NATURALS: What's your main method of straightening?

Which is your method of straightening?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've heard of people either blowdrying, rollersetting, or airdrying before flat-ironing, and I'm just curious as to what the most popular method is. The poll also has an option for "other" if your particular method deviates from these three, or is a combination. This is mainly for naturals and transitioners to answer, as I'm sure due to the textures they would probably have different methods to relaxed heads (but correct me if I'm wrong here :look:).

Thank you for your participation :yep:

Last edited:
Since I use Vitapointe on my hair I normally just put that on and the put it back and wrap it up. Once it drys it is pretty much straight and then I hit it with the flat iron really quick and I am done without having to use that much heat.

I airdry in Curlformers to stretch my hair before flatironing. In the past I airdried in plaits. I don't blow dry because I try to limit my hair's exposure to heat to just the flat ironing.

I blow dry and then flat iron with heat protectant of course

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I put a combination of a leave-in co and a small amount of Alma oil, section off into 8-10 braids (4-5 on each side) and let it dry naturally. When I want it super straight after I take out the braids I blow dry and may do a single pass flat iron (If I use heat I use heat protectant beforehand)

I let my hair dry in 2 buns overnight, or even 2-3 days. Then I'll diffuse any part that's a still a little moist and flat iron. My hair is not a big fan of the blowdryer or the comb attachment. Also, as my hair gets longer, doing the whole process in one sitting is quite cumbersome.

I bantu knot, airdry overnight and then flatiron. I find it easier than rollersetting, and it gets my hair much smoother than blowdrying.

Air dry or bonnet dry in twists and then blow out each section on warm/ cool and then flat iron = no hair lost. Took me a while to figure that out :lol: but it works.

Tapatalk doesn't give me the option to vote but my answer is rollerset and flatiron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the look I'm going for. I rollerset and flat iron the roots most often but sometimes I blow dry and flat iron to get a really straight look.

Other.

I've done it all though; rollerset then flatiron, air dry til damp then blow dry then flatiron, air dry til damp then blow dry then hot comb, blow dry wet hair then hot comb but gotta say that I'm happiest and get the best results from either air drying til damp then blow dry or blow dry wet (not dripping) hair then hot comb.

Hot combing has made me very, very happy.

BTW, I do a heavy protein deep conditioning as a prep, use a blow dry heat protectant spray product, ultra sheen satin press then use an electric hot comb.

Last edited:
Prior to flat ironing my hair, I either ponytail roller set or blow dry (just depends on which I feel like doing).

I usually do one of those 3 but @ the salon they are able to just rollerset. So I will be trying (and perfecting) that in 2011

Back