Naturals what is your regimine?

daisy

Hello
I am new to this board and a few others. I have been completely natural for almost a year and I can not seem to find a program that works for my hair. I have also visited Naturally Curly.com but most of the members there have loosley curled hair and I dont. My hair is very very nappy and coarse. I would love to wash and go but cant seem to find the right products. so I have been just braiding, twisting and flat twisting my hair once a week after I wash and condition.
I have tried to press but that doesnt work at all. I once left the hot comb on the stove for too long and I burnt piece of my hair off, so that is out.

So if you can share with me what you do to your hair you will help me get some ideas of what to do with this brillo pad on my hair.
Thanks
Daisy

Have you tried http://www.nappturality.com There are a lot of members with various hair textures. You can also receive a lot of natural hair care tips there. Make sure to vist the Women On the Web WOW section, It's an online member journal with pictures of their personal transitioning journies.

Hope that helps!

Sindeee

hi daisy welcome to the board. my regiemn isn't really good cuz i don't follow it. i think i need to write it down and hold myself to it. but what i do right now ( with braids) is oil my scalp every few days with olive oil and wash my scalp with herbal essence, mousiture balencing shampoo, and use african pride braid spray and lusters pink gel to hold down all this frizz i got. but that's cools cuz i'm gettin these re done ne way
smile.gif
when i have my hair in a fro i conditioner wash daily to every two days with suave herbalcare and put right on curl or humetress in my hair and go.
good luck giving up the hot comb. i swear i should be bald cuz of that thing but i am feenin' for it right now !

btw sindee you are a nut for having spongebob in your signature!!

[ QUOTE ]
btw sindee you are a nut for having spongebob in your signature!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I'm a lil nutty! My 3 year old niece got me hooked on SpongeBob & now I'm a BIG fan. I never knew that cartoon was so funny!

Sindeee

Brief thread hijack...

I have some Spongebob pj's and a couple of T-shirts! I love that show. I think my favorite eps are the one where his breath stinks and the one where he kept missing the bus back to Bikini Bottom.
laugh.gif
rofl.gif
laugh.gif

Since I usually wear braids with human hair, my regime is this: apply leave-in conditioner (either Infusium 23 for damaged/unmanageable hair or Daily Doctor by African Pride) to my real hair within the braids. I alternate by using some kind of astrigent to clean my scalp or a moisturizing shampoo (Breakthru or Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap). I don't like to use a real conditioner b/c that can mess up your braids and it doesn't penetrate all the way. I tie my hair up everynight and try to sleep on on a satin pillowcase as well. In addition to taking care of my hair on the outside, I try to stay healthy on the INSIDE as well. This is really important as well. I drink a lot of water (8 glasses is essential), eat lots of fruits and veggies and exercise 6 days a week. I take GNC's Ultranourishair as of now and I may use more vitamins as well. You have to play around with vitamins to see which ones work with you, but be careful! Hope this helps!
rosebud.gif
rosebud.gif

I shampoo lightly Mon, Wed and Sat after aerobic class. I rinse Friday and when my hair feels dry with distilled water. In the summer I rinse more often.
I follow my Saturday shampoo with an acv rinse before I condition.
I follow this with a cool rinse of distilled water(my final rinse is always distilled water).
I don't towel dry ever.
I then use a heavy leave in which is a 1/2 teaspoon of my pomade zapped in the microwave mixed with Pantene Pro-V Smooth & Sleek and PM Supercharged. I follow this with CD Healthy Hair Butter and Sebastion Wet then make 5-6 coils(with my fingers). I take an old tee shirt and firmly squeeze the excess moisture out of each coil and dry overnight. In the morning I seperate the still coils (maybe add a little more 'Wet' and let it finish drying on the way to work. Then I usually wear it in a loose ponytail(my own handmade silk scrunchies) or the sides pulled back with some Good Hair Day pins.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello
I am new to this board and a few others. I have been completely natural for almost a year and I can not seem to find a program that works for my hair. I have also visited Naturally Curly.com but most of the members there have loosley curled hair and I dont. My hair is very very nappy and coarse. I would love to wash and go but cant seem to find the right products. so I have been just braiding, twisting and flat twisting my hair once a week after I wash and condition.
I have tried to press but that doesnt work at all. I once left the hot comb on the stove for too long and I burnt piece of my hair off, so that is out.

So if you can share with me what you do to your hair you will help me get some ideas of what to do with this brillo pad on my hair.
Thanks
Daisy

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Hey daisy!
wave.gif
My routine is pretty simple: Wash (no-poo) &amp; deep condition every 1-2 weeks; wear twists/cornrows for 1-2 weeks moisturizing daily with Aussi Moist Leave=In conditioner and African gold Braid SHeen spray conditioner; twisout/cornrow out for 2-4 days. I try to keep my hair contained as much as possible, with little manipulation to minimize breakage etc..

I also take vits. My question to you: how long is your hair? What's ur hair type? Not everyone can "shake-an-go" lol. I know I can't
rofl.gif
. But there are sooo many other options out there. Tell us a lil more abt ur hair.</font>

Hello Daisy,

Like most of the women here, my routine is pretty simple:
Weekly I...

