Naturals..what temp is your maxiglide?

Keedah

I know the highest the Maxiglide goes to is 430 on setting 10 but what are the other settings? I flat ironed my hair with it a few months ago on 6 and it did not stay at all. I did it the other day on 8 and it came out much better. Im using Sabino Moisture Block.

I just want to make sure its not TOO hot.

I do my hair on 1 and it stays just fine and gets almost bone straight. I don't know what the temps are but I wouldn't go higher than 6 because (and I'm not 100% sure about it) I've read in a couple of articles and forums that splits mid strand are caused by hair heating up and basically exploding. Like I said though I'm not 100% sure its accurate news but its enough to keep me cautious

http://nappyme.wordpress.com/hair-facts/heat-nappy-hairs-worse-enemy/

Bubble Hair
Processes like blow drying reduce the moisture content below its normal level and can in themselves be harmful. Hair dryers and other heated appliances first soften the keratin of the hair. If they are too hot, they can actually cause the water in the hair to boil, and tiny bubbles of steam then form inside the softened hair shaft. The hair is thereby weakened, and may break altogether. Invariably, bubble hair is caused by some kind of heating appliance, most often curling irons. These operate somewhere between 120 and 180 °C, roughly speaking. Water boils at 100 °C. If a hot curling iron is put on to wet hair, it boils the water inside the hair. The boiling water softens the keratin of the cortex; then the steam from the boiling water expands and forms tiny bubbles inside the hair. Eventually the hair breaks off, either at or somewhere near a bubble.

Last edited:
This is true. Everyone's hair is DIFFERENT!!!! Some people have tighter coils and curls, etc....

So - you will have to experiment.
I know my hair, and what it can take.

I used it on 4.5-5 and my hair a was a poofy mess. The girl at work said well at least it went back to nappy like you wanted it to. I said girl this is it straightened!

I haven't used it since and that was FEB.

I never go past setting 1 and sometimes I even cut the iron off to let it cool down (maybe I'm overly paranoid, lol), my hair gets bone straight though. I think the key to using a low heat setting is to pre-stretch the hair before straightening....braiding, banding, rollersetting, wrapping, etc.

I used it on 4.5-5 and my hair a was a poofy mess. The girl at work said well at least it went back to nappy like you wanted it to. I said girl this is it straightened!

I haven't used it since and that was FEB.

That is too funny :lachen:. Thats how my hair was about 2 hours after I did it on 6. I had the near to go on the boardwalk too where it was humid

You ladies using a 1 or 2 I know I cant do that. My hair is stretched first by drying in big braids. I think Ill keep it on a 7 or 8 and see how it goes. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Back