Naturals: Salon Visits or DIY?

MsBttrfly23

To all of my natural ladies, I am just curious...

Do any of you visit salons occasionally/frequently/every now and then to assist with shaping, styling, treatments, definition, and care of your natural hair/styles? If so what are the pros and cons?

Or do you DIY (do it yourself) and care for your natural hair through trial and error, learning through transitioning what your hair likes and does not like and just experimentation?

I am currently transitioning and while I truly feel ALL of the wonderful advice on this site is more help than I could ever dream of having, I have wondered should I find a natural hair salon here in H-town to assist me with my transitioning to ensure it grows out healthy and with as little breakage as possible OR should I just continue my journey using microbraids until I am completly natural and then enlist the assistance of a salon to help me maintain and "learn" my hair?

Any and all input is welcome as well as recommendations (from any Houston ladies) of some good salons that cater to natural hair. (Wish they had Curves/Ms.Jessie's here in Texas :perplexed )

Last edited:
I haven't visited a salon since I've been natural. I do everything myself. I've toyed with the idea of going for trims or conditioning treatments before, but I'd rather do it at home. Never really been fond of salons though.

lsubabiedee said:
I haven't visited a salon since I've been natural. I do everything myself. I've toyed with the idea of going for trims or conditioning treatments before, but I'd rather do it at home. Never really been fond of salons though.

Looks like you have done a beautiful job! Checked out your album and your hair is very pretty!

lsubabiedee said:

same here. for me, its taken a while to learn my hair because i kept it in braids for so long. i've thought about goin to the salon for treatments, and i probably would have if i weren't broke. but being broke has made me much more self-reliant when it comes to my hair, which has helped. i pretty much can do whatever needs to be done, and if i don't i will learn.

i would say that i definitely have a phobia of salons too. one bad stylist ruined me for life :(

MsBttrfly23 said:
Looks like you have done a beautiful job! Checked out your album and your hair is very pretty!

aww thank you.
you'll have a head of beautiful natural hair soon too!

I've been to a shop twice since going natural. Once last oct and this past oct for a cut/trim. Normally I do self trims, but ever so often I like to have it actually shaped up by someone who knows what they are doing.

I'm natural and just came out of my braids. I went to a salon to get a trim and a deep condition. I will probably continue to go to her every few months for that. I dont trust myself to trim my hair (I may end up with patches).

Any recommendations on how often to trim natural hair. I know it shouldnt be as often as relaxed since I'm not using any heat...right?

I'm a DIY. There aren't many natural salons here and my former hairdresser is in a different country. I've found much easier to do it myself especially with Protective Styling. Good Luck

Went to the new Ulta store/salon that just opened in my area for a much-needed trim. The stylist did an EXCELLENT job. Otherwise, been doing everything else myself, e.g., cleansing, conditioning, deep treatments, etc.

vivadiva85 said:
same here. for me, its taken a while to learn my hair because i kept it in braids for so long. i've thought about goin to the salon for treatments, and i probably would have if i weren't broke. but being broke has made me much more self-reliant when it comes to my hair, which has helped. i pretty much can do whatever needs to be done, and if i don't i will learn.

i would say that i definitely have a phobia of salons too. one bad stylist ruined me for life :(

Well thanks for the reply. So far seems like DIY is the best way to learn your hair. If you don't mind me asking, what happened (the bad experience you mentioned)?

Every time I go to a salon I come away disappointed. So I'm all for self-care. But maybe if I wanted a major cut I would go to a salon. Or if I decide to flat iron maybe I will go to a salon for the first time.Or if I wanted a specific style then I may go, but so far I feel that I can do all of those things better than a stylist. I just don't tink a stylist can ever know my hair and what works for me the way I do.

CrystalRain said:
I'm natural and just came out of my braids. I went to a salon to get a trim and a deep condition. I will probably continue to go to her every few months for that. I dont trust myself to trim my hair (I may end up with patches).

Any recommendations on how often to trim natural hair. I know it shouldnt be as often as relaxed since I'm not using any heat...right?

I am sure someone here can answer that question. Since I am still transitioning, I trim very frequently and actually chopped a lot off when I first started back in April. I am sure that now since you are completely natural all that really matters as far as trimming goes, is to keep ends as neat as possible to retain and encourage growth...some of the veterans/pros can correct me if I am wrong...:look:

TempleGirl said:
I'm a DIY. There aren't many natural salons here and my former hairdresser is in a different country. I've found much easier to do it myself especially with Protective Styling. Good Luck

Thanks TempleGirl...so far I am leaning towards the DIY...who better to "KNOW" and care for my hair than me. Guess I'd better learn and experiment till I get it down. So far it really has been fun and interesting to say the least.