1. Shampoo with Creme of Nature's extra moisturizing formula.
2. Deep condition with LeKair Cholestoral.
3. Spray Infusium 23's leave in for damaged hair.
4. Oil scalp with olive oil.
5. Apply kemi oyl's shea butter pomade to my ends, and I twist my hair.

I believe that you have to clarify and strengthen the hair. So, monthly I...

1. Clarify my hair with a solution of apple cider vinger and water. Clarifing shampoos are too harsh for me.
2. Give my hair a protein treatment. This works great for the days that I clarify. All the gunk is off my hair strand, which gives the protein a chance to do its job. I follow this treatment with a good moisturizing conditoner.

That's all I do. I never wear my hair down or manipulate my hair. This cuts down on shedding and host of other things. I got a goal I'm trying to reach
grin.gif

clap.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif

hi Daisy
wave.gif
Well i'm transitioning right(about a year)This is my routine
Rinse every two days i rinse and condition with Sauve Naturals Conditioner in Tropical Coconut/Vanilla
Use Allways Instant Oil Moisturizer, Infusium 23 leave-in, and African Royale Braid Spray on wet hair and braid
When i shampoo which is every week i use Creme of Nature Moisturizing shampoo
I deep condition with LeKair Cholesterol/Herbal Essence Conditioning Balm(smells soooooooooooooooooo good)
I do hot oil treatment about once a month with warmed olive oil....(i put a shower cap on, and wrap my head with a hot towel which i heat in the microwave.
my usual style is a curly puff
I agree with Kengne not every one can wear a wash-n-go accept your hair as it is.....you can try a braid out and finger style it into big soft fluffy fro
cool.gif

for your "brillo hair" try a hot oil treatment......natural hair is not suppose to feel hard, its suppose to fell soft and touchable..i hope this helps

Hi, daisy. Natural hair is great, so please don't sound discouraged. I usually wear my hair one of three ways:
1. Wash n' go, which for me = a tightly curled 'fro
- Conditioner only wash every day or every other day using a good smelling VO5 or Suave condit, followed up with a glob of stronger, moisturizing conditioner as a leave in (i.e. Motions Moisture plus) with S Curl and Fantasia Hair polisher
- Wash with shampoo (almost always Cream of Nature) once a week, plus deep conditioner

2. Press
- I used to press my own hair, but that leaves too much of a margin of error for me (especially in the back of my head)
- My stylist washes, conditions, puts me under the dryer for about 20 minutes on cool, blows my hair out, and then flat irons with a little oil = this makes my hair come out very bouncy and healthy looking
- Sometimes I go to the Dominican salon, which is cheaper than my stylist. They do the same thing except they blow my hair on high heat while it's still competely wet.
- For maintenance, I oil my ends every other night and always tie up.

3. Twists or Twists Out
- Wash with CON, deep condition
- Use Motions Nourish leave-in
- Twist my hair with Nasabb shea butter
- Sleep with satin bonnet
- This style is the easiest for me because I don't have to touch my hair for a couple days (I leave twists in for at least 1 week and rock the twists out for at least 3 days)

Oh yeah, and I take the following vits:
- Multi
- Biotin
- B-Complex
- MSM

Hope this helps! And the most important advice I could give would be to always use a wide tooth comb and only comb when hair is wet (preferably with conditioner) from the ends up.

I feel you on the Brillo pad thing. My "coils" are very tight. The key to getting rid of the Brillo pad feeling is condition, condition, condition. I wear braids most of the time (just got some sew in weave, but thats another thread). When I take the braids out, I slather on a conditioner and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour (yes, before washing). Then I rinse and shampoo with Creme of Nature (if you don't have this, GET SOME). Then I use a lighter conditioner (today I used Suave intensive, very nice) and do a combout with a shower comb.

In braids, I moisturize with S-Curl. This was key to getting rid of the brillo pad feel and controlling shedding and breaking after taking the braids out.

For the last 2 weeks, I wore a headband wigh with microbraids in a layered style. This thing was too cute! For 2 weeks, I wore my hair plaited and moisturized underneath. It was great.

Hope you find something that works for you soon.

hi, im natural an i think ive finally come across a routine that works for me. Here are some tips

1. rinsing with cheap conditioner (V05 strawberries and creme or suave aloe and vit E) daily or every other day. keeps hair soft and moisturized

2. use Cream of nature shampoo ultra moisturizing detangling shampoo on wash days. follow with a cholesterol product or any thick creamy conditioner and detangle while conditioner is in hair and rinse. Add your favorite leave in i personally like fantasia ic leave in moisturizer with aloe vera complex. African royale daily doctor is good too

3. keep hair moisturized daily. some of my favorites right now are
-allways natural hair lotion
-hollywood beauty olive oil cream
-also curl activators are great such as s-curl or carefree curl gold for moisture, softness, and helping to define coils

4. ONLY STYLE HAIR WHEN DAMP!- dont ever try to comb or style natural hair dry cause all you will do is snap and break hair. if you dont feel like wetting your head in the shower beforehand keep an old spray bottle with water to mist your head before attempting to style

5. although im 4a/b and i find that if you skip the towel drying and add styling products while hair is soaking wet helps in curl definition. let air dry. i believe wash and go hair is possible for any hair type.

