Naturals that flat iron

laurend085

Is it hard to flat iron your natural hair that is curly/kinky? I have a hard enough time when my hair is between perms to try to get it straight and flat like I want it. Or do you find it easier?

Is it hard to flat iron your natural hair that is curly/kinky? I have a hard enough time when my hair is between perms to try to get it straight and flat like I want it. Or do you find it easier?

Easier than what? I haven't tried to flat iron any other hair but my own, so can't compare with anything else to answer you question about it being easier. What I do know is pressing wet-to-dry gives me a better press than back when I didn't know of this method. My hair would always look like it was just blow dried if I just applied product to dry hair and pressed. Since I started doing the first iron pass on wet hair, then the second on serum'd hair, I've seen better results. :yep:

It's easy enough. Unlike with relaxed hair, you usually have do an extra step, whether it's blowdry, rollerset, etc (something to stretch the hair), but once that's done, it's all the same. At least to me.

Nope.....not for me.....but its all relative.....whats your definition of hard?

For me its pretty simple my hair is braided in sections before I wash and condition I leave it like that until I'm ready to straighten

Slap some IC Pink Bottle Serum on wet hair section by section, blowdry, spray with IC Pink Bottle heat protectant, press the roots, spray with heat protectant again and flat iron and voila!!

I got this done in a record of 1 hour a couple of weeks back...amazing how quickly one can move when you're expecting a cutie is over your dorm room and you're pressed for time:giggle:

It's the same to me as it was relaxed; of course that's AFTER I blowdry to stretch the hair. I have noticed however that having good ceramic irons gives a better smoother look. I used to use the cheapies, then upgraded to the Jibere from Sally's... neither the cheapie irons or the Jibere did squat for my hair. It wasn't until I invested in a CHI did I see salon quality results. Now I'm about to move up to the FHI Runway because my hair LOVES it!

At any rate, it's not been harder for me assuming I have a quality flat iron.

Easier than what? I haven't tried to flat iron any other hair but my own, so can't compare with anything else to answer you question about it being easier. What I do know is pressing wet-to-dry gives me a better press than back when I didn't know of this method. My hair would always look like it was just blow dried if I just applied product to dry hair and pressed. Since I started doing the first iron pass on wet hair, then the second on serum'd hair, I've seen better results. :yep:

What kind of iron are you using on wet hair? And is it soaking wet? Interesting... I'd like to know more. TIA

It's easy enough. Unlike with relaxed hair, you usually have do an extra step, whether it's blowdry, rollerset, etc (something to stretch the hair), but once that's done, it's all the same. At least to me.
Yep, this is pretty much it for me too.

I'm sorry I phrased it wrong. I'm sure alot of you have nothing to compare it to. I guess I'm still trying to learn to use a flat iron properly. MY problem is getting all the sections esp. the back. I find my hair is still puffed up because I can't quite get all the sections/layers that I need to for it all to lay flat. I end up giving up because I know I've put too much heat on my hair trying to make it lay flat.

What tools are you using and what's your technique?

Do you wash and condition in sections?

Would you characterize your hair as curly or coily?

What products are you using?

Easy enough. Although I never even thought to flat iron when I was relaxed...I figured it was str8 already. It takes me about an hr. I air dry in plaits after a good DC and add a small amount of heat protectant to each section before maxigliding for satisfactory results.

I take my time flat ironing and use very small, thin sections. I heat protect and make sure I've had a good wash and condition. Taking very small sections helps to insure that I don't miss anything. First, I section off the hair across at the crown from ear to ear, and pin that up away from what's down. Then, I start with tiny sections at the nape and work forward. I always use heat protectant.

Well I'm not natural yet...I'm about to begin growing out my perm or just stretching it to start. Currently I have permed hair and I have my major problems flat ironing after shampooing and conditioning...I recently began letting my hair air dry and drenching it in John Frieda frizz-ease cause my hair turns into a big unmanageable puff ball after it dries...I also use a flat iron if I'm going out somewhere and need to touch it up or when wrapping my hair at night doesn't work as well in maintaining the style..

What kind of iron are you using on wet hair? And is it soaking wet? Interesting... I'd like to know more. TIA

I used a Babyliss Ceramic flat iron (I think this is it). Hair isn't soaking wet. Just damp, otherwise hot water might trickle to your scalp. I have always done first press with bare damp hair, and second press with serum, but this time I took precautions and used a heat protectant both times. First press with a wet heat protectant and second press with a serum heat protectant. And I cannot stress enough that in all my life, that's the best press I ever had: for not once did I smell burning hair. Not even when I shampooed my hair back to normal. Shrinkage happened with a quickness.

I shared this in a few threads. In this first one, I showed results I would get when I just used water. (Not really something I would recommend but I think it is in this thread that I also gave links to threads where others did the same.) Newtogrow tried the method and shared her experience in this thread too:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=400194

In this post, I walk you through how I did it this time with heat protectants (sorry if it's an echo of something I posted in the previous thread). It is using protectants that made me no longer afraid of using heat on my hair:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=8912196&postcount=17

Its the same for me because I've always rollerset my hair and then used a flatiron (well back in the day it was a blow dryer). The steps have remained the same. The only difference is that my hair will revert if the humidity is high. Other than that everything else remains the same.

Just wanted to add that buying a good flatiron helped tremendously. I bought a CHI and my hair comes out much nicer.

i don't flat iron my own hair...my stylist does and I see her 2-3 times a yr usually when I feel that I need a dusting.She uses the marcel flat ron and I have never suffered heat damage. she explained to me with my hair type( 3c-4a) that the blow drying step was most important (getting the hair smooth as possble) while with some other textures that the flat ironing is more important. I noticed that as a result my hair is silky, hella shiny and peeps damn near cuss me out cause they think that I relaxed.

Back