Naturals: What hairstyle works best for you

SweetNic_JA

It's BC fever over on LHCF and practically EVERYWHERE. I've been relaxer free since July of 2004 and I plan to transition for another year before I start wearing my hair out. In the mean time, I'm planning on the style(s) I will wear. I know of one that I can definitely wear and that's with the Chiney bumps (aka banta knots) but I don't want to be limited to one style.

I also work in the corporate world in a company that's dominated by old YTs. I want a style that is fit for this environment and also fit for my age and profession (24/25).

I know there are a lot of women on this board who are wearing natural hair gracefully. What styles are you wearing? How often do you need to maintain the style?...and since we're asking questions, did your hairstyle affect your relationship with the oppositve sex (race insignificant) and your relationship with co-workers? Please, do tell!

SweetNic_JA said:
What styles are you wearing? How often do you need to maintain the style?...and since we're asking questions, did your hairstyle affect your relationship with the oppositve sex (race insignificant) and your relationship with co-workers? Please, do tell!

My hair is on the longer side, but I wear my hair pulled back in a horizontal french roll, the ends rolled upwards and tucked in. I condition wash my hair every 3-7 days. After I wash, I style my wet hair with leave in and World of curls gel and leave it in this style, until the next wash day. Every night, I apply leave in to my hair that is exposed, and every few days, gel around the edges. I tie my hair down with a silk scarf at night. My hair is easy to take care of this way. Sometimes, I wear an Afro puff on the weekends, and I have yet to try a braid out or twists, but I will eventually.

As for how others have reacted to my hair, I have gotten more compliments as a natural (from White and Black people) than I did when I was texturized. That's me though. I know another natural (4b, I'm guessing), who wears twists, and she has gotten rude comments from Black female (relaxed) co-workers, who have said negative things about her hair like she needs a relaxer, or she needs to comb her hair...etc...It's a shame that other people of color would criticize something that is God-given and unique to our race. Now, the natural lady wears wigs all the time to cover her beautiful twists (shaking head).

i would like to know the answer to this my self i don't like the twist on me
when i cornrow and unbraid it it looks ok but can't wear it to work i am getting a sew in tomorrow and after i take it out i will try rollersetting

when i wore my twist and twist out people looked at me like i was crazy at work one lady said what have you done to your hair now!

Last edited:
Brownie, it sounds as if your hair is flourishing. Did you start out with very little hair or did you accumulate length before you bc'ed? Once my hair gets some length I'll most likely try your horizontal french roll(as long as I can get it right). I love the way you're consistent with your regime, when I was natural and on the verge (1/2 and 1/2), I would always change up my style...always! I guess it's just me. So, I need learn discipline from now so that I won't screw up on my hair when I set it free.

It's a shame to hear about your co-worker who started wearing wigs. I imagine it's tough (just as in grade school) to ignore the teasing but if she ignored them long enough or gave them a good piece of her mind, I'm sure they would have stopped. I really can't believe how ignorant some people can be (referring to the teasers).

Oh, one quick question: How do you "dress" your hair up for special occasions?

I've been wearing my hair in mostly twists, puffs, ponytails. I usually have my hair pulled back off of my face and I think my edges are getting a bit affected. Also wearing puffs for an extended time make my ends unmanageable. So now I'm gonna try to wear twists at least half of the time. I have gotten positive responses.

Sometimes the white folks stare as if they are trying to figure out how my hair could possibly do that (twist) but I don't pay them any mind. I think as long as you are neat in your styles, most won't give you any attitude or anything....at least that's how it is in my line of work.

My husband loves my hair natural (I met him when I was relaxed) so nothing going on there..lol.

This is a good thread. My daughter recently did the BC and it looks good on her. She didn't have the patience to let it grow out and cut off the relaxed ends. Her BC is making me think of going natural but I don't want to wear a TWA (been there done that). I want to learn to take care of the two textures without too much breakage.

I wear a bun or two braids down my back every day. Pretty boring but it keeps the hair out of my face. For a special occasion, or just to make my DH happy I might wear my hair down.

SweetNic_JA said:
Brownie, it sounds as if your hair is flourishing. Did you start out with very little hair or did you accumulate length before you bc'ed? Once my hair gets some length I'll most likely try your horizontal french roll(as long as I can get it right). I love the way you're consistent with your regime, when I was natural and on the verge (1/2 and 1/2), I would always change up my style...always! I guess it's just me. So, I need learn discipline from now so that I won't screw up on my hair when I set it free.

