Naturals who get weave/braids as a PS...Questions

htown2DAboot

I want to install a sew in or braids for my bday in a couple of weeks...but I don't want the braider or stylist to RIP OUT MY HAIR...I know I should at least straighten it a little before going...but i don't want to flat iron it...This is my first time putting any heat on my hair since like August 08...So how do I do it? Do I blow it out or what? and what's the true process?

I've never had to straighten my hair by flat ironing/pressing before getting it braided. The most I've ever done is blow dry it.

Now, I don't even have to do that. I just do a bunch of cornrows (kind of tight) on wet hair and let them dry overnight and that stretches it out enough for her to braid it up for the weave.

Have you ever gotten braids/weave before? If not I suggest you read lots of threads on it (Ediese has a good one). Anyway, some people are gentle and some people aren't. I let them know my expectations from the beginning and if they braid too tight then I don't let them continue.

Usually blow it out. I recently used the tension blow dry method and it worked well. (Another member made a video of it but I cannot recall who). Anyways you apply tension to each hair section then run the dryer over the "pulled" hair section. Less traumatic to your hair.

I'd say stretch as much as possible, use heat (lightly) if you feel the need.
Even after stretching my hair pretty well I've had braiders attempt to rip through my hair. I actually left an african braiding salon because she was being extra rough and then had the nerve to bust out a flat iron.

Do as much as possible to your own hair because some stylists act like they can not do a thing with your hair unless it is as straight as possible.

sorry to hijack the thread, but here's a question i have about this, cause i am planning on box braiding my own hair next week...when you wash your hair and it reverts, will the braids "fuzz up" cause your hair was stretched when it got braided???

I just got cornrows today and all I did after I rinsed my DC out was detangle and let it airdry. I don't have ALOT of shrinkage since I tried to do a texturizer in January which didn't take but even when I did have more shrinkage, I didn't have to blow dry. My hair was actually damp when she started today. lol

If you have alot of shrinkage then I'd suggest you do twists or big box braids to stretch it. Usually just detangling after a wash and allowing it to air dry should be it.

I want to install a sew in or braids for my bday in a couple of weeks...but I don't want the braider or stylist to RIP OUT MY HAIR...I know I should at least straighten it a little before going...but i don't want to flat iron it...This is my first time putting any heat on my hair since like August 08...So how do I do it? Do I blow it out or what? and what's the true process?

Great question. I wear wigs during my transition but want to braid with extensions which will be out on non-wig wearing weekends for the coming warmer weather.

In regards to natural hair fuzzing in braids, mine did. I'm hoping it doesn't happen now in cornrows. I was only able to have my box braids in for 2 weeks b/c of the fuzz. I don't have any suggestions for combating it :(

I get mine braided and I make sure that they don't rip at my hair. I yell "AW!" and then say I'm tenderheaded. If they comb all crazy I tell them that I am going to comb it because I'm tenderheaded and then I do. I NEVER let anyone rip away at my hair. They think I'm a diva, yes. But the result is my hair is past MBL on it's way to WL. Want to know something, before I had a problem w/ protein a couple years ago, my hair was already past MBL too and I had to cut it off to shoulder length to fix the damage. Well I got it to MBL last time too partially braided and partially straightened (flat ironed) the whole way. So I know how to make sure people don't damage my hair (too bad I listened to someone about a protein treatment and had to cut off that progress or else I'd be at my ideal length now. They always think I'm a diva and ask for me to let them know when I get there because they'll need extra time. I just smile and say okay and move on.

Back