Naturals, who color???

PhoenixRose360

My natural hair color is dark brown, and I'm thinking either going red or a light brown. For those of you who color, what do you use? Natural hair dyes, henna, or regular color? And which one would produce the best results?

Last edited:
I color. I use Aveda to cover my gray. I can't go lighter without using a different coloring system. I wanted to go light reddish brown, but they could only get me to a dark brown with reddish highlights with their Full Spectrum™ Protective Permanent Creme Hair Color.

I use dark and lovely's Chestnut Blonde/Brown (?)...I retouch the color 3 times a year (every 4 months).....Directly after I DC with Sebastian's Penetrait or Phyto Ultra Nourishing Condish....then I go back to my regular routine. I haven't had any problems thus far :look:

I like Texture n Tones. I never had a problem with hair dyes. If your hair is in good condition, and one takes care of their hair with regular deep conditioning, I don't foresee having any problems.

I use textures and tones also every six months then I henna over it to get a good red color.
Do you get a good lift with your color even after using henna? I would love to color and use henna... :scratchch but I thought henna would make my hair color resistant...

I love the way henna thickens my strands but I wish my hair was a little lighter to show the henna color more...

I use a temporary blue black rinse---Jazzings or something along those lines. I would like to try indigo/henna mix but I haven't had any problems with the rinses yet.

To add highlights I use a Cellophane by Wella. Since I use heat regularly, I stay away from stronger dyes with peroxide.
Here is a pic, if you look closely you can see the highlights.
094.jpg

To add highlights I use a Cellophane by Wella. Since I use heat regularly, I stay away from stronger dyes with peroxide.
Here is a pic, if you look closely you can see the highlights.
094.jpg

Pinkskates, what is cellophane? Can you buy it in a regular beauty store?

Do you get a good lift with your color even after using henna? I would love to color and use henna... :scratchch but I thought henna would make my hair color resistant...

I love the way henna thickens my strands but I wish my hair was a little lighter to show the henna color more...

I have to leave the color on for about 45-60 minutes for a good lift, the I dc and moisturize and seal. I wait about 5 days then henna and do a really good dc with molasses and coconut oil added to my conditoner. My hair turned out really nice.

Pinkskates, what is cellophane? Can you buy it in a regular beauty store?

It's a temporary vegetable dye that slowly fades out after each shampoo.
You can get them from your local beauty supply. And when you first apply it gives your hair incredible shine. In this picture the cellophane is about 3 months old.

I have to leave the color on for about 45-60 minutes for a good lift, the I dc and moisturize and seal. I wait about 5 days then henna and do a really good dc with molasses and coconut oil added to my conditoner. My hair turned out really nice.
I can see it came out nice, I love the way your curls are popping over there :yep:

I used to use a color called Luminize back in the day to get a color lift a shade or two so my Cellophanes would show up better. I wonder if there is an equivalent on the market today. :scratchch

I've used T&T and Dark & Lovely both in their "Honey Blond" or golden blond shades. It lifts my hair to auburn color. Never had any problems with damage.

Any naturals who use henna to color their hair?

I'm a henna user. Henna doesn't lighten the hair, so if you have dark brown or black hair, it will just give it a reddish or burgundy-ish "glow" in the light. I use the henna for the conditioning properties. It definitely makes the hair feel stronger, and for me, it makes my curls "clump" more.

I'm a henna user. Henna doesn't lighten the hair, so if you have dark brown or black hair, it will just give it a reddish or burgundy-ish "glow" in the light. I use the henna for the conditioning properties. It definitely makes the hair feel stronger, and for me, it makes my curls "clump" more.

Does henna always give that glow? Because Curlynikki uses henna too but her hair is just black.

No, if you read her site. You'll see that she says you can see the reddish glow in the light. It doesn't come across in her hair pics, tho...

my favorites are garnier and feria and i have been coloring for years with no problems. i have had every color that you can think of :grin:

I got my hair colored recently April 1st, but it was at vici cappilli salon and they used goldwell products my avator pic is from the day I got it done I have more in my fotki

my favorites are garnier and feria and i have been coloring for years with no problems. i have had every color that you can think of :grin:

I've used Feria in the past and really liked it, does it contain any harsh chemicals...I guess it does right?

Back