It's a shame to hear about your co-worker who started wearing wigs. I imagine it's tough (just as in grade school) to ignore the teasing but if she ignored them long enough or gave them a good piece of her mind, I'm sure they would have stopped. I really can't believe how ignorant some people can be (referring to the teasers).

Oh, one quick question: How do you "dress" your hair up for special occasions?

I transitioned for 1 1/2 years from nearly waist length hair, so I did accumulate length, but only because I hated to cut off so much hair. Now, it's growing back at a good pace. I was able to do the horizontal french roll with 7-8 inches from root to tip. I imagine one could do it with slightly less also. I believe a regular french roll could be done with probably 5-6 inches. I don't know if I'm disciplined by keeping one style, just lazy. I like to wash my hair and that's about it (laughing).

How do I dress up my hair? If I put my hair into a bun, I like to use those hair sticks. If I have it back in a sort of french roll, I like to use colorful, small clips like butterflies or something like that, or I use pretty rinestone combs or bows. I've seen some people wearing flowers in their hair. I'd like to try that in the future. As for the puffs, I think it looks so pretty when people use colorful scarves. When I'm having a bad hair day, I like to wear headbands, but I have to wear the ones that tie at the neck because the other ones are never the right size.

As for the lady who started wearing wigs, I told her that those wigs are not as pretty as her natural hair, and I can't wait for her to start wearing her natural hair again. I don't care what those ladies said; her natural hair is more becoming to her and makes her look more original than that straight wig. JMO.

well im still doing the twa, but for the past two days ive worn two strand twist.

Ive gotten the same comments I had with my twa. Wow your hair is pretty, oh you know your working that hair cut, not many people can do that..etc..

hehe

But, initiall to my b.c. my family was in shock, but not they are whatever..I didn't get any negative comments except fro mmy liil brother. Why did you cut your hair mannn!!!? Stop twisting your hair maannn? Nooo! What now your going to grow dreds and get some gold ones too? He says this because alot of males in the bay area have twisties, locs, and gold ones..He gets on my nerves sometimes..

-Trust.

Shawnee66 said:
This is a good thread. My daughter recently did the BC and it looks good on her. She didn't have the patience to let it grow out and cut off the relaxed ends. Her BC is making me think of going natural but I don't want to wear a TWA (been there done that). I want to learn to take care of the two textures without too much breakage.

I'm doing this now. I am in braids right now though. I plan to take them out at the end of september and try to manage the 2 textures for a month or so before I put in another set of braids.

My plans right now are to use Silver2's scarf method to flatten my roots. I will be using flexirods for a curly look so that I don't have to comb through the 2 textures while the hair is dry. I think that is the biggest obstacle to learn to do styles so that you don't have to comb through the 2 textures when the hair is dry. That is when most of the breakage will occur. I will cowash often. When I am in a rush I will cowash and do the ponytail method by putting my hair in a ponytail while my head is under the shower. I will then smooth my hair with a boars bristle brush and put a cute scarf on and go.

TrustMeLove said:
Nooo! What now your going to grow dreds and get some gold ones too? He says this because alot of males in the bay area have twisties, locs, and gold ones..He gets on my nerves sometimes..
-Trust.

Slightly off topic: Yes, you're right, every guy in the Bay Area, from Vjo to Oak is wearing locs and twists, often dipped with color at the tips. It's a weird trend, because in some cases it really does make a guy look more attractive. :look:

On topic: Not natural yet, but I wore a braidout "down" for the first time today (instead of in ponytail). It looks...okay, not great. When I worked in a more corporate environment w/relaxed hair, I usually wore it in a bun, so I'd probably do the same again. My work environment is a lot more open than that, though, so we can pretty much wear most styles w/o comment.

Shake n goes are my best friend...thats all I ever do to my hair. Im getting a wig soon though. I want straight hair for a while.

Ayeshia said:
Shake n goes are my best friend...thats all I ever do to my hair. Im getting a wig soon though. I want straight hair for a while.

same here the wash/shake and go is getting me through. I also pull my hair back into a puff now that my hair is finally getting longer I have a decent size one :yay: I wore a twist out one time when I went out dancing w/ friends and surprisingly got a lot of compliments. I was surprised because I didn't think it looked that good on me but I guess it did.