RelaxerRehab said:
Went to the new Ulta store/salon that just opened in my area for a much-needed trim. The stylist did an EXCELLENT job. Otherwise, been doing everything else myself, e.g., cleansing, conditioning, deep treatments, etc.

Thanks for the reply. See, I guess you got lucky by getting someone who did a good job. My fear is that I will get someone who will do something to totally make me mad or taint my experience. That is a chance/risk you take by letting someone else in your head. So far...leaning towards DIY...unless I get some really good "word of mouth/referrals."

I do it all myself. I've been to the salon only 3 times since chopping. The stylist is my best friend but she always encourages a texturizer so I've stopped going to her. There is a natural salon here but it's really expensive so it's do it myself.

MsBttrfly23 said:
Very pretty hair Carlie.

ITA :up:

I currently DIY cuz there really aren't any natural hair stylists where I'm at. I do plan on visiting some natural hair salons when I get to GA

I have been DIY since I started my transition, save I did go to my stylist for the BC back in March.

I would go to my stylist for wetsets, flat twists, a flatiron (maybe, although I think I can do this to my satisfaction as well), or permanent color. There's a salon that got some good reviews for cutting naturally curly hair, so I'd like to try them for a cut and/or color.

Otherwise, I prefer DIY--I know how to properly detangle my hair and I know the product likes/dislikes. It is so much more liberating to have natural hair AND to be able to style/care for your own hair. Even if I were loc'ed, I'd probably learn to retwist myself. I will go to a salon/stylist, but I won't rely on one again.

I been without a perm for over a year and completely natural as of April. I have not gone to a stylist since I had my hair chopped. I think when I want to wear it pressed out I might go and get it done there but other then that I do my own hair and I love it. I like learning all about my hair and its may textures and how things look on me with a certain style. I also like finding out what works best for my type of hair. But as of tomorrow I am going back into braids. I just want to stop watching my hair grow for a while.

I recently went to the salon to get my hair straightened & trimmed...
It had been over a year and a half & my stylist did an excellent job my hair is so much more manageable now, & my twistout looks lovely & has a natural layered shape, my stylist knew all about my natural haircare regimen & took really good care of my hair throughout the frying process....lol... I did not suffer any heat damage & my hair looks & feels alot healthier. I will incorporate trims into my regimen at least twice a year

I'm natural and I've been doing my own hair for years.

It's not so much that I've had bad salon experiences, I've only been to hair salons three times in my life, I just rarely have the time, and I wear my hair up almost all of the time anyway now.

I wash and deep condition two to three times a week. My normal style is a bun or a very low chignon, my French twists are starting to look too messy now, I need to figure out a better way to make them...

I've been seriously considering going to a salon just to have my hair flat ironed by a professional because the last time I tried it I ended up with less than great results.:look:

Not having my hair "done" saves me a lot of money. I'm floored by the amounts of money some women spend on a regular basis to have someone else just wash and set their hair. I could buy a six months supply of Alterna's White Truffle shampoo and conditioner for what some ladies pay for one weave.

I do my own trims at home or I get my husband to do them for me. He has long hair (for a man) and he loves long hair so I know he isn't going to cut too much off.;)

Hey!!! H-Town here as well. I am totally DIY. I have not found anyone to even trim my hair. My Sister trims mine (she is a licensed comet...lol) BUT I only have hr trim it twice pr year. I have not even entered a Salon in more than 8 years.

KookieMunstah said:
Hey!!! H-Town here as well. I am totally DIY. I have not found anyone to even trim my hair. My Sister trims mine (she is a licensed comet...lol) BUT I only have hr trim it twice pr year. I have not even entered a Salon in more than 8 years.

Hey there! Thanks for the reply. My aunt is a licensed beautician as well so I may very well let her trim me...:ohwell: not sure though, when I was younger she was very "scissor happy"...probably because I did not take good care of my hair.

KookieMunstah said:

BTW Kookie', LOVE your hair!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I diy, haven't been to a salon in over 10 years..
Someday I want to go to a salon and get a good press and trim, but I don't want it enough to go find a salon and pay for it, lol!!

The last time I was in a salon was - close to six year ago. I loc'd, maintained, and unloc'd my hair without going to a salon. I dyed, bleached, and dyed again my hair without going to the salon. I've trimmed my hair several times - without going to the salon.
If I ever wanted to press my hair, I MIGHT go to the salon - simply because I wouldn't feel like choosing & buying a flatiron.
Otherwise - it's very freeing being DIY.

Someone was asking about trimming - I've been trimming to get rid of my bleached/dyed hair - but once all of that is gone, I doubt that I will trim any more than once a year - and as my hair gets longer, I will just do search & destroys for haggard/bent/split ends....

Back