Naturals & phony ponies... HELP! Pics.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Ladies, what do you use to slick it down?! I think My problem is in my technique but I'm including pics to show you what I mean. (Excuse my Ashanti's) :lol: The bunny tail is shrunken and probably bigger but I didn't comb it. The different textures are CRAZY. :look: I still love it though. :grin:

I washed and conditioned then used my leave-ins (HELTR and castor oil.) Then I slicked it down using IC Fantasia Olive gel. I didn't feel like going through all of it so I hit up the edges and smoothed (as best as I could) then put into a pony tail. :look: I sooooo didn't brush/comb the hair at my crown. :lol: so it ended up shrunken (but hey it'll be covered by the pony.) I used a scarf (but it kept moving around so it wasn't perfectly flat.)

It's been a day and my crown is still wet. It's straighter if I slick it while it's dry.

What do you do?

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
I usually wear my hair out for the day, then slick it back and scarf it at night on dry or almost dry hair so it's slick in the morning and not soaking wet.

Thanks! I'm toying around with different effects for textured pieces. I purchased a tight fro, looser end of 4 fro, and blow out pieces that I'm going to experiment with.

Make sure you post pics! I really wanted a phony pony but they look terrible b/c I have this stupid red hair on my tips...and nothing matches. I can't wait for my hair to grow out so I can cut this mess off!

Make sure you post pics! I really wanted a phony pony but they look terrible b/c I have this stupid red hair on my tips...and nothing matches. I can't wait for my hair to grow out so I can cut this mess off!

I definitely will! I think that I've just gotten a bit lazy when it comes to my grass and although simplicity is good.... boring is not. :nono: #teamstylechallenged lol

I feel you. My hair looks darker in some of the pics but it starts to turn this weird shade of auburn in the summer. I want to dye it jet black or highlight it but I'm afraid of the damage. That's the main reason I've been wigging instead of ponying. :ohwell: Have you thought of a rinse or something? I know it's just hair but girl.... yer grass is beautimous! I think I'd cry and whimper a little if you cut it. :sad: :lol:

I definitely will! I think that I've just gotten a bit lazy when it comes to my grass and although simplicity is good.... boring is not. :nono: #teamstylechallenged lol

I feel you. My hair looks darker in some of the pics but it starts to turn this weird shade of auburn in the summer. I want to dye it jet black or highlight it but I'm afraid of the damage. That's the main reason I've been wigging instead of ponying. :ohwell: Have you thought of a rinse or something? I know it's just hair but girl.... yer grass is beautimous! I think I'd cry and whimper a little if you cut it. :sad: :lol:

Aw shucks, thanks! Well let's see...first I did the indigo...but that faded...then I tried a dark brown rinse and that didn't even seem to last for one wash and it made my hair icky. I don't want to use permanent dye and that will fade too and I think the henna will just keep coming back like a plague. It's only like the last four inches of my hair (from when I dyed it last May) that the red is supa bright, so if I can get my hair down to my butt, I don't think four inches will be too bad. :lol:

Iluvsmuhgrass, It seems as tho you've already mastered the art of slickerization :lol:, Your hair is tightened up real nice! :yep:

Shoot, I'm relaxed, can you show me how to slick mine down, Forreal!!! :yep:

I have tried to slick but I think it looks bad on me with a pony. Perhaps because my head is big - idk. Instead what i do is some sort of flat twist design like this:
d4b78065-146a-ae5a.jpg

I think this helps my hair colour blend in with the pony too, I can never get my exact shade.

I actually wash my hair and while wet I slick it back with IC gel. I do not tie it down though. This is a picture of me wearing a phony pony clip that I made. Stole the idea from UPA clip and saved my money. I sewed the hair on the clip.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Iluvsmuhgrass, It seems as tho you've already mastered the art of slickerization :lol:, Your hair is tightened up real nice! :yep:

Shoot, I'm relaxed, can you show me how to slick mine down, Forreal!!! :yep:

You can try a product called hicks transformation. When used on the edges it gives you a sleek shiny non greasy look. It works on both relaxed and natural hair. HTH

I actually wash my hair and while wet I slick it back with IC gel. I do not tie it down though. This is a picture of me wearing a phony pony clip that I made. Stole the idea from UPA clip and saved my money. I sewed the hair on the clip.

So pretty. Love it!

Thanks ladies! I think what irks me is that my scarf gave me a dent in the front. :lol: Believe it or not, when I gel dry hair it looks totally different and straightens out. My grass is weird.

Ladies y'allz grass looks good!

Leesh you made me :lachen: with "slickerization" :lol: That was too funny! When I was relaxed I used Elasta QP's mango butter (but I heard they changed the formula and messed it up) :nono: :(

ErikaUK girl there's nothing wrong with your head! If I can take a pic of my coconut/melon hybrid and put it up for the world to see..... :lol:

katote Wow! It's soooo pretty!!! I thought that WAS a UPA clip! It matches so well!! :yep: *cough* da bidness! *cough*

Pharmgirl247 Cough up the details on how you laid it down!