I mostly wear two-strand twists, twist outs, or I get my hair braided in any type of extensions when I don't feel like combing my own hair.

I had those same questions and concerns too. It is natural to have fears of a new lifestyle. To me it is not just a hair change but a lifestyle change. I have gotten lots of positive feedback once I finally took the big plunge. I do get attention from the opposite sex regardless of race. I started dating someone white and he met me with twists in my hair. So if a man likes you, your hair is not going to make that much of a difference. I would suggest cutting the relaxed ends off. I work in a professional environment, I usually wear my hair with a scarve around my afro puff or twists. Sometimes I wear a flower in my hair which really gets a lot of ohs and ahs at work. Either way you have a pretty face so you can carry the look.

nurseN98 said:
I've been wearing my hair in mostly twists, puffs, ponytails. I usually have my hair pulled back off of my face and I think my edges are getting a bit affected. Also wearing puffs for an extended time make my ends unmanageable. So now I'm gonna try to wear twists at least half of the time. I have gotten positive responses.

Sometimes the white folks stare as if they are trying to figure out how my hair could possibly do that (twist) but I don't pay them any mind. I think as long as you are neat in your styles, most won't give you any attitude or anything....at least that's how it is in my line of work.

My husband loves my hair natural (I met him when I was relaxed) so nothing going on there..lol.

I am noticing some adverse effects to from pulling my hair back all the time. I wore it out today in a fro just for that reason.

Last edited:
im glad u guys are posting this..I'm like u sweetnik..allthough i already Bc'ed..i wont be wearing my hair out at leaat until i make a yr from the date I Bc'ed...so all this info is great...but i do love being natural..its like a whole new discovery for me...

There are plenty of hairstyles that are work appropriate for naturals. I have figured out how to work with my hair and I can do buns, french twists, french rolls, ponies etc. I have been to plenty of formal functions and I never had to worry about not fitting in with my hair.

I mostly wear buns...I'll wear a wash 'n go here & there for variety...it's pinned or bunned up mostly though...

the styles i hae tried are twistouts, rod sets, and a afro puff( phony pony). i got compliments on all except the afro puff. my cousin told me to fix my bush and my friend asked me why i didy hair like that, he didn't like it either. i didn't guys would still holla at me with my natural hair but they still do. the easiest style for me is the afro puff. i want to try this with conrows going up and then a puff on top.

How do you do the french roll on your natural hair? My hair is kinky with coils. Do I just use a lot of gel to hold it in place?

Well the environment that I work in is pretty laid back, so I pretty much wear my hair all kinds of ways. Since I've been natural I've rocked the following:

twa
twist
All "out" styles
large fro
box braids
cornrows
flat twist
buns
roller sett
palm rolls
straw sett
updos
and Bantu Knots

My favorite styles have been the afro, all updos, the bun, and best of all the Bantu knots!

How has it effected my relationships: Well my mother always has something to say, lol. But she actually liked my big wild afro. The knots she didn't like at all. But who cares what she thinks, I liked em.

My husband adores every hair on my head even when its not mine lol. I think he's partial to natural hair though, but he'll take what he can get. lol

My supervisor is just as crazy as I' am and when I see her she NEVER has anything to say about my hair. I give her hair advise lol. I even have worn wraps to work....mind you I work for the GOV'MENT. Nobody cares where I work. I mean in the beginning I heard some crazy things from my co-workers, but they're "ignit" so who cares what they think.

Ok I think I answered all your questions :0).

My favorite styles are the box braids/plaits with or without extensions. I very seldom do cornrows or twists these days. I have retired my wigs for a while.

My current b/f loves my hair without extensions. He just twirls the plaits around his fingers and tugs on them while we watch T.V. The first time he did that, it sort of shocked me, then he started massaging my head...

okay kiddies, that's enough :D

Well, I've gotten more attention from guys with my natural hair than I ever had when I had a relaxer. As far as styles, I only have about 2-3 inches of hair (had to cut an inch of split ends off of my previously 3-4 inches) so I just wear a twa or I throw some gel in and where a mini curly twa (smile). Just this week I cornrowed the front and left the back out in a bush. Looks kinda funny since it's so short, but I like it and I haven't gotten any negative feedback. Well, except from my daughter's father (we're not together) but who cares.

Back