Naturals that successfully go blonde?

Qualitee

Am I the only one that noticed that it's a hit or miss when a natural goes blonde? Mostly misses :look: A lot of women who try to dye their hair blonde, whether they go to a salon or not, usually end up with blonde straw like hair :ohwell: I've seen it in every day life and on yt, ig etc When they go blonde it's either damaged but the curl pattern is still there or damaged and the curl pattern is totally destroyed. And in the end they end up having to cut their hair. Yet I've seen natural women who have gone blonde successfully without damage.

I know a long time ago I bleached the back of my hair 'blonde' but it ended up orangy... I have yet to see anyone with natural hair go blonde without that sort of brassy tone if you know what I mean. Like more 'yellow' than platinum. The damage was not bad but the texture fell like crazy. I think the process is just far too intense for natural hair that is already darkly pigmented.

Dark hair generally doesn't do well when the color is lifted that high. The only cases in which I have noticed it works, in any hair type's case, is when it is a high end salon that babies the customer's hair through the process, during follow up, and during subsequent retouches. Heat use is severely limited and regular treatments (moisture and protein) are introduced. Those salons are expensive as well as knowledgeable and are willing to spend time with their clients, so they cost a pretty penny, like 150-250 dollars a process. I am not certain as to how much per visit. In any case you get what you pay for, and raven haired girls like myself need to think long and hard before going blonde.

Last edited:
My roommate from college has always been natural and a blonde for the past 7+ years.

I believe she uses Dark & Lovely. I don't think you can use just any bleach, blonde, dye kit. It's better to use one that at least promises to restore moisture, or prevent breakage or damage. IMO!

That orangey effect happens when you don't use a toner.
I have successfully done it at home but the care it requires is not worth the effort. Type 4 hair already can have a tendency to lack sheen (at least mine) so the subsequent dryness and straw like effect wasn't my cup of tea. I now pretty much stick to jet black rinses for a super healthy sheeny look.
I would def just go to a salon if I were to do it again-it's a job best left to the professionals imo.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Dark hair generally doesn't do well when the color is lifted that high. The only cases in which I have noticed it works, in any hair type's case, is when it is a high end salon that babies the customer's hair through the process, during follow up, and during subsequent retouches. Heat use is severely limited and regular treatments (moisture and protein) are introduced. Those salons are expensive as well as knowledgeable and are willing to spend time with their clients, so they cost a pretty penny, like 150-250 dollars a process. I am not certain as to how much per visit. In any case you get what you pay for, and raven haired girls like myself need to think long and hard before going blonde.

Hence why I'd never go blond. I would not be able to afford the proper upkeep. Taren Guys hair sealed the deal for me. Her hair looked horribly dry and hay like after going blond.

In my experience, bleach is a recipe for disaster. I didn't BC to ruin my hair with heat and bleach. Please think like me. For your hair's sake.

Yeah when I did mine I'm not sure what color I was going for it came out a dirty strawberry blonde. My hair there wasn't any more dry than my typical hair

It's hard for our hair to look moisturized when we go blonde. Even when healthy, our hair doesn't shine because of the structure of our strand. Add to that the raising of the cuticle which is needed to lighten the color and it is hard to get a healthy blond shine. Those with silkier texture have an easier time achieving the desired effect.

Back