6. use a good gel for hold like fantasia hair polisher styling gel with sparkle lights. when applied to damp hiar it gives a nice soft hold and doesnt flake or leave hair stiff.

7. for pressing i prefer a flat iron instead. less breakage.after washing use a little creme press on damp hair, blow dry straight with pick attachment and flat iron. dont do too often.

i hope my suggestions are helpful. like someone mentioned before check out nappturality.com board which is great resource for natural heads. There is just so much info there and definitely make sure to check out the WOW section.

<font color="purple">
Hi Daisy,
wave.gif

I wash my hair everyday with creme of nature,softwash baby shampoo,elasta qp shampoo for relaxed hair, or keracare shampoo for dry and itchy scalp.
I always follow up with a good conditioner, either pantene deep fortifying treatment,pantene relaxed and natural,lustrasilk cholesterol super detaingling formula, or pantene deep moisturizing treatment.
</font>
<font color="blue">
Once a week I deep condition with keracre dry and itchy scalp conditioner for 20 minutes with a shower cap (no heat). Once a month I condition with Aubrey GPB for 10 minutes. Afterwards I condition with a moisturizing conditioner.
</font>
<font color="green">
After my shower when my hair is still soaking wet I add a small amount of condtioner to my hair or I saturate my hair with s-curl and then add john frieda sun protection oil to my hair.
My main hairstyles are the shake-n-go w/ or w/o a headband or a curly low puff.
At night I put my hair in a ponytail and cover the ponytail with silk and wear a headband around my hairline.
</font>
That's it...hth
smile.gif

Hi Daisy--
I second the nappturality.com recommendation. Highly! The women there want to live chemical-free, including no texturizing, just 100% naturally textured. I go there frequently.

Anyway, my regiman is this:

Usually, I wear my hair in twists, braids or buns--as many protective styles as possible. I like Carol's Daughter products since they're all natural. I shampoo once or twice a week with a moisturizing shampoo (Creme of Nature, Redken's Fresh Curls, etc.), follow with a good conditioner (Kenra or Redken) &amp; apply products &amp; let my hair airdry. I use heat very rarely. After that, I style. I deep-condition once a month or so (ORS Hair Mayo) by putting the cond. on my hair, followed by a plastic cap &amp; just sitting around like that for a few hours.
The key things I've learned, though, are protective styling &amp; as little heat as possible.

Thank you all so very much for all the great tips and advice.
My hair is about 10 inches maybe 8 in some sections and it is definitly 4a hair.
I will try some of the suggestions and report back with my results
again many thanks
Daisy

I am very new at being natural, so I am still trying to find out what is best for me. I am currently alternating products right now. So here it goes

For a wash-n-go
Conditioner wash with Daily Defense Tender Apple
Spray hair with Wonder Gro Shea Butter Oil
Apply Fantasia IC Polisher Gel all over
Let Air Dry

For Twists
I do the same except I wash with shampoo, then use the conditioner.
I then airdry in a ponytail for one day.
Then I start twisting my hair with either Profectiv Healthy Ends or Black and Sassy Creamy Sets

For Straight Hair
I Wash with shampoo, then deep condition with cholesterol, then I use the Daily Defense conditioner.
I then spray my hair with a leave-in conditioner.
I part my hair into sections, apply setting lotion and then roll.
After my hair is dry, I take my ceramic flat iron and run in down each curl.
Wrap nightly to maintain style.

Washing daily worked wonders for my hair.

Every morning:
1. Brush hair
2. Use scalp oil and massage
3. Horn comb
4. A little more oil for sensitive areas
5. Horn comb again
6. Cooling spray (kind of a sea breezy-feeling type spray)
7. Shampoo
8. Cond.ends up (I deep cond. once a week but for 2 days in a row w/plastic then foil under a big warm towel)
9. Comb thru under shower as I'm rinsing
10. Detangle and smoothe
11. Apply leave-in.

Every night
1. Brush
2. Overnight condition my ends and delicate edges
3. Braid or twist to one side

So you brush and comb your hair everyday? I've heard many naturals say that it is too much manipulation. Have you gotten any extra breakage from this? What is your hair type? Sorry for all the questions
smile.gif
TIA!

Yes I do brush and comb every day. I tangle and mat like crazy if I don't. As for breakage, nope! I wash every day and I MIGHT lose 2-3 strands but that's it. No hair in the brush either. So that was good news.

My hair type? I would very much a 3C in the crown/top
grin.gif
and a 3B in back. My edges, above my ear, and at the nape I'm more wavy, but I call it a 2C at best. Short answer, I'm very much a 3.

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I think my favorite eps are the one where his breath stinks and the one where he kept missing the bus back to Bikini Bottom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially the bikini bottom bus one!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back