Naturals Please help!!!

BonnieB

Hello ladies, My hair is natural 4a/b texture and I would like to know what are some great products for defining my curls? Also, I heard and read that ayurveda products helps to make the hair healthier. What ayurveda products are good for strengthening, moisturizing and thickening my hair type? Below are some pics of my texture. Thank you ladies in advance!:drunk:

Holiday0062-vi.jpg

Holiday002-2.jpg

Holiday003-2.jpg

Holiday004-2.jpg

Holiday005-2.jpg

This was how my hair looked freshly washed after a bootleg henna. However, this is how it looks mostly after every wash.

I would love the answer to this also, I heard that alma does a good job so I got the oil. I did work because I now have curls on my hairline I never had before. So I got the powder to mix in my conditioner. I'll let you know how it works.

I like Amla powder as a pre-poo. I make a paste with water and a bit of oil (anyone you like - I use African Royale Hot Six, because I want to finish it). Make sure you make it runny enough so there are no lumps, but not too runny. Apply to dry hair for about half an hour, then shampoo out and deep condition as usual. MY hair really loves this, and I favour this to any protein treatments, which my hair absolutely hates. It's also supposed to darken your hair over time (is what they say), but I haven't done it long enough to notice any difference in hair colour. BUT, my hair has been very shiny and very healthy-looking. HTH :)

Thanx ladies. Thank you MissCooth for the compliment. If anyone else has any tips or info to add please chime in! Thanx.

I really love your hair. Really moisturized hair helps with curl definition so make sure you deep condition. I like using a leave-in then Fantasia IC gel for the cheapest way to define my curls on a wash-n-go. Noodlehead from Sally's also does pretty well after the leave-in and before the gel for a little hold; you can usually get both proucts for $10 or close to it. For a more pricier option Kinky Curly Curling Custard does nice and Miss Jessie's products are a love it or hate type of thing. You can check out my blog for some of my other product reviews.

Wow, your hair is beautiful!

Last weekend, I did a pre-poo and added Dabur Amla Oil to my mix. It stinks but it's supposed to be good for strenthening hair.

http://www.dabur.com/EN/products/personal_care/Hair_Care/Amla/

Also, when I Henna, I add some Amla powder to my Henna mix.

For curl (or coil) definition, I use aloe vera gel when my hair is wet, followed by castor oil (love).

As a previous poster mentioned, Miss Jessie's Curling Pudding works well. To use the Curling Pudding, your hair must be soaking wet otherwise, you'll have crunchy hair. Miss Jessie's also contains mineral oil and it's pretty fragrant. Try the sample size and see how you like it.

I also tried and liked Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey. Available at Sephora.

HTH

You have some beautiful growth on you :-) . For curl definition, the first thing I would say is, don't use direct heat on your hair at all. It's a bit radical, but direct heat stretches the texture of the curl pattern out permanently over time. Secondly, hair treatments such as henna to condition and/or color your hair will make it pop. I've heard some women using the bentonite clay, which I can't wait to try :-) Thirdly, make sure your hair is super moisturized. Do a deep conditioning treatment under a hooded bonnet dryer. Always rinse with cool water and, at your choice, comb your curls out under the running water. Shake the curls and don't comb, stretch, or brush from that point on ;-)

your hair is sexxxxxxy! Try some Kinky Curly Curling Custard! It would work wonderfully on ur hair. Also try Coco Curly Butter by Beauty by Donna Marie.

your hair is sexxxxxxy! Try some Kinky Curly Curling Custard! It would work wonderfully on ur hair. Also try Coco Curly Butter by Beauty by Donna Marie.

Lol thank you. I would definitely look into the bolded product. I never heard of this one. Thanx.

I would say that Cassia and henna do a good job of thickening and making hair strong.

Defining curls? Yes - I am still looking for that myself ... :)

I agree with the previous poster on keeping your moisture levels up and, keep doing what ever it is your doing because your hair is fabulous!!!!

Lol thank you. I would definitely look into the bolded product. I never heard of this one. Thanx.
Oh! And be careful with henna. I know it works for a lot of people, but for some, like me with repeated use, it can kill ur curls and make them "puffy straight"

I know that the only thing that has worked to bring some curl back to my stringy texlaxed ends is the Fantasia IC - Silky Gel Moisturizer Activator. It isn't greasy (but it can be a little sticky if it gets on your neck/ears, but I just wipe it off) It makes my hair really soft and then I put KCCC on top of that to hold the curl but I'll probably switch to Aloe Vera gel (since it's cheaper :yep:)

I found it on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Fantasia-Inte...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1236275843&sr=8-2

Sorry, I have no advice.

