Naturals, what leave in conditioner and wash n go tips?

GeorginaSparks

What leave in conditioner are you guys using?

Also, im trying to find the right products for my wash n gos. I like the way it looks with my eco styler(protein, argan oil and blue one) but i dont like the crunchiness/crispyness i get from it.

Also can you post the method/tools and other tips to achieve an awesome wash n go. Pics are appreciated also.

I use giovanni direct leave-in because it's cheap and I can go heavy handed with it. Then I add lots of castor oil.

I use Vo5 moisture milks and castor oil for leave-ins.

Only bought eco styler for the first time 2 days ago, will try mahogany curls method.

Kinky Curly Knot Today with some kind of oil or butter to seal it in. Gives me awesome results. But ONLY if I seal afterwards. My hair morphs into some kind of rebellious bush baby if I don't seal in this cold weather.

I've also used a little bit of V05 moisture milks conditioner before. Ehh. I only use it if I'm in a hurry.

I have a TWA so I do wash and go's. But they don't involve gel or anything. I rake the KCKT in with my fingers or I detangle with my Denman D3

I just DC really well and use gel. I found that leave ins keep me from getting any curl definition and is too heavy for my fine strands. Once my hair is mostly dry, I'll then add some oil to hair and scalp.

I beat my crunchiness with a moisturizer underneath. I used Lustrasilk's Curl Max moisturizer before I add my gel. Touchable soft hair for the first time in my natural journey! Also, I can get multiple day hair easier with very little water. I tried the Curl Max alone and it did not work. With gel, it worked great! Now my Eco gel is acting like my KCCC! That stuff is liquid gold. I don't know if all moisturizers work like this did, but I got it at Walmart for 4 dollars. I now can make it thru the winter without worrying about wet hair.

This was done with Tresemme Naturals conditioner and Garnier Fructis Pure Clean gel. This was me on Thanxgiving actually.

ForumRunner_20121125_165912.jpg

ForumRunner_20121125_165925.jpg

Sent from my Teleportation Device

bumping for more replies. im taking down notes. I had packed my KCKT into a box of products to take to my co-worker tomorrow and removed it.

I use whatever my conditioner of the moment is. This week it's Wen Sweet Almond Mint. In the past its been Trader Joes Nurish Spa, Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner, GVP Paul Mitchell The Detangler - pretty much whatever's on hand. I leave a little in in the shower then I have a small spray bottle that I fill 1/4 with conditioner and 3/4 water. I spray my hair as I comb it, then seal with coconut oil.

I make my own leave-in of crisco, aloe vera gel, castor oil, and grapeseed oil. No gel makes my hair hard anymore after using that. Castor oil, crisco, shea butter, or any heavier oil or butter should eliminate most of that crunchy feeling. Some ppl also use curl activator gel underneath gels with firm hold to reduce crunch.

I style with flaxseed gel or Eco Styler. After I apply my leave-in, I smooth the gel onto sections from the root down, then I hold the ends of the section and shake the section in a rippling motion, back & forth.

Results:

10-20-wng3.jpg

10-20-wng5.jpg

I make my own leave-in of crisco, aloe vera gel, castor oil, and grapeseed oil. No gel makes my hair hard anymore after using that. Castor oil, crisco, shea butter, or any heavier oil or butter should eliminate most of that crunchy feeling. Some ppl also use curl activator gel underneath gels with firm hold to reduce crunch.

I style with flaxseed gel or Eco Styler. After I apply my leave-in, I smooth the gel onto sections from the root down, then I hold the ends of the section and shake the section in a rippling motion, back & forth.

Results:
flaxseed gel like the supplement? where do i find it? i really appreciate all the replies ladies. today, i used kckt and castor oil underneath the blue eco styler and its not as crunchy.

My holy grail leave-in is the As I Am leave-in. It detangles my hair like a dream and I can use it to moisturize wet or dry hair (I've never had another leave that worked on my hair when dry). I like it better than KCKT.

any leave in (HV red tea or HQS greaseless moisture) work best for me.
I actually allow my hair to dry fully, then add an aloevera based, alcohol free gel (its something I get locally in Jamaica and I doubt its available in the states - anyhoo its called soft n silky gel)

what I have used which is the closest to it is aloe thix from lotioncrafters

basically I shingle the product through my hair similarly to mahoganycurls method taking small pieces and smoothing the product through then twirling at the end.

takes about 30 minutes and lasts the whole week - i refresh with KC sprirl spritz

shingledresized.jpg

only thing is my hair shrinks up to nothing ... at this rate I will need to be wedding dress train length before i see some hang time :lachen:

shockolate said:
flaxseed gel like the supplement? where do i find it? i really appreciate all the replies ladies. today, i used kckt and castor oil underneath the blue eco styler and its not as crunchy.

You can make flax seed gel (all natural gel alternative) by boiling flax seeds (brown or golden) then straining the gel from the seeds. You can add oils or whatever you like to it.
HeyFranHey and Naptural85 have YouTube vids on it.
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/aWaH8GIbLrM

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/pb8AsasphZA

I use Tresemme naturals condi for cowashing and as leave in.
Definitely check out the curly girl thread, totally helped with my curl definition

I like crispy, crunchy hair...I feel like I'm the only one. I blame the mira-mira's I grew up with. :look:

For softer holds, I use Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk or Curl Enhancing Smoothie or Crisco :blush: under eco-styler.

My flaxseed gel recipe is 1/4 cup flaxseeds, 2 cups of water, 1tsp honey, 1 tsp grapeseed oil. I microwave the flaxseeds and water for 8 min then strain with a mesh strainer. I use a spoon to press out the excess gel from the seeds while they are in the strainer, then I add the honey and grapeseed oil. I store it in the fridge up to 3 weeks. I get about 1.5 cups of gel and it's a nice thickish consistency.

BraunSugar said:
My flaxseed gel recipe is 1/4 cup flaxseeds, 2 cups of water, 1tsp honey, 1 tsp grapeseed oil. I microwave the flaxseeds and water for 8 min then strain with a mesh strainer. I use a spoon to press out the excess gel from the seeds while they are in the strainer, then I add the honey and grapeseed oil. I store it in the fridge up to 3 weeks. I get about 1.5 cups of gel and it's a nice thickish consistency.

Never thought of microwaving the seeds before!

only thing is my hair shrinks up to nothing ... at this rate I will need to be wedding dress train length before i see some hang time :lachen:

I had the same problem. Then I started doing what miss jessie's recommends which is to add moisturizing products to next day wash n gos. I use hydrating conditioners or world of curls. It gives me fluff, moisture and more hang time moreso than any other product I've tried.

Last edited:
Tresemme Naturals Conditioner or
Yes to Carrots Leave in and
Grape seed oil to seal.

That's if I do a WnG without gel.

BraunSugar said:

Results:

BraunSugar So pretty! Can you come do my hair? :lol:

The only product that consistently works for my hair is queen helene's royal curl. It's so moisturizing that I don't need a leave in.

I use a little bit of silicone serum with it in humid weather.

I don't really do wash & go's but I have been a faithful kimmay tube leave in type of chick
2 tablespoons of kinky curly knot today, 2 table spoons of aloe vera juice, 2 teaspoons of jojoba oil, and 2 teaspoons of castor oil

So this is week 3 of me using darcys botanicals leave in and I really like it. Its leaves my hair really soft,detangles well and smells great. I use this with Herbal essences Set me up gel. I can get 4th and 5th day hair by showering with out a cap and applying the leave in to damp hair. It reactivates my curls well :yep:

Back