Naturals-- What's Your Advice For Edges And Hair Oil?

WonderGirl2U

I'm natural and doing a wig challenge. I'm 4c and APL. I was wondering what I can do to get my edges (especially the front) as long as the rest of my hair. I'm thinking about braiding it. Any suggestions?

Also, I noticed many oils just sit on my hair- olive, coconut, and avocado. I'd like the oil to penetrate and soften my hair which these don't do. Any suggestions on a good penetrating oil?

Thanks!!!

It takes a long while for most oils to penetrate my hair. Like overnight. I don't know why.

I have found that one of the ONLY things to penetrate my hair quickly/easily -- besides water and aloe Vera juice -- is whipped shea butter.

I hate the smell, so I order a scented one from Jakeala on Etsy.com. It's her Shea Amla Parfait.

Hopefully others will reply soon with comments about oil. :smile:

The length of your edges is determined by DNA, and they tend to stay on the short side.

The most penetrating oil I have ever used is babassu oil, but my fave is castor. Oils tend to work better for me on wet hair versus dry. My hair hates olive, sesame, and coconut as well, almost hates avocado.

Warmed oil does work a lot better than oil straight out of the bottle on the hair in my opinion. I like castor oil, hempseed oil, almond oil, sunflower and safflower oils are all great choices as well plus the latter 2 oils offer some ceramide benefits, ie strength, to the hair. Hth!

It takes a long while for most oils to penetrate my hair. Like overnight. I don't know why.

I have found that one of the ONLY things to penetrate my hair quickly/easily -- besides water and aloe Vera juice -- is whipped shea butter.

I hate the smell, so I order a scented one from Jakeala on Etsy.com. It's her Shea Amla Parfait.

Hopefully others will reply soon with comments about oil. :smile:
I agree, the oil doesn't instantly absorb into my hair. It takes a few hours, but it's a noticeable difference after that.

Cornrow your edges...all the way around and keep them well moisturized...don't just braid and forget about them!
Oil on dry hair is pointless. Use oil (whichever you choose) on wet or damp hair to seal in whatever process you just did. LCO or LOC methods work for many people. I am a wash n go girl and LCOS works for me
L=water (from rinsing out my poo or condish)
O=Olive, coconut and castor or a mix of all three work well for me at different times of the year....it's not cold enough for castor for my hair yet!
C= my leave in conditioner. My current fave is ORS Naturals Ghee Butter
S= I pray to the Eco styler gods every 3 or 4 days!! My BFF is Eco Olive Oil...but I have back ups :)

Back