use a relaxer. She is down right allergic to it, so she gets a rollset done every week. I guess it just for preference that people choose to be a straight natural, there is nothing wrong with it.

I prefer strait hair. I am now figuring that it can be done on my hair without chemicals.:yep: This is why I'm transitioning. Also, when it gets hot, then I will wear other protective styles. I hate having to wet my hair daily to style it.:rolleyes: It led to a ton of damage and detangling pain for me my previous journeys.

I was a heat-straightened natural in 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. I kept my hair straight in the winter and fall ..when spring and summer rolled around i would rock an afro puff...of course my puff eventually began to look like crap bc the years and frequency of pressing totally obliterated my hair texture.

Like another poster stated, the weather in NYC is conducive to long-lasting presses. Not to mention the pressing burns/damages your hair straight so reversion would not be so obvious. I would get my hair straightened once every two weeks and it would hold up for the entire two weeks until my next press...no reversion, sleek and smooth...looked like relaxed hair but more vibrant, shiny, and full.

I did it bc i was so used to seeing straight hair that i thought that was what i was supposed to do as a black girl...get it straightened.

Based on the comment of someone I know who straightens her hair with the flat iron and keeps it that way, it's because she want's straight hair and doesn't really like her natural texture. Her DH doesn't like her natural hair and when I talk of the side effects of Henna making the hair permanently straight she says she would love that side effect. The reason she doesn't chemically straighten is because she has a fine texture and it makes her hair break off.

My hair is straight about 70% of the time. There are two sections of my hair that are prone to single-strand knots. Using heat has eliminated that problem for me. Flatironing my hair takes 1.5 hours while twisting takes up to 6 hours and both styles last a week. I like my hair straight and natural. Relaxing is not a choice for me because it's not necessary and I like having the option of wearing natural styles and straight styles.

I haven't had any breakage or issues. I do have some heat damage but I don't really care as my hair still curls and I don't have straight pieces. My hair doesn't really revert easily either, usually I have to shampoo it for it to revert. (i guess because of the heat protectant) once it's shampooed, my curls and coils are back.

I was a straight natural for a chunk of my life. I kept it straight because I did not think my natural texture was okay to wear outside other than in cornrows or braids. I didn't know how to style it, either, because I didn't have anyone else around me who wore my hair type not straightened or bound styles.

I didn't have a relaxer because I didn't need one. I was in southern California and didn't have to fight reversion. Besides, if you press your hair enough, it will be "trained". My presses would last until I washed my hair. And my family overall doesn't trust the chemicals of relaxers.

Some people may not want the chemicals, but that doesn't mean they don't want straight hair. Some may have gone natural for the purpose of stronger hair. Relaxers compromise the health of the hair so to some people it may be better to be natural and just straighten.
Some people may have have wanted to color their hair and having a relaxer would mean double chemical process whereas bleaching natural hair is only one process and the hair can more likely withstand that process.
Some people may want the extra body/volume that comes with straightened non-relaxed hair.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned henna as a straighter. It DOES work to some extent, but takes along time to accomplish. Your hair will be straightER, but not straight, esp if you consider yourself a 4.

(don't add amla to your henna mixes tho. It counteracts the straightening effect)

I added a tablespoon of Henna to my amla mix and I got some loosening of my curls.

I was a straight natural for a chunk of my life. I kept it straight because I did not think my natural texture was okay to wear outside other than in cornrows or braids. I didn't know how to style it, either, because I didn't have anyone else around me who wore my hair type not straightened or bound styles.

I didn't have a relaxer because I didn't need one. I was in southern California and didn't have to fight reversion. Besides, if you press your hair enough, it will be "trained". My presses would last until I washed my hair. And my family overall doesn't trust the chemicals of relaxers.

Mwedzi, I'm glad you came in because I wanted to tell you that your twists are absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks for the link to that youtube channel. I just watched some of their videos and subscribed.

I'm transitioning and sometimes I flat iron. I use a heat protectant and keep the heat as low as possible so that I can prevent heat damage.

Back