Naturals: Inbetween Stage?

kaleidoscope

I have a question for the naturals (past and present) how do you deal with that inbetween stage of hair growth? Right now my natural hair is at its longest length ever (it's been longer with a relaxer) and I am starting to get frustrated. For a while now I usually wash my hair twice a week and use a leave in conditioner and (bantu) twist my hair, let it dry overnight and untwist (it was always dry by morning-healthy soft and dry, not straw dry) but lately when I do the twists my hair is still damp in the morning and my hair gets HUGE. Keep in mind that I workout everyday and I live in a very humid climate (at least during the summertime) I have wavy roots and curly ends and my hair always tends to be very thick (picture Lisa Bonet from the Cosby Show years mixed with Cree Summer of A Different World). Here's a list of current products

Cantu Shea Soft Shampoo and Conditioner (at walmart)
Infusium leave in (to set and condition twists)
Shea butter (refined, but the only thing added to it is fragrance)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (smooths the ends, and just seems to calm my hair down when I use it in a deep conditioner)
Currently looking for a new deep conditioner because I'm not crazy about Organics Hair Mayo

As with when my hair was relaxed, it reached a certain length and stayed there because I just didn't know how to take care of it past that point. I guess my questions are-what styles should I try that will work for office and exercise and what should I be doing to make it through this inbetween stage. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated

For me a puff is my everday style...it's easy, low maintenence and looks neat. Depending on how long your hair is, they are different updo you can try too, I really like Isis's do. I'm doing a version of the crown and glory method, so I wear braid extensions often too, I plan to wear them until hopefully, by the end of the year, I reach my first goal length. HTH

Maybe pulling your hair gently away from your face would give you a different look when you do your knot outs. You can also experiment with a accessories and headbands (which I have YET to do
frown.gif
)

I think the suggestions so far are good ideas! I think you can be more creative with hairstyles (especially at this stage) once you have some accessories at hand: cute clips, headbands, scarves, etc. Have you tried maybe protective / low manipulation styles like two-strand twists? You can easily change this look by just pinning your hair in different ways and combine them with some accessories.
The good thing is that you won't be "in it" every single day too. HTH!

two stranded twists in a bun. it's a protective style and low maintenance. u can shampoo the twists and conditioner was them. You have to make them pretty small though.

I love two strand twists and twist-outs. Lately though, I've pulled my hair back (using a Denman brush) and pinned it under. Using a pin-on afro puff is my next step.

Right now I have my hair in medium sized 2 strand twists, and have them pulled into to buns.

My hair goes through changes as it grows too. I keep my hair is flat twists mostly because I can wear that style for a few days at least. If you're working out alot and sweat, you probably need to rinse your hair after you workout. Like the other ladies suggested , I would try two-strand twists or loose updo's whereas your ends are protected.

Also, you may want to try some Aloe Vera Gel mixed with that EVOO or alone and that might help with keeping the hair in place if you have it pulled up or back. Good luck!

Back