NATURALS please post what type of moisterizer you use

patient1 said:
Me too. The more water it has the more moisturizing it is for me. I think of products like shea butter, etc. as being "nourishing" or "lubricating" but not moisturizing.

However, that's just my hair talking.

p1

No, no patient1, thanks for those terms! I keep hearing 'this or that product gives moisture' so I have been going with the flow with that term. I will start saying lubricating (although it reminds me of K-Y Jelly :lol: )

Bublnbrnsuga said:
No, no patient1, thanks for those terms! I keep hearing 'this or that product gives moisture' so I have been going with the flow with that term. I will start saying lubricating (although it reminds me of K-Y Jelly :lol: )

Darnit. Now you're gonna have me thinking of that too. And right now that's the last thing I need on my mind. LOL!

How about..."protective" instead?

p1

eta: that's not much better, huh???

I use Long Lovely Locks baby buttercream or Qhemets Heavy Creme-I will probably continue using Qhemet Creme after the buttercream is finished because it is pretty expensive for the amount of buttercream purchased. But both of these are really good for me for daily moisture for my ends.

I rotate between these moisturizers.....

Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream
Qhemet Sidr Tree Butter
Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade, the Whipped Pudding is great too but I ran out of that.
S-Curl

Patient1 that is so true, when I use Water Based Moisturizers my hair does great, but when I use creams it really does nothing, But I have to have a Liquid Spray Water Based Moisturizer on top then add a tad bit of a Cream if needed Like when it starts to get cold.

But that is a good point, But then again we all have crazy hair.

After a year and some months of trial and error with products, I have come to the conclusion that water (alone, used by itself with no other applied products) is the best moisturizer for [my] natural hair. ;)

Bublnbrnsuga and paitent1 brought up an excellent point...a point that I just now realized this month! Creamy and/or oily moisturizers, leave-ins, butters, and oils just coat and/or lubricate the hair. They do not moisturize. Moisture is a diffused or condensed liquid which can slightly or moderately wet or dampen your hair. I can only see water fitting into this category of moisture.
And you know what? I used to be someone who said water dries out my hair. That was because of one of two things: 1) using water with other products already applied to my hair and 2) water doesn't dry the hair out...air and other substances are things that dry the hair out. I could go on about this but I'm sure some of you get my point.

Offtopic: Bublnbrnsuga, your hair is beautiful as always in your avatar and signature!!!

Last edited:
Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream for the spring/summer

Avocado Butter for the fall/winter - this is the best discovery ever!

patient1 said:
Darnit. Now you're gonna have me thinking of that too. And right now that's the last thing I need on my mind. LOL!

How about..."protective" instead?

p1

eta: that's not much better, huh???

Let's just say nourish!!! :lachen:

Abba's Leave In Moisturizer - my Staple. No parabens.

Keracare Lite Oil Moisturizer - like it a lot. Contains Petrolatum and Mineral Oil (if you don't like those products). Also contains Methyparaben.

Keracare Oil Moisturizer with jojoba oil - i haven't used it because it's too thick for my hair, but people seem to love it. Contains Methyl and Propylparaben.

I've used Dudleys PCA (like another poster recommended) in the past and its good stuff. The scent is kinda boring (smells like lotion), and it does contain Petrolatum, Mineral Oil and Glycerin (all of which I don't have a problem with). Also contains Parabens.

A bit of Giovanni's Direct leave in and a bit of jojoba oil, mixed together right before I put it in my hair.

Shea butter doesn't work for my short hair (too heavy). I'll try again, for my ends when it gets longer.

I'm thinking of glycerin and water when I start wearing kinky twists and stuff, but is winter the wrong time to be using this?

Brownie said:
I recently also tried the Bedhead curl stuff in the cream formula (from Sally's). This seems to be all right also---better than average.

Above, I did not mean bedhead but noodlehead (Beyond the Zone) in the orangish/reddish tube from Sally's.

I use aloe vera juice, water and inexpensive conditioner and essential oils all mixed together. I seal it with jamaican black castor oil.

im happy for this thread. i so need some hair products. i realized the other nite that i really dont own any anymore lol

it is interesting that the "water is a moisturizer" was brought up because i was thinking about the the garnier fruitis stuff i brought-it's a leave in condition for curly/wave unruly hair. i kinda like the results so far, but i was kinda shocked because it is clear that the product "wets" your hair. it isn't heavy or oily. i guess i was conditioned to believe that in order for a leave in to work on afro textured hair it needs to be heavy or oily. carols daughter makes my hair moist and it is water based too but it is thick and has oil in it.oil alone has never ever worked on my hair, so i envy those than can just use oil.

so far my hair likes the product but i am gonna use it for a full week or 2 before i make a final commitment to using it regularly. the only thing i think i would add is some type of oil when using this stuff or maybe alternating days between this and CD. i kinda think i got lucky with this find. i also have the length and strength serum as a leave in. i only used it once but hopefully it will work too.

i tried seeing some product reviews of people with afro textured hair and garnier but they are hard to find. if someone uses it please post the results :)

this is a pic of the conditioner in case someone ones to give it a try
300569.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting that these ladies figured out the importance of water-based moisturizers and that Miss Chicoro was already onto the loveliness of Aloevera Juice for moisture !!!!!!

My favourite moisturizers and
1. Hair Veda whipped ends and Moist Pro
2. Purabody Naturals murumuru moisture milk
3. Oyin Hair dew

Interesting that these ladies figured out the importance of water-based moisturizers and that Miss Chicoro was already onto the loveliness of Aloevera Juice for moisture !!!!!!

My favourite moisturizers and
1. Hair Veda whipped ends and Moist Pro
2. Purabody Naturals murumuru moisture milk
3. Oyin Hair dew

SimJam - Where do you order your Hair Veda from?

Back