Naturals- Which do you prefer, Pressing or Blowout?

melodee

For those women who are natural and like to wear the hair straight--either occasionally or all the time, I have a question:

Which gives the best result, an old fashioned press and curl or a Dominican blowout?

Hi, Melodee, there is no Dominican hair stylist here!I've got my best result with a flat iron(I'm natural 4b)!

rollerset and flat iron.

I got a blow-out to get a trim a few weeks ago. While there aren't straight pieces, I noticed a little hair that didn't curl up as tight as it used to...and a couple of hairs with coily ends and straight middles.

Im about 70 % natural now so i can answer this lol, for me its the flat iron, trying to blow dry my hair is one big catastrophe of rough dry HUGE frizzy hair,, flat ironing is it.. but getting my hair blown out at the salon works too only i stopped that becuz its way too damaging,, its a stuff sharp brush RIPPING thru wet hair with heat, at least a flat iron has a smooth texture, its been almost a year since i stopped those weekly blowouts and i have a lot of hair to show for it, i say blowouts are too rough, permed or natural

Definititely, without a doubt, a good old fashion press in the salon. My old stylist in Boston is the BEST. I swear, every strand is silky straight without any grease.
Blowouts make my hair break and the heat feels like hell-fire.

For those that commented on this...If you enjoy the flat iron, do you actually get your hair blow dried first before the flat iron touches it???

I wish there was a way for me to avoid the blow dryer (4a/b natural with c-bone length hair). It is soooo drying and I notice that my hair is all over the floor after I blow it dry...even though I'm gentle!

I know a blow out is different from just blowing the hair dry. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan to start wearing my hair straight through the winter. I love my Sedu flat iron (although it's overused and time to get another). I just wish I could straighten my hair without so much heat.

Hugs,

Lana

I"ve never had a blowout before but based on what i've read here I will never have one! I don't really do the press thing either but I do flatiron which is just about the same. Flatironing is the way to go!!!!

lana said:
For those that commented on this...If you enjoy the flat iron, do you actually get your hair blow dried first before the flat iron touches it???

I wish there was a way for me to avoid the blow dryer (4a/b natural with c-bone length hair). It is soooo drying and I notice that my hair is all over the floor after I blow it dry...even though I'm gentle!

I know a blow out is different from just blowing the hair dry. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan to start wearing my hair straight through the winter. I love my Sedu flat iron (although it's overused and time to get another). I just wish I could straighten my hair without so much heat.

Hugs,

Lana

I have never flatironed on wet hair. I've seen some of those types that are for straightening wet hair or dry hair but I don't think I'll ever try that. I used to have the problem with hair all over the floor but ever since I went natural and even more so now that I have been co wasing 5-7 days a week when I do blowdry and flatiron I don't see lots of broken hairs anywhere. Cowashing is really keeping my hair conditioned. Also, I used to flatiron once a week, now I do it once every two weeks. I am trying to go to once a month. I am sure that will help me see less damage from the blowdryer and the flatiron (though at this point I don't really see much to be concerned about).

I can't get my hair straight with just a blowdryer. It comes out looking like this: Click Link

So if I'm going to go straight, I blow dry and then flat iron. I'd say I flat iron, probably 1 every 2 months - usually for special occassions (weddings) or events like interviews. And sometimes I don't - I'll rock it up, or curly.

But yea, blow drying to go straight doesn't work for me. And I've tried all the so called "straightening" products.

I bought a wet-dry flat iron and tried it.

They work well.

HOWEVER my hair felt hard and crunchy, dry and parched.

I gave it away. It straightens the hair, but it ruins it in the process.

I normally will wash my hair, smooth it out and braid it in about 6 braids and let dry overnight. I will then use the blow dryer in the morning to stretch out the undone braids and then flat iron.

Never used the pressing comb.

sunnygirl said:
I normally will wash my hair, smooth it out and braid it in about 6 braids and let dry overnight. I will then use the blow dryer in the morning to stretch out the undone braids and then flat iron.

Never used the pressing comb.

I do something similar, I comb my hair through, then let my hair dry in two twists (my hair is kinda thin :ohwell: ) to stretch the hair out and then I go straight to the flat iron.

I only flat iron once or twice a year though, too lazy :)

Well I never flat iron my hair while wet, I just can't bring myself to try that. I am just going to invest in a better blow dryer and attachment. I really can't see flat ironing my hair only once a month. The longest I can stretch is 2 weeks without washing. I prefer to wash every 3-5 days.

Right now I'm wearing a fall, but when I do decide to start wearing my hair straight again, I will try to straighten it only twice a month. I have retained a lot of length (I think) by keeping my hair moisturized and in a bun underneath my fall.

I will try air drying in several twists, but so far airdrying leaves my hair hard and crunchy and then I have flat ironed hard and crunchy hair that won't swing.

I wish there was a better solution.

Back