@Leesh you made me :lachen: with "slickerization" :lol: That was too funny! When I was relaxed I used Elasta QP's mango butter (but I heard they changed the formula and messed it up) :nono: :(

Iluvsmuhgrass, Tell me that wasn't a Super Duper made up word, Lol! I try and keep it light, Ima self proclaimed comedienne! (I think) :lachen:

Thank You, on the rec. I've been using the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and it does a great job of slickin', but as I get deeper into my stretch, I think its starting to battle me! Chile, You knows them edges can give you a fight to the death, I be wantin' to kill they behinds!

i usually apply a moisturizer/leave-in to damp hair and then use gel to slick and then tie a scarf on...but last night i wet my hair and detangled with my denman paddle and then used only shea moisture raw shea deep treatment masque and my hands to smooth and then put on my scarf and this morning my hair was much softer and shinier than when i use gel and felt more moisturized. i thought it wouldnt be enough hold but i drove around today with the windows down, and i usually get alot of flyaways but today i didnt.

I kind of go wild when it comes to slicking my hair down with phony pony.. I use Elasta Smooth as Silk on damp hair brush that back with some Ecostyler Gel.. Sometimes I use the brown, Clear and the Argan Oil Gel... Sometimes I use Aloe Vera Gel Use a scarf to tie it down.. I use one of those half scarf.. It looks like those mesh wrap like the stylist use when you get a doobie and they flat wrap your hair and they use the mesh to tie your hair down while under the dryer except mine is satin.. Not mesh..

Attachments

• hairca11.jpg
    hairca11.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 65
  • hairca14.jpg
    hairca14.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 68
  • SpiralPony.jpg
    SpiralPony.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 69
@OP I think your hair looks good. I do not use gel or anything special but the moisturizer I'm using and would not change the way I do my puffs. Just S Curl, and a comb and my hands and friendly elastic. I don't even use a scarf. If I use a brush it's just for the edges but never for the length of my strands.

This was done on damp hair that had S Curl applied:
October2008BunCake-vi.jpg

This was done on dry hair that was baggied in plaits overnight with S Curl applied:
roPuffSept12008Justoutofbraids-vi.jpg

I REALLY like this!!! What hair did you use???

Wow, that looks really cute. I had never heard of UPA clips, so I looked them up. I can't believe their outrageous prices for a dollar store barrette and a 10.99 bag of hair! I will definitely be making my own too!

Chile, You knows them edges can give you a fight to the death, I be wantin' to kill they behinds!

:lol: I was looked at my Ashanti's and thought.... :look: Um.... yeah.... If I shave these puppies...when they come back.... I'm going to look like "Macy Gray with poke chop sideburns" (lol sorry Undercover Brother moment) :lol:

Seriously though, I was shocked at what water, castor oil, and a scarf could do! :yep:

katote Girl come on in here and share the details! :yep:

Instructions please!!

:lol: I was looked at my Ashanti's and thought.... :look: Um.... yeah.... If I shave these puppies...when they come back.... I'm going to look like "Macy Gray with poke chop sideburns" (lol sorry Undercover Brother moment) :lol:

Seriously though, I was shocked at what water, castor oil, and a scarf could do! :yep:

katote Girl come on in here and share the details! :yep:

Hey Ladies,

The only difference between mines and the UPA clip, is that the UPA clip you can interchange the color part of the clip. For the price I paid for my clip and the hair, I was able to make a couple of clips.

Deets on how I made my phony pony. When you open the clip, you have the metal part on both the right side and the left side. I sewed hair on both of the metal parts of the clip. Then I would put my hair in a ponytail, and when I clamped down on the clip, it would sandwich my hair in the middle. Viola! Easy as pie. The brand hair I used was by Freetress. It matched my hair perfectly. :yep:

I don't have pictures of my slick back but I used Silk elements foam wrapping lotion just to try something out (failed flat twists) and my hair didn't have a wave in it and my hair aside from the ponytail was straight. I put the foam on mostly dry hair and brushed my hair into a ponytail then I put on a cotton scarf so It wouldn't slide off. I'm going to do this again before I flat iron instead of blow drying first. Maybe it will work maybe it won't.

Hey Ladies,

The only difference between mines and the UPA clip, is that the UPA clip you can interchange the color part of the clip. For the price I paid for my clip and the hair, I was able to make a couple of clips.

Deets on how I made my phony pony. When you open the clip, you have the metal part on both the right side and the left side. I sewed hair on both of the metal parts of the clip. Then I would put my hair in a ponytail, and when I clamped down on the clip, it would sandwich my hair in the middle. Viola! Easy as pie. The brand hair I used was by Freetress. It matched my hair perfectly. :yep:

I actually watched the instructional DVD on their website and saw how they interchanged the clips and that would be too much for me but the way you explained it was simple and easy.. You are correct it did matched your hair perfectly..

@Iluvsmuhgrass, It's funny you said that. I absolutely love when women have those types of sideburns, specifically Ashanti! I've always wanted them. I was just telling someone this, who has them and don't like them either!
Don't cut them! Well Ok, If you have to, then give em' to me! :lol: I could use em.' My hair doesn't really grow their, just as bald as I wanna be, Terrible!

Oh, I see you a comedienne too! Macy Gray with Poke Chop sideburns, That is Hilarious! :lachen:

Last edited:
Hey Ladies,

Excellent idea!! I want to do this myself. Do you use regular sewing thread to sew the hair to the clip?

Back