Naturals...Which rollers do you use

Mandy4610

Hey ladies, I am not a natural head, but i am seriously considering it. I am a little worried about how I would make my hair look good if it was natural. My question is, is it easy to rollerset natural hair? If so, what kind of rollers do you use?
I had natural hair when I was younger, but the rollers I used (in africa) do not exist here in Canada. Please tell me which rollers you use and how else you make your hair look nice. TIA

I use the hard plastic magnetic ones. But with the plastic cover. I've also used cold wave rods. I know some people use flexi rods.

Hey ladies, I am not a natural head, but i am seriously considering it. I am a little worried about how I would make my hair look good if it was natural. My question is, is it easy to rollerset natural hair? If so, what kind of rollers do you use?
I had natural hair when I was younger, but the rollers I used (in africa) do not exist here in Canada. Please tell me which rollers you use and how else you make your hair look nice. TIA

I have asked this question over and over...
Can someone PLEASE :grin:

I tried using the magnetics with covers when i was natural, but the natural tresses do not wrap around them as smoothly as the relaxed tresses. Please keep advising.:look:

I tried using the magnetics with covers when i was natural, but the natural tresses do not wrap around them as smoothly as the relaxed tresses. Please keep advising.:look:

Are you rolling wet hair with some type of leave in conditioner? You might have to do smaller sections. Here's a picture of my hair in rollers:

188991892997_0_0-vi.jpg

Are you rolling wet hair with some type of leave in conditioner? You might have to do smaller sections. Here's a picture of my hair in rollers:

188991892997_0_0-vi.jpg
Hey, thanks for this. How does your hair turn out after the rollersets. I am not natural, but I am thinking of transitioning. I am trying to find a way to transition without my hair falling out ( if it is possible). I have not made my decision yet.

Hey, thanks for this. How does your hair turn out after the rollersets. I am not natural, but I am thinking of transitioning. I am trying to find a way to transition without my hair falling out ( if it is possible). I have not made my decision yet.

There's pictures in my fotki. The trick is to get the hair smooth on the roller. I've found that it looks best if I leave it alone after I take the rollers out. I just separate the curls with my fingers a little bit.

I use the hard plastic ones that come w/ a clamp (I use the black ones) I tried using the ones that don't come w/ a clamp and my rollerset didn't come out so hot. I have a pic in my album of my last rollerset (under Fall 2007) and my rollerset came out great with those rollers that have the clamps.

I'm natural and I use the mesh rollers to rollerset my hair. It comes out really well. It does take practice. I'm getting my roots pretty straight but I usually have to lightly flatiron them.

I use the same rollers that I used when I was relaxed. If I could learn to get them tight like the Dominicans I would barely even need to use the flatiron. :ohwell:

I use the same rollers that I used when I was relaxed. If I could learn to get them tight like the Dominicans I would barely even need to use the flatiron. :ohwell:

IDK about that. They couldn't even get my natural hair to lay on the roller. :ohwell: I still have to flat iron afterwards so I just skip the rollersetting if I want it straight.

I'm natural and I use the mesh rollers to rollerset my hair. It comes out really well. It does take practice. I'm getting my roots pretty straight but I usually have to lightly flatiron them.
Ditto. I use end papers to smooth the ends onto the roller. Once you get the hang of it and put enough tension on the roots, they turn out straight too.

IDK about that. They couldn't even get my natural hair to lay on the roller. :ohwell: I still have to flat iron afterwards so I just skip the rollersetting if I want it straight.
It really depends on the texture. I can get flat iron straight results from roller setting.

Im about to ditch my flat iron.

It really depends on the texture. I can get flat iron straight results from roller setting.

Im about to ditch my flat iron.

I would agree. I also think it depends on the product used. I've been able to do it at home but I had to use a heavier product. Whatever they were using was too runny/thin. My hair was like :nono:. They blew it out and then flat ironed and it turned out nice. I prefer my regular stylist though. He blowdries with a paddle brush and then curls with a flat iron.

I use the magnetic rollers, perm rods, and flexi rods. I still have some relaxed ends, but I've been able to get good results with the new growth by making sure my hair is very wet and smooth on the roller. I mainly just use water on my hair and a little setting lotion (elasta qp) and castor oil.

I use the magnetic rollers with the clamps and roll mohawk style,but in addition to this I use bobby pins to help secure some from flopping. This helps my rollers stay tight. I tried a ponytail rollerset w/castor oil yesterday and it came out great- I'll post pictures as soon as I find my usb cable. I have yet to try mesh rollers, but I plan to.

kblc06 that rollerset is tight!!! I thought you had a relaxer for a minute. I use the flexi rods.

Do you experience breakage with mesh rollers?

Back