naturals: what conditioner do u use 4 co-washes?

tt8

I have heard debates on whether or not co-washing is more drying than not for your hair because of a detergent ingredient. These are mostly the instant/ put on after you shampoo n immediately wash out. What brand/type of conditioner do you use that is not stripping or drying to your natural hair? Thanks

When I was natural I used all the cheapies like suave,vo5 etc. and my hair never felt right but smelled so good LOL!!! But I learned that you have to use the right conditioner, & for me I used Jessicurl's Too Shea Moisturizing Conditioner and even though I am texturized I still do, It makes my hair so soft even after it dries. But you could also Doctor up a cheapie and make it work great!!!

You definitely cannot use just any conditioner to do a proper conditioner wash. I currently use Elucence MBC for my co-washes, and my hair feels great. Not dry at all.

I have previously used the cheapies, and of those, I liked the Suave Tropical Coconut. Trader Joe's Nourish is also good.

Elucence keeps coming into my path. Maybe God is trying to tell me something. Have you guys heard of Praital?

I've never heard of Praital.
Do you know the ingredients?

ETA: Elucence is so great because 1.) A little goes a long way, so you get your money's worth out of the bottle, 2.) It is a multiputpose conditioner - you can use it for co-wash, rinse out, or leave in conditioner, and 3.) The main ingredients are natural.

Last edited:
I use Suave Humectant or Pantene Pro V for curly hair...Then I do a leave in when I'm out of the shower

Last edited:
Suave Tropical Coconut,VO5 strawberries n cream,Suave milk and Honey, Daily Defense Tender apple. All give great slip and clean my scalp well.

PRAITAL SILK WORM RINSE INGREDIENTS: Silk protein, coconut oil, vegetable oil,mineral oil,lanolin,cetyl alcohol,preservative,fragrance,citric acid,color and fresh water.

I've never heard of Praital.
Do you know the ingredients?

ETA: Elucence is so great because 1.) A little goes a long way, so you get your money's worth out of the bottle, 2.) It is a multiputpose conditioner - you can use it for co-wash, rinse out, or leave in conditioner, and 3.) The main ingredients are natural.

Hmmm I never tried mixing them together but those are the two I use...
And I used to use Suave Humectant.. I need to go back to that.

It works really well for me in the winter. My hair especially dry so leaving it in a few extra minutes with a shower cap seems to give it a little extra moisture

My holy grail cheapie is White Rain Water Blossom. I use it for co-washing, & deep conditioning. One bottle lasts FOREVER because when it hits the 1/2 way mark I fill the bottle with water, shake it up and end up with a full bottle of THICK RICH conditioner!

V05 Free Me Fresia is also a fave. It's the only con I use to wash out my henna and exclusively for co-washes for the 3 days after.

Lately i've been experimenting with pricey conditioners for co-washes :lol: at $3.99 a bottle Herbal Essences actually have some effective conditioners. Especially if your hair (like mine) does well with or without 'cones.

You definitely cannot use just any conditioner to do a proper conditioner wash. I currently use Elucence MBC for my co-washes, and my hair feels great. Not dry at all.

I have previously used the cheapies, and of those, I liked the Suave Tropical Coconut. Trader Joe's Nourish is also good.
Of all the cheapies I tried, Suave Tropical Coconut is my absolute favorite. It leaves my hair soft, moisturized, and tangle-free. :up: :up:

I've never seen Eluence in France or in US drugstores. Is it only available from BSS?

BTW, MekyakaKinkerbelle, your hair is beautiful.

Last edited:
Thanks Miss*Tress!

PRAITAL SILK WORM RINSE INGREDIENTS: Silk protein, coconut oil, vegetable oil,mineral oil,lanolin,cetyl alcohol,preservative,fragrance,citric acid,color and fresh water.

@ tt8, I wouldn't use this for a co-wash because of the mineral oil. Mineral oil serves to coat strands and leads to build up.

Effective co-washing starts with limiting the use of mineral oil and 'cones. Otherwise, you aren't relly washing your hair, just adding conditioner and rinsing it out. You'll need some other cleansing agent to get the build up out.

Back when I used to co-wash, I used the following conditioners:

Aussie Moist Conditioner
Suave Naturals Aloe Vera Conditioner
Suave Humectant Conditioner
Herbal Essences Replenishing Conditioner

I doubledip - I use the same con (Elasta QP Intense) for cowashing as I do for DC'ing. I put it in my hair, let it soak long enough to do it's DC work, give my scalp and hair a couple of good 'scritches' and massages to lift up any stubborn gunk as the cowash, and rinse it all out.

Gymfreak told me about some really good conditioners with low pH's for my POROUS and or FINE HAIR natural chicas

PANTENE MASK (for relaxed n naturals) its a DC; yet to try
PAUL MITCHELL SUPERCHARED (good DC); liked it lots
PAUL MITCHELL DETANGLER (a rinse) has great slip!!!!

When I used to co-wash I used Avalon Organics Lavender Conditioner. I liked it - but I realized that water rinsing was sufficient enough for my strands. But you got me thinking about using it again. Maybe I'll dilute it some like others suggested. Here are the ingredients:

Certified organic lavandula angustifolia (lavender), calendula officinalis (calendula) and lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extracts (aqueous)(1), certified organic helianthus annuus (sunflower) oil(1), cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, stearic acid, soyamidopropalkonium chloride, cetrimonium chloride, cyclopentasiloxane, emulsifying wax, beta-glucan (oat), certified organic orbignya oleifera (babassu) seed oil(2), panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), bisabolol (chamomile), arginine (amino acid), babassuamadopropalkonium chloride, ethylhexylglycerin, sodium chloride, tocopherol (vitamin E), and certified organic lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil(3).

I use vo5 and suave conditioners. My favorite is suave for curly hair(in the teal/green bottle). It leaves my hair soft and the curls are really defined. Oh, I also add olive and coconut oils to them.

Back