Naturals What are

kinchen said:
the african lady at the braid shop she said you cant two strand twist with human hair that i had

Hmm, well if you had Yaky or Wet n Wavy braiding hair than no, you probably can't do twists with that. But She's N- Vogue makes two nice brands of human twisting hair that run in a Kinky Twist and Afro Twist kind of style.

I'm sure other companies make hair like this too. While the human hair twists may last for a shorter amount of time, they tend to look and feel more natural. Not to mention they age a lot more gracefully.

Country gal said:
I will be wearing twists out or a wash and go like I did today at the Baltimore meeting.

I liked your wash and go. :) I think we have a similar texture. Do you use any products on it? If so, what are you using?

shalita05 said:
Not to high jack the thread but what do you use to secure TWISTS??? small black rubber bands? Small clips? bobby Pins?

I just twirl the ends around my finger. No need for any gels, bands and stuff.

As for what I will do for the summer, actual for the next 2.5 years I am on a full on protective challenge to keep my hair in protective styles until 2010. It might sound like a longtime but it is really just a lifestyle for me at this point. I wear plaits, cornrows, twists, and flat twists 99% of the time. They very in size and style so that I can keep the boredom at bay.

To keep your twists from locing on you keep your twists oiled down to the ends and even co-wash (no shampoo) while they are in, and don’t keep them in longer then 2-3 weeks. I am sure your hair will not loc sooner then that. Lets us know what you decide.

Last edited:
Buns, wash 'n go's, occasional flatiron, rollersets, flexirod sets, braidouts, 3/4 wigs -- I think there are lots of options for us naturals, especially with the popularity of scarves, headbands and pretty hair jewelry. I plan to experiment with making a braided headband of my own hair and sticking some decorative shells in it.

I've been thinking about this as well. I think I'm going to wear the style that's in my siggy (the pony puff) most of the time and wash n' gos. I'll also experiment more with braid outs because I still can't get mine to look nice. I have a really young face so I think twists might be out of the question for me unless I get extensions and umm I'm not trying to dish out that money lol.

I'm having the same problem! It looks like I'll be wearing buns and braidouts most of the summer. The humidity seems aweful, and I haven't mastered a decent wash n go yet.

I'll be bunning and wearing more protective styles this summer. My focus is retention since my hair is at that critical point.

Very SIMPLE this summer -
  • Con Wash every Tues, Thu, and Sun
  • No Combing / Brushing
  • Cornrow my hair and wear WIG as protective style
  • Moisturize hair twice daily
Hopefully it will push me over the APL mark by August! :)

thanks for all the tips ladies i call the african braider that did my kinky twist last summer and she said she would twist my hair for 70 bucks now my question is i have washed and air dried and detangled with CD healthy hair butter should i blow dry it out my appointment is for tomorrow

tia

Back