Naturals - Second Day Hair on Twistouts?

I can't.... I've done second day hair when I'm simply too lazy to retwist. It doesn't look terrible but it doesn't look nearly as good as if I'd retwist the night before.

It definitely can be done. The trick is to make sure you twist on damp, clean hair (wet hair will take forever to dry and dry hair doesn't maintain definition) and apply the styling product to each section of hair that is to be twisted. So, if you have 4 sections with 5 twists per section, you will apply product to each of those 5 subsections of hair before you twist them up. Also, you have to be kind of heavy-handed with product, especially if you are using a butter, twisting or curling cream. You have to trap as much moisture as possible right when styling to really lock in definition. Any style on natural hair, whether straightened, a wash n go or a twist/braidout, lasts longer with a well-moisturized base. Frizz is a natural component of some hair, but most frizz comes from the hair seeking moisture from the environment (means your hair is dry). Another tip is to not moisturize until you re-twist the hair. Adding any type of moisturizer to loose hair just results in frizz and tangles (for my hair). Being heavy-handed at the beginning means that the moisture (and therefore, definition) lasts about 3-5 days. Once the definition decreases and/or my hair starts to feel dry is when I will remoisturize and retwist. It cuts down on buildup, the twists help to lock in the moisture and the moisturizer helps to reset the twist pattern.
As to actual nightly upkeep, I just throw it in a pineapple or a bun and sleep on a satin pillowcase.

I've figured out a way that works for me. I haven't tried it on chunky twistouts, just on twistouts from 20-ish twists.

I bought a ton of silk scrunchies off Etsy and an extra long satin bonnet (like a pillowcase you tie on your head) from Eboni's Ebonnets.

I just put a little moisturizer on my ends and add Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum to the length, separate my hair into four sections, and band each section with silk scrunchies. I use maybe three-four scrunchies per section (three extra large ones and one regular sized one).

My hair tends to look exactly the same for two days and then it frizzes up by the third and I go into a ponytail or bun. The Super Skinny Serum is to fight humidity here.

Back