Naturals that press

Ntrlmystik

I used to be able to flat iron my hair and my press would last until the next wash. Regardless of how sleek its looks, it reverts to the frizzies almost immediately. I've had a dominican blowout, I went to a great stylist and even went to a salon and used the Mizani thermasmooth...each time by the time I got home from the salon my hair was a poof! Has anyone every had that experience and can let me know what they've done?

I've only had this issue in the summer. Like in the middle of July during a heat wave. So I have learned for me....that I get great results wearing straight styles in the cooler months. I have been wearing my hair straight for the last 2 weeks and to be honest it still looks pretty good but my scalp is like :nono: So it need to be to washed ASAP and I will do that today. With all of that said, I suggest you try wet setting yourr hair on magnectic rollers first and having it flat ironed after the set has dryed. I believe this method is a lil less stressful to hair than a full blowout. I have tried both and like this technique the best. I aslo have not had any change in my natural texture. That is the BIGGEST plus.

HTH

ETA: I also, carry a travel size of PM Skinny Serum in my purse in case I encounter some damp weather or see the start of frizzies. Oh, and I try to keep a scarf or lined hat with me also...just in case. I really just revert back to all the techiniques for upkeep I used when I wore my hair relaxed.

Last edited:
I've only known that to happen in cases of extreme humidity. Is it possible the weather was humid on those days that your hair frizzed up? It could possibly be your stylist's technique that is not allowing your press to keep. Did you change stylists? Has your hair undergone any damage that has created lots of short hairs on your head, which would intensify frizz? Is your hair being deep conditioned on a regular basis? Overall, it just seems as if something has caused this change.

Try two products. The first is Aveda's Anti-Humectant Pomade. Only use a pea size. The second is Mizani's Humidity Resistant Spray. I use both in the summer as soon as I get my hair flat ironed. Now that it is winter, I only use the Aveda product.

Are you new to presses/flat ironing? Sometimes I hear folks say that your hair has to be trained. I don't really know but I can go 2+ weeks and my hair will not revert.

I've only known that to happen in cases of extreme humidity. Is it possible the weather was humid on those days that your hair frizzed up? It could possibly be your stylist's technique that is not allowing your press to keep. Did you change stylists? Has your hair undergone any damage that has created lots of short hairs on your head, which would intensify frizz? Is your hair being deep conditioned on a regular basis? Overall, it just seems as if something has caused this change.

I have no damage...Each time I've had a press, it has been after October when the weather was cool. I deep condition once a week. It is sooo strange.

My pressed hair only reverts in extreme humidity! I live in a climate that is dry 10 months out of a year. So during the humid months I don't press; I just wear natural styles until the weather changes.

Back