Naturals:PLEASE help me find a protein/moisture balance

Ozma

I am experiencing mushy hair that is starting to break. I have gathered from my searches on LHCF that this is from too much moisture.

I have been oiling and moisturizing too much lately, even though I have cut back to 2x weekly cowashes.

Regimen:
Henna weekly for the last 7 weeks. After today, I am switching to 2x monthly

Cowash 2x week with V05 Moisture Milks or HairVeda 24/7 Moisture (24/7 now replaced with Rusk Sensories Calm Cond.)

DC 1-2x week. I use Sitrinillah, Miss Key 1 en 10 and Lustrasilk Shea Butter in rotation with oils or butters added. I occasionally break an egg and add honey to the dc.

I have been moisturizing with glycerine/water/CoCasta/cheapie cond. mix and sealing with shea butter or amla

My idea was to start using light protein for cowashes - I have V05 Split Ends Anti-Breakage and JASON Lavender Strengthening Cond, and on the weeks in between henna, use Aphogee 2-Step. I would continue to DC with moisturizing conditioner.
Is this too much in the other direction? I know some of you have this figured out by now and I can sure use the help. I am type 3b-4a if it matters at all.

TIA!

I'm in love with Silk Amino Acids for my protein.
I mix it up with my other products.

I've found that my hair doesn't like egg or mayo or any animal proteins, but it loves silk.

i clarify when I wash... I was a mushy victim like u...
it sounds like a lot but I also always use elasta qp dpr-11 which is a moisturizing conditioner...
I liked the way it felt, so i started using it alot... without clarifying... MUSH CITY!
so then I started clarifying then using the DC... but then I noticed still mush...
i added in mane n tail condish, which has light to medium protein as a leave in...
then i detangle... FANTASTIC...
my hair is always ready to style at that point.
i also use curls whipped cream, it defines and moiturizes, but not too much...
i tried qhemet doing the same thing and it just didnt work out as well... too moist

My idea was to start using light protein for cowashes - I have V05 Split Ends Anti-Breakage and JASON Lavender Strengthening Cond, and on the weeks in between henna, use Aphogee 2-Step. I would continue to DC with moisturizing conditioner.
Is this too much in the other direction? I know some of you have this figured out by now and I can sure use the help. I am type 3b-4a if it matters at all.

TIA!

I think adding in light protein would be a good idea.

You can't use Aphogee 2-step every other week though. Did you mean 2min? That would be fine I think.

But definitely do your research first. Check out the protein articles in the newbie manual, they may help (it's in my siggy).

You can't use Aphogee 2-step every other week though. Did you mean 2min? That would be fine I think.

Okay, so 2-step is the serious protein one then? I got confused at the BSS.
I will pick up some 2-minute and try that every other week. I'm glad you replied MSA:yep:
(heading off to search the Newbie Thread)

I think adding a light protein as 1 of your cowashes should help bring back a balance. Once you feel you have a balance you can try to cut back to less than once a week maybe once or twice a month. But you will have to listen to your hair.

I'm one of those weird naturals who uses protein every single week. I get mushy WAY too quickly without it. I alternate between stronger proteins (like Nexxus Emergencee) and milder ones, AO GPB or Aphogee 2-min, and every 6 weeks I do the Aphogee 2 step treatment. I've realized since being here that my hair isn't really fond of cowashing, so I wash and DC with moisture one day, using a leave-in with SAA or another protein after. I wash and do a mild/medium protein treatment the second wash day, and can use more moisturizing leave-in products. My hair is like me, a true Libra who needs EVERYTHING in balance :grin:!

Back