Just wanted to say that I love your hair, and I kind of wondering what your reggie is. :look:

The products that I am currently (STRICTLY) using are: Organic Root Stimulator Scalp Scrub (to clarify), Creme of Nature Moisturizing Shampoo (green bottle), Pantene Pro V R&N Breakage Defense Conditioning Mask (I LOVE THIS SOOOOO MUCH), Silicon Mix, Organics by Africa's Best Hair Mayonnaise (I LOVE THIS SOOOOO MUCH, also) to deep condition, Freeman Sea Kelp Ultra Nourishing Moisture Conditioner (for Co-Washes), Organics by Africa's Best Curl Keeper Moisturizer, Organics by Africa's Best Leave-In Hair Mayonnaise, Sunsilk De Frizz 24/7 Creme. I wet my hair with a small amount of water and mosturize my hair and ends daily. I also add Organics by Africa's Best Hair Mayonnaise to my ends before I seal my ends. Then, I BUN EVERY DAY! I seal my ends with Wild Growth every other night. I wash my hair on Sundays and Co-Wash on Wednesdays. I air dry after EVERY wash and sleep with a satin cap NIGHTLY.

I henna with Cassia Obovata every 3 months and I do a protein treatment with Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor and Nourish by Healthy Hair Plus Protein & Vitamin Conditioner every 8 weeks. I clip my ends every 4 months when I straighten.

I eat healthy (fruits, vegies, fish, chicken, turkey, lots of other sources of protein, and some other goodies). I only drink Poland Spring (7 glasses daily), Green Tea, White Tea and sometimes orange juice.
I take [(1) MSM 1000mg, (1) Biotin 5mg, (2) Shen Min DHT Blocker, (1) Vitamin C 500mg; in the A.M.] and [(1) Chlorophyll and Alfalfa vitamin, (2) GNC Ultra Nourishair, (2) GNC Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins, and drink 2oz of Aloe Vera Juice; in the P.M.]

I exercise 6 days a week. (A form of staying fit and circulating blood throughout my body especially to my hair.) And I massage my scalp for 5 minutes on Sundays when I wash my hair.

**[Detailed regimen in fotki]** HTH!

Last edited:
Fantasia IC Gel (Blue or Green) and KCC. I love Fantasia gel. these are good if you cowash before use. they work good on wet hair.

Kinky Curly Curling Custard has worked the best for me. I need to revisit the IC gel since so many ladies have mentioned it.

It's official, I'm going to grow 10 inches of natural hair and get my natural curls/waves back. I'm tired of lifeless, bonestraight hair. And I am still not going to cut the ends. I'll have faux curls through rod sets and braidouts to match the new growth. I've figured out a way to return to henna without overly drying hair and I am now loving it...again.

Thanks to whoever sent in the link about Tightly Curly. Thank you!!! Her hair is so much like mine, I'm in shock. When she was a young teen with that fro? I totally comprehend!!! My hair is fro-ish short because it gets so dry. When longer, it smooths down and gets oilier. And I found that conditioners left in that way do define the curls. I'll be returning to this and growing my hair to crazy lengths...with kink! Even though I invested in SE Relaxer and products, I might texturize slightly but months from now. My new goal is the end of Summer and check how I'm liking me hair. Yippee!!! Hippee!!! My refound inner chic Bohemian is on it's way. Heya heya heyy!!!!

For curl definition, I like a good leave in conditioner with a product like KCCC, Hairveda Whipped Gelly, Curls by sister smith WSP. Fantasia IC gel is good too though I find it leaves my hair dry after a lot of uses.

I like that Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioning. I mix it with a little oil (Kemi, Wild Growth, Champagne Curls & Kaviar Kinks, etc) and comb it through. It makes my curls pop and the next morning when I re-wet/rinse it's all silky b/c the shea butter has been in there for so long.

Your hair is gorgeous! I mix some shikakai and Brahmi powder in my conditioner. I basically just DC w/ conditioner and rinse out. I'm no ayerveda queen, but it makes my hair really strong. I never tried to use it to define a curl before.:scratchch

Back