Naturals w/a Fine Nape

nived32

Before I BC'd in July I wore wigs for about 4 months. Unbeknownst to me the wearing of the nylon wig cap for so long broke off the hair at my temples and nape of my neck. I used Dr. Bronner's nape and temple balm, and combined with general maintenance and the overall babying of my hair, the nape of my neck is now growing longer than the rest of my head.

The problem I'm having is that I'm noticing that the hair back there is...different...than the rest of my hair (and ALWAYS has been). I'm a good solid 4a on 95% of my head. The hair coils perfectly with minimal manipulation. The back, though, is weird. It's almost like the hair back there is too fluffy and light to curl!

I've had a natural friend look at some pics and she's helped me realize that the hair back there is MUCH finer than the rest of my hair. I can also tell that while the rest of my hair is densely packed, the hair at my nape is almost sparse (ie. I have way more follicles in an inch of hair at the top of my head than I do in an inch at my nape). Because the hair is also wiry, while it will hold a coil or a twist, once it's twisted out it's back to looking a hot mess...I have found nothing that will define those curls (if they'll even curl at all).

I'm at the point now where I'd just like to fade the back so I can at least be able to wear my twa out (because having perfectly curled hair and then a fluffy puff in the back is NOT cute :lol:)

So, are there things that I can do to weigh that hair down or to strengthen it so that it will retain it's curl? Is it even possible to grow thicker hair back there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. I'm attaching 3 pics. The first is of my hair after I had coiled it all up and then done a "coil out" (where you can see that the back didn't take at all). The second pic is after I retwisted the back to show that the hair WILL still coil. The third is a pic of how sparse the hair is down there (which is why I don't just leave it coiled...I'd either have to do a million individual coils or be left with like 5-7 TOTAL coils/twists). Sorry for the pic quality...
DSC02357.jpgDSC02364.jpgDSC02368.jpg

I have no answers, just support. I have the same thing going on. PLUS my patch is a different colour:spinning: see below...

STA70764-vi.jpg

Pic from 2008

AfroKink, my nape looks like yours. I've suffered from this for YEARS!! Are you using anything specific to grow it out? One product in the last 20 years has really helped it grow. It was a product by Hairobics. I think the key (for me) is twisting my nape.

Nived32, I love your coils. Did you do them? If so, with what and how? Yes, your nape looks like a different texture. Mine is the same way and it's harder for me to achieve length there.

I haven't been using any product in particular, I'm just more conscious of that area. I don't do small or medium twists back there because that patch with form a dread lock. When I detangle my hair I'm more patient with that area because I know that it breaks so easily. It's still shorting than the hair around it, but its making improvements. If I remember this weekend I'll take a pic so you can see how it's progressed.

My nape is like this but the front of my head and sides of my head are even worse. That hair is so fine and loose. It's not heat damage because it was like this before I started using heat and I use heat very minimally and on very low temperatures anyway. There's not much I can do b/c most product weighs it down making it almost straight. I usually end up putting no product on it or very minimal and then just try to scrunch it and shape it so it doesn't look out of place with the rest of my hair.

I am much the same boat. I have pictures of my nape in my profile album. Maybe I will try the nioxin. I was trying to do jco and the moe grow but I have never been consistent enough to see a difference. I notice breaking on my nape and temple from the bobby pins when I was wear a wig as well.

No answers for you but here for support. I have the same issue. Really fine, thin, fragile and dreads real easy. My hair is filled in a little more dense than yours. I put cornrows in the back to keep it from dreading. It grows fast but then the whole thing turns into a big highway of SSKs so I end up having to cut if off.

Would love to hear more about the nioxin.

Yep. The hair on my nape is a lot softer and finer than the rest of my hair. It hasn't affected me too much. I'm just a bit more gentle with that area.

I checked out the Nioxin reviews online. Most said it didn't grow hair, but it strengthened the hairyou already have.

I'm in the "fine and sparse in the nape area club" too. Not only is it less hair, but its a different texture. Like a previous poster said, I do have to handle it more carefully. Its amazing how different it is from the rest of my hair. I'm hoping doing cassia or henna in the future will cause the hair at the nape to be more "sturdier", thus less prone to breakage.

Actually, with the exception of the back, this is how my hair looks, coiled or not. When I did attempt the coils, though (and this was my first time), I used my fingers and some Garnier Fructis curling cream (and I don't think they make it any more). These pictures were taken 2 days after I did the coils, and to get them to curl again I just used my fingers and nothing else.

I agree that this isn't heat damage (at least oj my head) because my "new" hair has never seen heat. My temples are also like this to an extent, but because their is more hair there it's easier to camouflage. I'm going to look into the Nixon (sp?) because I'm ready for there to be change back there...at least until the rest of my hair grows around it. I think is have a much better chance of hiding the back if the rest grew over it.

AfroKink, my nape looks like yours. I've suffered from this for YEARS!! Are you using anything specific to grow it out? One product in the last 20 years has really helped it grow. It was a product by Hairobics. I think the key (for me) is twisting my nape.

Nived32, I love your coils. Did you do them? If so, with what and how? Yes, your nape looks like a different texture. Mine is the same way and it's harder for me to achieve length there.

Where can one find that?

You can find it at ulta. Its the only thing that grew my edges back rather quickly. Also pay special attention to wear u tie your scarf at night. The knot tied in your scarf can cause friction & tension in that area. I use a bonnet with silk trimming to reduce tension & rubbing on my edges & nape. hth
ulta has a great return policy. I believe its 60 days, so if you don't like it you can return it for a full refund
I apply it then apply moisture.
Hhg

I'm using Mn and another product on my nape now. I have hair back there, but its not really long enough to catch or coil. I need something to strengthen the hair at the root.

I'm using Mn and another product on my nape now. I have hair back there, but its not really long enough to catch or coil. I need something to strengthen the hair at the root.

How exactly are you using the MN, and is it working? Unfortunately I live on an island where we don't have the availability of a lot of products, but the MN is something I can get.

I've only been using MN for about 2 wks. I try to part that area and rub mn on my scalp. I'm noticing the hair is a little more abundant back there, but its too soon to tell.

I've only been using MN for about 2 wks. I try to part that area and rub mn on my scalp. I'm noticing the hair is a little more abundant back there, but its too soon to tell.

Have you noticed the headaches yet? Also what are you mixing it with (if anything). Lastly how often do you apply it and when (like at night before bed)? I'm going to try the MN tonight, and from reading around I've seen some that mix with some oils, so that's what I'm going to do (I have a product that has a mix of peppermint, sweet almond, rosemary, orange, lavender and a few other EO's so I'm going to mix it with that).

I used MN in the past. It does work. Never had any headaches and I don't mix it with anything. My hair is fine and the oils would weigh my hair down. Right now I'm applying the MN at least 4 times a week. I usually apply anytime in the evening (right after work, up until bed time). Sometimes I apply it early morning on Saturdays. Just whenever I have time and whenever I remember.

I spritz my nape with Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 (I think that's what it's called) everyday. So, it stays moisturized without having to add oil. This works best for me

Back